Do you have to wear boots to compete? (for ladies)

Is it possible to compete in ballroom dance shoes...latin ones? I have never been to a CW comp to see for myself if everyone wears boots.

Sorry if this is a silly question:)

Thanks very much!

BTW I read the rules but they said something like you must wear them at worlds but ntot required if you are in certain divisions ( I dont understand the divisions)

3wishes

The divisions are much like the ballroom divisions, read the rules for the specific organizer that is running the CW event. YES, you should always wear boots in CW events - especially the Worlds event. Check out the ballroom CW boots - they are very very light and seude bottom, in a variety of colors or specially made - however, that said, many times I've witnessed ballroom competition organizers running a few CW rounds - where if you want to wear your latins - by all means please do. I bring my CW competition boots and change shoes. If you want more information PM me.

if you are going to a ucwdc event, the rules require cw boots. if it is sanctioned by someone else, check the rules. i have danced in ucwdc and ballroom venues. i have not found the footwear to make a difference in my dancing. that said, it is easier to do each style in the dance shoes designed for that style

This is my oppinion, and my oppinion only, as I am certainly not in competition status, nor do I know anything at all about it. BUT..... there is NO way that a Country Western Dance to a good CW song can do justice without good ole' CW Boots !!! How anyone could even think about two stepping or even triple stepping in any other type shoe and get the same "effect" is beyond me. If you feel the music and you love country music, you will go like a zombie to your BOOTS !!! Also, you should adorn them with a boot charm on the outside of the left boot. Nothing like a boot-scootin', bling-bling charm dancing along with you! Sorry...just my oppinion.
JingleBoots

kayak

There is a pretty big difference between street cowboy boots and dance boots. My dance boots are closer to ballroom shoes with a high top.

This is my oppinion, and my oppinion only, as I am certainly not in competition status, nor do I know anything at all about it. BUT..... there is NO way that a Country Western Dance to a good CW song can do justice without good ole' CW Boots !!! How anyone could even think about two stepping or even triple stepping in any other type shoe and get the same "effect" is beyond me. If you feel the music and you love country music, you will go like a zombie to your BOOTS !!! Also, you should adorn them with a boot charm on the outside of the left boot. Nothing like a boot-scootin', bling-bling charm dancing along with you! Sorry...just my oppinion.
JingleBoots
What's a boot charm? When I hear "charm", I think Harry Potter... :)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
My dance boots are closer to ballroom shoes with a high top.
Based on my "extensive" research, I agree with the following.

Because of cowboy boots, country western dance is more likely to feature a flat-footed glide with some heel and toe touches rather than a lot of "toe type" dancing

The Official Guide to Country Dance Steps. by Tony Leisner. 1980. Quality Books, Inc. page 65. ISBN 0-89009-331-8

Take away the boots and you end up with "Country Western Two Step" as taught by ballroom dancers!!

Ditto for waltz!!

Cowboy, or "country" waltz consists of gliding steps that are consistent with wearing cowboy boots, rather than "on the balls of the feet" quick steps of the classic version. Neither foot is lifted completely from the ground. Steps should be a light footed glide rather than a flat footed shuffle.
The Official Guide to Country Dance Steps. by Tony Leisner. 1980. Quality Books, Inc. pages 76, 77. ISBN 0-89009-331-8

There's more stuff for waltz. Like two or three different kinds described in "Cowboy Dances" from the 1930s.

kayak

Even if a dancer didn't choose a dance specific boot, being selective in which western boot to buy or grab out of the closet really helps good dancing. I always find the perfect combination of flexibility and traction right at the point I am about to wear a hole in the bottoms :p Those work great for dancing at the bar, but just aren't polished enough for any sort of competition.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I can flex my ankles in my boots.
But, see, that's the sort of thing that CW doesn't pay much attention to.
Heel slippage is very common in a "Cowboy boot". You can't lace 'em down, so they slip with each step.
The style of the dancers wearing this foot gear, rather than "real" "dance shoes" therefore is different.
If you aren't taught to be aware of this, (and really, how many studio teachers have danced in a truck stop or honky tonk, or among a bunch of people with "real cowboy boots") how would you know the difference?

What's a boot charm? When I hear "charm", I think Harry Potter... :)

It's simply a small, preferably "matching" chain with a charm of your choice that dangles from your boot. I'ts eye catchy, it sparkles, and I call them JingleBoots. I've had SO many compliments on mine that I've decided to see what type response I get on the blogs; I may start selling them on Ebay. Our instructor here has two national titles in CW dance, and she threw a fit when she saw mine. They're fun and addictive. Very inexpensive. "JingleBoots" is being trademarked now, so I'm getting started. It's my book that I'm most excited about.

I can flex my ankles in my boots.
But, see, that's the sort of thing that CW doesn't pay much attention to.
Heel slippage is very common in a "Cowboy boot". You can't lace 'em down, so they slip with each step.
The style of the dancers wearing this foot gear, rather than "real" "dance shoes" therefore is different.
If you aren't taught to be aware of this, (and really, how many studio teachers have danced in a truck stop or honky tonk, or among a bunch of people with "real cowboy boots") how would you know the difference?
I see, so you can't really flex the boots at the ankles? Does that mean CW waltz uses different footwork than ballroom waltz (heel-toe toe toe-heel, etc.)? :)

3wishes

It's a gliding footwork. hmmmm, in a venue it's my Justin boots with charms on the laces. In a competition it's my competition dance boots. Yes, the heel of the foot typically slips in the boot a little as you step.

3wishes

"Dance Connection" Dancers Serving Dancers - Grant Austin, Certified Pedorthist. phone 770-539-9474, 5035 Florence Street oakwood, GA 30566. There is a web site for this but I'm not sure if I can post it on DF. PM me for further.

"Dance Connection" Dancers Serving Dancers - Grant Austin, Certified Pedorthist. phone 770-539-9474, 5035 Florence Street oakwood, GA 30566. There is a web site for this but I'm not sure if I can post it on DF. PM me for further.
Thanks for making sure! This case is informational so yes, you may post the site, but please deactivate the link. :)

3wishes

ok, then, Grant is normally at many of the swing events too, he had all of his boot models and those on sale at the last LAPD Classic. You would be amazed at how lightweight they really are. The link (I also have worn evening star boots as well. www (dot) danceconnectionstore (dot) com cheers, me

Dance Ads