Do you have to wear boots to compete? (for ladies)

3wishes

Hi Artemia, if your going out social dancing and the shoes do not have a rubber sole (lots do nowadays) and your comfortable in them, then by all means. Especially if your wearing pants. Out here, lots of friends go the Boot Barn or Sheplers as they are more social dancers. There are plenty of choices out there. If your looking to compete in CW and need a pair of boots - I would not suggest the boots that are in your picture. Take a look at the previous posted web suggestions. You will see the difference and when you dance you will definately feel the difference. Now, as for footwork question, there are plenty of you tube video clips of the Worlds and other CW competition couples - beginners and champions that can help you visualize what we have posted in terms of gliding steps rather than "toe" action. And it definately is not a shuffle step on a flat foot. A really great visual reference point is to watch you tube clips of Brandi Tobias and Ronnie DeBenedetta, current CW World Champions, out of Starlight Studio in San Diego. Have fun.

Now, as for footwork question, there are plenty of you tube video clips of the Worlds and other CW competition couples - beginners and champions that can help you visualize what we have posted in terms of gliding steps rather than "toe" action. And it definately is not a shuffle step on a flat foot. A really great visual reference point is to watch you tube clips of Brandi Tobias and Ronnie DeBenedetta, current CW World Champions, out of Starlight Studio in San Diego. Have fun.
Thanks, 3wishes! :) <off to find videos>

3wishes

Mahalo to you too! Brand and Ronnie do have a couple of really great DVD offerings that show "hot moves" through the Starlight Studio. And wonderful technique detail as well for footwork, styling, etc. Definately one of the more "top" CW dvds out there. Just a thought, not an advertisement.

kayak

Yea, the techniques I learned in CW Waltz are nearly identical to ballroom Waltz for slower songs. Bars tend to play faster Waltz music. So it is more like Viennese with a lot less rise and fall and a creative mix of their own patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdO8GIlcrKo&feature=related
Here's a number of dancers doing waltz at the World's. You can definately see rise and fall, toe and heel and flat as well. Brandi Tobias has a ballroom background in addition to her focus on WCS and CW 2 step. Enjoy.
Thanks! Maybe I'm not looking carefully enough but I still can't see any difference from ballroom footwork. :)

I guess to me, it looks pretty much exactly like American Smooth...but with boots...and hats!

Dance Ads