Do you like Piazzola?

I suppose another answer to the original question is...who cares?

It's music. If you like it, great. If you don't, fine. Feel inspired to dance, great, get up and dance. If not, it's a good break for a drink of water. Who cares? There are people dying and suffering in the world, so by comparison music and dance is just way too trivial to be getting knickers twisted up over.

I suppose the OP has something of a point, though, about new forms of music killing off older forms, and perhaps the dance traditions that go with it. I mean, look at what Beethoven did to music! There were all kinds of beautiful traditions and forms and what did he do? He totally turned everything on its head. Nothing has been the same since. First step: Beethoven; and where do we end up? With Nirvana and American Idol, with all kinds of nose in between like Liszt, or Stravinsky, or Copeland, or Gershwin. And DON'T even get me started about Handel and his Messiah! So, yeah, I guess we really should be careful about anything that even slightly affects traditions.

*rolls eyes*
:cheers:

hooray sensible comment. I think j had a point though on page one when she pointed out that Gardel and Piazzolla have little chance of destroying tango for dancing.

Peaches

No i know about them, I actually went through ALOT of this boards postings when I first started out because I felt bad asking questions I'm sure you guys had answered before. So I'm very well aware that this is a very divisive issue. I'll also more than respect anyones right to disagree, because I understand the tango purists perspective as well. I think what it really comes down to is whether or not a person feels that ALL the qualifications have to be met or just some of them before you can call it a tango.

I just mean that to one person, it might be blasphemy that a certain song is playing and that people are dancing to it. Which is perfectly fine, just go sit that one out. But it's kinda unnecessary to shout down those people as if they had done something truly offensive. I love Piazzolla, and on the very off chance that something nice and slow would come on by him, I would attempt to dance it at a milonga. If it's 'NOT TANGO!!!' thats fine, but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it nonetheless.

Oh and for the record, I have never danced the funky chicken, or any kind of chicken. To any kind of tango. Socially or for performances sake.

I may have worn a clown wig to a prom once though.
Ah. My mistake and misunderstanding of your comments. Er...never mind, then. Carry on.

eta: :)

Another tango being danced to Oblivion by Piazzolla..., played live by Luis Tango Quintet at Poitiers France July 2007

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6HOiX4uicA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6HOiX4uicA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

And for me 99% of this improvised dance could be danced at a social milonga setting..:)

.... In a social setting, however, similar movements can be done, just scaled down and kept low to the floor. So...exactly as danced, not social; with a few things taken out and other things toned down, very social.
So I forgot. When were you going to accept my request for a dance???

Angel HI

Of course, we are all different, and it's ok. Also, it is not necessary to like everything of something (i.e. all songs by a particular artist). Yet, I do not understand how someone can not like Piazzola.

As for the other stuff, I am done with that BS... this is/not tango/tango music therefore BS, BS, BS. What absurdity! A pair of briefs are not real garments b/c they are not an original loin cloth, and if you dance a half box to a lock step it can't possibly be a tango step unless some tinny, scratchy music from the early 90's is playing.

Ridiculous. Let's get back to helping each other to discover, learn, internalize, and enjoy the passion of AT, and leave personalities and idiosyncraties out of it.

bordertangoman

I like Piazzolla's Le Grand Tango; at ten minutes long its a complete tanda rolled into one dramatic and beautiful piece of music.
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOgVpY8KHTA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOgVpY8KHTA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

2.40 isnt very long for dancing ( unless you dont like your partner) I once danced to the whole of Keith Jarret's Koln concert

no one said Piazolla is not tango..there was a distinction that was attempted between perfomance and social dancing.
as for someone in a clown suit dancing tango steps to Beatles music...sure, if that's your taste in tango..and you can call it tango, too...but please don't call it Argentine tango. ..and afterall, that is the name of this forum isn't it? Argentine Tango? ...or am I in the wrong place? Since the forum is called 'Argentine Tango', any debate about what is A.T. is justified in my opinion..to keep us on the topic that we came here to share.... now, what is Argentine Tango?...well, isn't it the Tango that's danced in Argentina socially?...and the Tango that was exported on stage, film, etc.? So, there it is..two forms of Argentine tango..performance and social. of course, we could discuss other forms of tango to throw light on what's happening in other parts of the world..how they may be morphing tango in their own way...but let's get back to A.T. as much as possible and let's make distinctions, geographical distinctions where they occur.
Or would that limit what we talk about too much? I don't think so, do you?:confused:

as for someone in a clown suit dancing tango steps to Beatles music...sure, if that's your taste in tango..and you can call it tango, too...but please don't call it Argentine tango. ..
Can you call it Argentine tango if you're not in a clown suit?

Since the forum is called 'Argentine Tango', any debate about what is A.T. is justified in my opinion..to keep us on the topic that we came here to share....
OK, well now I have received the memo, let me ask you, what do you see as the difference between "Tango" and "Argentine Tango"?

Ah hold on:
now, what is Argentine Tango?...well, isn't it the Tango that's danced in Argentina socially?
Fair enough. So by that measure, no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango, ever, correct?

bordertangoman

no one said Piazolla is not tango..there was a distinction that was attempted between perfomance and social dancing.
as for someone in a clown suit dancing tango steps to Beatles music...sure, if that's your taste in tango..and you can call it tango, too...but please don't call it Argentine tango. ..and afterall, that is the name of this forum isn't it? Argentine Tango? ...or am I in the wrong place? Since the forum is called 'Argentine Tango', any debate about what is A.T. is justified in my opinion..to keep us on the topic that we came here to share.... now, what is Argentine Tango?...well, isn't it the Tango that's danced in Argentina socially?...and the Tango that was exported on stage, film, etc.? So, there it is..two forms of Argentine tango..performance and social. of course, we could discuss other forms of tango to throw light on what's happening in other parts of the world..how they may be morphing tango in their own way...but let's get back to A.T. as much as possible and let's make distinctions, geographical distinctions where they occur.
Or would that limit what we talk about too much? I don't think so, do you?:confused:
Snort! as a friend of mine said; its only traditional tango if it is a recording from 1942; well the first half of 1942. Anything after that is nuevo.

Me

now, what is Argentine Tango?...well, isn't it the Tango that's danced in Argentina socially?...
This question is the flaming dead horse of this forum. I avoid it at all costs, and when this topic comes along, I leave.

...but let's get back to A.T. as much as possible and let's make distinctions, geographical distinctions where they occur.
The topic is "Do you like Piazzolla?" I don't see a reason why we have to discuss what is real tango dancing.

I would really appreciate it if you would do a forum search for a thread about style or nationalism (or whatever else you think defines "Argentine" tango) and continue discussion, there. I want to continue to hear from others about whether or not they like Piazzolla, here. Thanks. ;)

Fair enough. So by that measure, no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango, ever, correct?
Why? There is no reason for this deduction: nothing prevents you from dancing in Australia or in China the same thing that is danced in Argentina socially.
And nothing prevents you from dancing a different thing: in this case you may want to call it with a another name, or not. Everything depends on your definition of AT. Calling it Australian Tango or Chineese Tango could be an option.

I think we should start a thread on definitions: it seems that every thread get hijacked by semantics... but if we don't agreee at less on definitions every other discussion is meaningless.

dchester

Staff member
Why? There is no reason for this deduction: nothing prevents you from dancing in Australia or in China the same thing that is danced in Argentina socially.
And nothing prevents you from dancing a different thing: in this case you may want to call it with a another name, or not. Everything depends on your definition of AT. Calling it Australian Tango or Chineese Tango could be an option.
Dave was asking a rhetorical question (i.e. he's not actually saying he believes or advocates that position, but rather trying to make a point).

Dave was asking a rhetorical question (i.e. he's not actually saying he believes or advocates that position, but rather trying to make a point).
Actually he is advocating the opposite position, substaining that the Marios' one brings to an absurd (that no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango)

Dance Ads