Dancing with the Stars - Soundtrack

#1
Previous Dancing With the Stars Discussions
Preshow and Week 1 Discussion
Week 1 Poll
Week 2 Discussion
Week 2 Poll
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Finale

Soundtrack
Judges & Contestants
In the News
Music
Sold Out
Free Tickets



Hey All, I thought it might be cool to create a compilation of the season's songs for a soundtrack, since you can find this music at various legal sources as performed by the original artists.

Week 1:

Cha Cha
Respect - Aretha Franklin
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Crazy in Love - Beyonce

Waltz
Come Away with Me - Nora Jones
Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie / Commodores
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
 
#2
Porfirio Landeros said:
Hey All, I thought it might be cool to create a compilation of the season's songs for a soundtrack, since you can find this music at various legal sources as performed by the original artists.

Week 1:

Cha Cha
Respect - Aretha Franklin
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Crazy in Love - Beyonce

Waltz
Come Away with Me - Nora Jones
Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie / Commodores
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
It will be really hard to dance to some of those 'original' ones, since they were not arranged for dancing...
 
#3
flyingwolf said:
It will be really hard to dance to some of those 'original' ones, since they were not arranged for dancing...
At least 4 out of 6 of those I could dance to out-of-the-box. The only two I would question are Beyonce's, which technically is still a good/funky cha-cha, but the hardest one would be Whitney's, as it is more a Viennese tempo. Some pitch adjusting would be all that is necessary.
 
#5
DancingMommy said:
I like this idea.... Maybe ABC will packagese in a spiffy box and try to sell it to us? ::ducks::
I wouldn't be suprised. I have the album from the first season of BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing'
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#6
The ABC version would probably be the TV version, and I have to say I'd strongly prefer music by the original artists. Yes, it's nice to have contemporary music for dancing, but the music on TV sounded a little elevator-ish to me. No offense to the people who said they liked it. At least it is contemporary music. I just think the original artists' songs have more ... spice.
 

Medira

New Member
#7
pygmalion said:
The ABC version would probably be the TV version, and I have to say I'd strongly prefer music by the original artists. Yes, it's nice to have contemporary music for dancing, but the music on TV sounded a little elevator-ish to me. No offense to the people who said they liked it. At least it is contemporary music. I just think the original artists' songs have more ... spice.
I agree with this. I think the originals are far better than the TV version. I think it was a good idea to go with more contemporary music for the show, simply because it would appleal to a wider variety of people...and, let's face it, the network wants it to appeal to the mass market.
 
#9
Porfirio Landeros said:
Week 1:
Cha Cha
Respect - Aretha Franklin
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Crazy in Love - Beyonce

Waltz
Come Away with Me - Nora Jones
Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie / Commodores
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
I watched clips of the show, and with 4 out of the six songs thought "why are they dancing that, the song is a West Coast"
 

mamboqueen

Well-Known Member
#12
I LOVE September, too, but hate to see a great song like that get hacked so badly. Sorry, I guess I'm a purist; and nobody does it quite like EW&F!
 
#13
Very true, somethings should not be touched.

Strange versions of September are wrong. Not as wrong as Kenny G dubbing over Louis Armstrong (Wonderful World), but still very wrong.
 
#14
flyingwolf--where did you buy your soundtrack to the BBC's show? I live in the US, so if it's from a local shop, I won't be able to buy it there. ;)
 
#15
Porfirio Landeros said:
Week 1:

Cha Cha
Respect - Aretha Franklin
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Crazy in Love - Beyonce

Waltz
Come Away with Me - Nora Jones
Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie / Commodores
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
Week 2:

Rumba
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
Endless Love - Lionel Richie / Diana Ross
Hero - Enrique Iglesias

Quickstep
You're The One That I Want - Grease Soundtrack, John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John
Let's Face the Music And Dance - Fred Astaire (Various Others)
It Don't Mean a Thing (If You Ain't Got That Swing) - Tommy Burgos and His Swing Shift Orchestra (Various Others)
 

Medira

New Member
#18
I haven't been overly impressed with the house band, but I would probably buy a show soundtrack if it's released, simply to support the show. Hearing a non-Earth, Wind and Fire version of September was just wrong though! *sigh*
 
#19
Joe said:
pygmalion said:
To a WCS dancer, almost everything in any time signature is a West Coast. :p :lol: :lol:
FTFY. ;)
Only because it's the best dance ever! :rocker:

Now that's what they should have on TV, some WCS. It would be much more appealing and tons of guys would come out to learn it after the show. I mean, hello, boobie tops on the girls. Westies know how to dress... :raisebro:
 
#20
Medira said:
I haven't been overly impressed with the house band, but I would probably buy a show soundtrack if it's released, simply to support the show. Hearing a non-Earth, Wind and Fire version of September was just wrong though! *sigh*
All that was missing was the Disneyland "Key-Tar".
 

Dance Ads