do you like shopping?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
this is inspried by a friend who posted an anti-thanksgiving day shopping post on FB....I have opinions...I am curious about how others feel about both Thanksgiving shopping as well as enjoying shopping in general...my short answer is no to both...I will share more as others chime in

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I prefer to shop online....the totality of my shopping could be summarized as follows; 4 quarterly trips to Target, 4 to kohls...all under an hour to cover a multitude of needs and events...then occasionally a mall trip with daughter for back to school issues and her birthday...in those instances she is aware that I have a 2 hour expiration...and that I require a caffiene break at half time...she is therefore, incredibly adept at spending a ridiculous amount of money in as rapid a fashion as possible....it is a fair deal as far as I am concerned...

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
as far as black friday; I respect whatever practices others have...I prefer not to reward retailers for paying more to employees to force them to work that day to better provide for their families...I would rather they paid a living wage the rest of the year...I know many who find the day a wonderful family tradition to go and shop...my own preference is not to have rituals which center around shopping...but I really don't care as long as it doesn't involve someone who is due at my home that day and elects to shop instead...to each their own...as it is we have family, including myself when I worked for hospice and my brother who is a cop, who have periodically had no choice but to work that day

dancelvr

Other than groceries and drug store items, I'm an online shopper. Living in a small community, I have to drive a bit to get to larger stores or the mall. Plus, I like shopping in my jammies. ;)

I never shop on Black Friday. The crowds are terrifying, and a little nuts. I also feel bad for all the retail employees who have to work those hours.

bia

I don't like shopping in crowds or under pressure, so absolutely no to Black Friday. I don't typically shop for entertainment, but on occasion, with good company, it can be nice to look around at nice things (often without buying). Figuring out new ways to shop for clothes has been one of the major adjustments for me after moving to a town without a mall -- we have a few expensive sorority girl boutiques and a few cheap low quality stores, but nowhere in town with clothes that I would wear. I never thought I cared about having a good mall until there wasn't one I could run out to when needed. I do some shopping runs while traveling, and otherwise shop online, though I much prefer being able to try things on, since website sizing charts are useless, and I *hate* paying for shipping back and forth for something that doesn't fit. I'm getting better at online shopping, though. I've actually found that ebay can work well for clothes, even though sorting through everything is time consuming, because you can get exact measurements for the specific item you're buying.

middy

I like shopping online and occasionally in person. I do enjoy Black Friday to a certain extent, but not when it's super crowded (ick), so the couple times I have gone, I've gone really early to relatively less popular malls/stores.

I also tend to prefer going alone...it can be a fun social activity but I don't like waiting around for friends at stores I don't like, and vice versa, having them wait around for me while I take forever trying on stuff.

sbrnsmith

I do online shopping, but its usually for when I know what I want and size is not an issue. Otherwise as far as clothes, prefer trying things on. I can easily spend half a day shopping with no problem, but have gotten better about curbing impulse and unnecessary purchases. These days I only buy something if I absolutely love it. One of my major shopping addictions is Sephora. I can easily spend an hour there or more.

mindputtee

I don't mind shopping, but much prefer to go alone. I can take as long as I want wherever I want then. I generally require a caffeinated beverage to make it through it though, and it makes the experience more enjoyable. I avoid black friday shopping for the most part though, I don't like crowds.

cornutt

My mom and my mother-in-law both love shopping. My mom is the sort who can go into a department store and browse and try on stuff all day. My MIL is a Black Friday shopper; she's the sort who is at the doors when they open at 5 AM. She also likes to dicker; I think she enjoys that part more than the actual shopping.

I have to be in the right mood for clothes shopping. An hour or two is my limit, and it only happens occasionally. The sorts of stores where I used to like to shop for hours -- record stores, electronics stores, music stores -- have pretty much disappeared.

DW buys most of her clothes online. I've tried that, but I find the process of "receive stuff, try it on, find it doesn't fit or doesn't look good on me, send it back" annoying.

Loki

I try to go offhours or shop online. Sadly, my last online order had to be returned. Sometimes you have to see the goods in person to really tell the quality.

I prefer not to shop when it's crowded, so I stay at home on Black Friday. And in general, other than food and household disposable supplies (like paper towels), since I've pretty much reached the point when I have most of the stuff I need, I try to avoid impulse buying for myself and only buy things when I need to replace something.

Hedwaite

No crowds for me. I panic and get sick, but otherwise, drop me off and let me take my time, or let me go do my own thing. I can't shop if someone says "go ahead, I'll just be here".

I've always wanted to do Black Friday. Not for the shopping, but just for the experience.

As for shopping in general - hate it. I would avoid it entirely but the alternative is going naked. I don't live close enough to San Francisco to justify nudity.

Hedwaite

Speaking of shopping, both brand-new Ulta stores should be opening in November. Can't wait! It takes a lot of paint to cover an ugly barn.

samina

Hah -- I'm so outa this particular loop my initial thought when reading the OP was "What the hella is Thanksgiving shopping?"

But I can appreciate the adrenaline rush people may get from scoring & spending big on Black Friday.

Purr

Hello, my name is Purr and I'm a shopaholic. But I also love getting a good deal. :)

I love getting up early and going shopping on Black Friday, whether it's for person on my holiday gift list or me. It's an adventure.

Purr

Hah -- I'm so outa this particular loop my initial thought when reading the OP was "What the hella is Thanksgiving shopping?"

But I can appreciate the adrenaline rush people may get from scoring & spending big on Black Friday.
The trick is to have a plan and stick to it. Know where the best sales are. Don't overspend. Take snack/meal/rest breaks as often as needed. And know where all the restrooms are.

Dance Ads