Danzón cubano - elder brother or father of Tango argentino

Danzón cubano - elder brother or father of the Tango argentino ?

Browsing the internet I got stuck to a video clip of Danzón which developement is supposed to be related to the TA.
Danzón, behind Viennese Waltz and Polka is the third dance that was danced in a more or less tight hold. There is kind of a Tanda structure of slow and quick parts. The basic step pattern is quick-quick-slow as in TA. Danzón is an open genre evolving and incorporating different music styles later on. The music reminds me a very little bit of early Canyengue. It was spread all over the latin world at the end of the 19th century. But, in contrast to TA, it has a clave.

Look here

You also can find an archive of Danzón tunes here.

Clave is described as the " soul " of all latin rhythms. It has a set time structure which may be in either 3/2 or 2/3 .

The actual " instruments " are 2 wooden sticks that are struck together , but, clave can also be duplicated on bass and piano ,and is very dominant on Rumba, salsa, and mambo recordings.

Danzon is the original form of Sq. Rumba, from which the construction of the basic Mambo was derived ( and Intern. style Latin ).

If you want more detailed info, I have a 4 part article detailing the pathway of the latin social genre, from a dance perspective, due out in Jan., on a new site yet to be named .

.. I have never been taught this..
Ok, there is no stepping rule in TA, but the quick-quick-slow pattern is a very characteristical rhythm element of Canyengue and Milonguero style music.
(Also see the Ric-Tic-Tic note below in the article of Stephen Brown).

.. looks more like the father of rhumba.
As far as I know it´s the father of Rhumba as well (I would prefer Son, because the Rumba cubana is something totally different, only sharing the same word).

The idea behind this thread is, that some music and dancing styles get their name abroad, far away from their origin. Usually you can read, that the Habanera is the ancestor of TA. It is well known that about 1860, there was a great influence of cuban music and dancing in BsAs. And the dancing of the carribian sailors was called Habanera de salón, due to the origin of the people. The term Havanera was not in use for close embrace dancing in Cuba at that time. And what we call Havanera is a music genre that evolved in Europe, far away from Cuba. Moreover the cuban ancestor of the Habanera, the so called Contradanza francesca, was a choreographed formation dance. So, comparing a few elements of Danzón cubano and TA, there is some evidence (to my mind) to put them closer together.

As far as I know it´s the father of Rhumba as well (I would prefer Son, because the Rumba cubana is something totally different, only sharing the same word).

Authentic " Son " is written in 4/6 timing and Rumba as we know it today, is largely a 4/4 signature . The 4/6 sign. appears in "todays " Salsa .

Son is also a dance " style " as well as a music form, and Danzon is the precursor to the social dance we now call Rumba/ Bolero... in essence, Rumba is a generic umbrella term, encompassing ALL the latin rhythms .

Son is also written in the form of Son Guajira.. Son Montuno and other forms of musical expression within the genre.

Please help me with 4/6 ! What I did learn (when I danced LA-Style Salsa) was kind of 8/4 (the stepping sequence goes over 2 bars).

You were dancing to a 4/4 time signature, with a 2 bar sequence . The most commonly taught form.
Cuban Son is seldom seen or danced by non natives ( I had to learn from Cubans ), and its as much about style, as it is content .
There is a DVD and CD combo recently released ( just before his death this yr ) by Cachao, affectionately known as the Father of mambo ( the music ) and on the DVD, there is a couple of Cubans dancing to a Son Guajira..

I have a small clip (being edited ) demming Son Clave , that will be posted on Salsa Forums to illustrate that point .

There is also a misunderstanding, that ALL salsa is in 2 bar sequences.. not so.... yes, mainly at basic levels, but there are groups ( amalg. ) that are longer in the more advanced range.

Dance Ads