Do people confuse Country Western with Ballroom etc.?

samina

My daughter just competed this week in the UCWDC Worlds and came in second (Pro-Pro Divsion) to a dancer from the UK. She's a beautiful dancer--I've seen her in person. And I know there have been people at events from Ireland, etc.
hey, congrats for your daughter, suzieQ! :cheers:

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
My daughter just competed this week in the UCWDC Worlds and came in second (Pro-Pro Divsion) to a dancer from the UK. She's a beautiful dancer--I've seen her in person. And I know there have been people at events from Ireland, etc.
Your daughter is a beautiful dancer, I am happy for her!! 2nd is a great accomplishment.

tangotime

S.fire

The music, at one time , was hugely pop.-- may still be. Have only returned recently, so am not in touch with that scene .

.There was a weekly radio show that featured a well known amer. artist ( cant remember his name ) who dominated the c and w market here .
As far as the teaching side of things, have not seen on the u.k.dance web any mention. That does not mean it is not being done, but i suspect a hard core of dancers exists somewhere .

The music, at one time , was hugely pop.-- may still be. Have only returned recently, so am not in touch with that scene .

.There was a weekly radio show that featured a well known amer. artist ( cant remember his name ) who dominated the c and w market here .
As far as the teaching side of things, have not seen on the u.k.dance web any mention. That does not mean it is not being done, but i suspect a hard core of dancers exists somewhere .
Thank you! I always appreciate your honest answers! ;) I don't think that there is any place in the U.K. does CW. I'd have to ask my friends, but they would probably say what is Country Western? They do Swing and things like that though. So, anything is possible. But I would highly be surprised to find a CW bar or anyone to teach CW in a studio in the U.K. The bars that I went to in the U.K. were anything but CW, but times may have changed since then lol. ;)

I think it probably depends on what part of the U.K. like it is here in the U.S. I wouldn't doubt that they had it. As I said anything is possible. I had talked to my British friends about dancing, and they all know how to do some of the Ballroom/Latin/Swing dances. But when I told them about CW, they were like what is that? So, it probably depends on the area, and what clubs they go to etc. to even know what CW is just the same as the U.S. CW is not offered everywhere in the U.S., and not all the clubs play Country music. I'm sure within time it will grow, but right now it's only in certain locations. But I did ask my friends this after thinking about it, and that's how they all replied.

And since we are talking about different countries, my brother said that in China they have parks where Ballroom dancers go and just dance all night and you can watch them do the Waltz or whatever. He said he's just stood there and watched. He actually knows how to do what we do. He took classes in law school, but he said he never got into it. But he likes watching people dance though. He even watched the PBS special and I was out of the room at that time. But dance is universal, so anything is possible when it comes to dance no matter what dance it is.

samina

my brother said that in China they have parks where Ballroom dancers go and just dance all night and you can watch them do the Waltz or whatever. He said he's just stood there and watched.
yeah, i heard they often do this in huge parking lots... that's how many people in china are into ballroom!

so cool...

yeah, i heard they often do this in huge parking lots... that's how many people in china are into ballroom!

so cool...
Lol... I figure if something like that has impressed my brother, then it must be worth viewing. Although, when it comes to movies, well let's just say that he's been banned from picking out movies for the family to watch lol. ;) But he does know his entertainment though! If I go to China for the Olympics, then that will be one site I would like to see. ;)

kayak

Yes, I was taken to a park near Beijing Univ that has a big dance area. It was fun. As an American guy, I got a lot of attention even though I had only just started couples dancing at the time.

Yes, I was taken to a park near Beijing Univ that has a big dance area. It was fun. As an American guy, I got a lot of attention even though I had only just started couples dancing at the time.
That sounds like fun, and what a great way to enjoy a beautiful park! ;)

DancePoet

Well this is just an observation, but I didn't realize it until I signed up with dancing, but down in the South, we have our Country Western studios and then our Ballroom studios. I have yet to see the two mix together. Is that common with Country Western? But then I got to thinking that the Country Western studios offer a bit of everything which includes the Cha Cha etc., but that again isn't Ballroom it's Country Western Cha Cha. Is that why people get confused? Because Ballroom and Latin to me is not Country Western, and when I talk to dancers even on here they say the same thing, so I'm curious to hear what you all have to say. When I pulled up the NDCA and the ISTD, everything was different from steps to what you learned even. And another reason why I said that is because I was confused when I first started. I didn't realize it either until I had done the research. Now, I love Country Western, and I even own a pair of boots! But International is where it's at for me right now. I absolutely love it too! And yes when I get in the craving, I still do some C&W once in a great while! ;)

Sorry... I meant to put this under C&W!!! I tried to change it, but you can't switch threads I guess. Sorry!!! ;)
I haven't confused the two, I haven't heard of others confusing them, but it seems it could be possible. ;)

I haven't confused the two, I haven't heard of others confusing them, but it seems it could be possible. ;)
Thanks! I think it depends on how much you know about dancing to know the difference between all of the dances. I didn't know a whole lot you know just what I saw on television basically. I was mainly your Ballet and Jazz dancer growing up, which is all I knew about dancing. ;)

It seems that the names themselves, Country & Western and Ballroom, could be enough to mean they are different. :cool:
Lol you would think. But the Country Western studios down here offer Ballroom and Latin classes, but it's CW Ballroom and Latin not like what I do now. So, that's what got me confused. Most studios offer everything, so I'm not suprised. (The one that I attend now is one of the few that don't.) I was just confused, but I get confused easily lol.;)

Lol you would think. But the Country Western studios down here offer Ballroom and Latin classes, but it's CW Ballroom and Latin not like what I do now. So, that's what got me confused. Most studios offer everything, so I'm not suprised. (The one that I attend now is one of the few that don't.) I was just confused, but I get confused easily lol.;)

Many new dancers get confused easily, especially if you went to a studio that offered such a diverse array of instruction. Once you gain experience and dancing in general isn't quite so new to you, you'll find that dances are easier to tell apart. It sounds like a good thing that you have chosen to attend a studio that doesn't offer as much to keep yourself from becoming so confused.

I say good for you and keep at it! Anything that keeps you from becoming confused and helps you grow as a dancer is a good thing!

Many new dancers get confused easily, especially if you went to a studio that offered such a diverse array of instruction. Once you gain experience and dancing in general isn't quite so new to you, you'll find that dances are easier to tell apart. It sounds like a good thing that you have chosen to attend a studio that doesn't offer as much to keep yourself from becoming so confused.

I say good for you and keep at it! Anything that keeps you from becoming confused and helps you grow as a dancer is a good thing!
Thank you!

Until my LW and I started taking ballroom lessons, I had no idea that there even was a country dance movement that included country versions of the waltz and cha-cha. I thought pretty much all country dancing was line dancing (although I guess I had probably heard of the two-step). We have some folks in our local dance community who are active in both worlds and some teachers who teach both styles.

A couple months ago, I attended a group lesson that preceded a social dance. The lesson was on waltz and included figures in which we passed feet. It was my first experience with that. The instructor told me later that passing feet happens earlier in the country waltz syllabus than it does in the ballroom syllabus. I found that interesting.

So, back to the OP, for me it wasn't so much confusion but ignorance of the existence of the country dance world. I suppose anyone who didn't realize that both worlds exist could accidentally find themselves in a country waltz or cha-cha class, thinking it was ballroom.

-IJ

Dance Ads