Do you play a musical instrument?

I played flute in high school and also oboe and bassoon in the concert band. I took a few piano lessons too. My wife plays the guitar. What do you play?

3wishes

I played the organ first, then the clarinet, but we moved it seemed a lot so keeping with music lessons didn't happen after an upper grade move. Loved the clarinet.

IndyLady

I played clarinet and piano during late elementary/jr high, but left instrumental music so I could take foreign languages (we only had six class periods per day).

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
played cello for two years in elementary school then oboe for about 3 years, also took enough piano to be able to plink my way through simple songs, sometimes even with both hands :)....but voice was really where I had talent and I took several years of vocal coaching

SwingingAlong

viola (string version of clarinet!) cello, folk violin, bit of piano, and medieval recorders all for fun. I still play on the odd occasion but would rather dance:)

played cello for two years in elementary school then oboe for about 3 years, also took enough piano to be able to plink my way through simple songs, sometimes even with both hands :)....but voice was really where I had talent and I took several years of vocal coaching
Well I haven't met too many people who did ballroom dancing and play the oboe like me.

FancyFeet

Flute, piccolo, alto sax and voice here. Thought about being a music major in uni, but decided I didn't love it enough to make it my whole life.

(^ aka, the primary reason why I feel the music and don't count when I dance...)

I'm trying to learn keyboard/piano at the moment, but dance gets in the way ;)

cornutt

So here's a question: of those who play an instrument, how many have had lessons, and how many are self taught? I'm in the self-taught camp.

IndyLady

Lessons. No way would my parents have bought a 9 y.o. a piano in anticipation of unguided self-teaching.

Now the clarinet was free (it was my aunt's) but that was for band, so again, formal instruction.

I did sing in the choir at church and actually joined the adult choir at 14 (upper age limit on kids' choir) but didn't stick with it. I also tried to learn guitar when I was 18 but fingers hurt. I didn't learn discipline/practice until college, sadly I had skated by on talent alone until that point.

bia

viola (string version of clarinet!) cello, folk violin, bit of piano, and medieval recorders all for fun. I still play on the odd occasion but would rather dance:)
Viola power! Me, too. Plus lots of years of piano, but it was the orchestral playing I always liked best. I was quite serious about it for a good while, but haven't played much lately. Decided during grad school that I could really only manage one non-school thing, and chose dance. Maybe again someday; the joint university-community orchestra here is distinctly non-cringe-worthy. Somehow I keep not joining it, though, so it kinda looks like I don't want to.

Dance Ads