Dave Paris & Zoie - San Francisco 2006

Shouldn't this be posted in a different section of the website? The balancing/acrobatics were extremely impressive, and I know they were allowed to do that at a Salsa Congress, but there's no Salsa in it at all. :?

Kinda makes you wonder why routines that are just lifts and aerials keep getting picked for salsa congresses. Dave Paris, Billy Fajardo, etc...

Just to be different? Showcasing another dance style?:confused:
Yeah, at some of the major Salsa events here in Houston, it's becoming a little more common to include a routine or two that are purely swing, hustle, hip-hop, or otherwise based on some non-Latin music. I figure the Salsa promoters may be trying lure a slightly different audience to check out the event, or perhaps there's just a personal friendship between the promoter and the non-Salsa dance company's director/choreographer.

It's often confusing to me, too.:confused:

Beto

I figure the Salsa promoters may be trying lure a slightly different audience to check out the event, or perhaps there's just a personal friendship between the promoter and the non-Salsa dance company's director/choreographer.
I think I read/heard somewhere that this was the case with Billy Fajardo and Katie Marlow always appearing at Albert Torres' events (like the LA Congress). I think they'd partnered together on one or more events/congresses so that makes sense. If anyone wonders why they're seeing hustle and hustle-style lifts but no salsa/mambo go with them at a salsa congress, that's probably one reason right there.

In my honest opinion I think that Salsa Dancing and Latin Dancing is on the rise. I see more and more promotores in Big cities promoting in direct mail pieces and see more and morebeginners trying to learn the Latin Dance.

Oh come on now. I enjoy going out and seeing one or two acts that are something a little different. Because salsa has so many influences, it's great to see those influences in their pure form. We can only enjoy more and get better from broadening our experience. After four days of performances for an hour or more at a time, it was *******ing and awe-inspiring to see David and Zoe in Toronto.

Dance Ads