Does Anyone Do Hustle Anymore?

tsb

I like both WCS and Hustle and would rather dance a mix of both than do just one or the other all evening. I get bored dancing the same dance all night.

if the song is right (and my partner is adept enough), i'll interchange WCS, chacha & hustle during the same song.

tsb

the main issue in my experience is technique - and as in any partnership, the possibilities tied to the level of the less adept partner.

I used to like it a lot, but I haven't done it in a while. I got "specialized" in standard, and I bet its been almost a year since I even danced it. I promise not to let another year pass. :)

Agreed - Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/how to get this out to the younger crowd? Does the dance itself need to be changed? Taught or marketed differently? Etc.

Jennyisdancing, My 14 yr. old started comp. training in the Hustle. I don't know what it is supposed to be like (I don't dance)...but I can't imagine it being that easy. (What she is doing). This Hustle has a lot of acro. in it, ....is that what hustle is? She has a lot of "lift" experience from her salsa dancing....but I always thought the Hustle was like disco dancing. This is something completly different but very exciting to watch. They are supposed to be competing in Nov.

Jennyisdancing, My 14 yr. old started comp. training in the Hustle. I don't know what it is supposed to be like (I don't dance)...but I can't imagine it being that easy. (What she is doing). This Hustle has a lot of acro. in it, ....is that what hustle is? She has a lot of "lift" experience from her salsa dancing....but I always thought the Hustle was like disco dancing. This is something completly different but very exciting to watch. They are supposed to be competing in Nov.
Here are some examples of Hustle dancing from YouTube. Note: remove spaces between www, copy-paste one at a time into web browser address field, then hit enter.

w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=JX53FujTSLg
w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JpTp4379Y
w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZ_L0qPCz8

Basic hustle dancing does not normally have that much in way of lifts, but some advanced dancers will add it in. It's great that your daughter is learning to dance Hustle. Its really a great dance and a lot of fun to do. Good luck to your daughter with her competition.

pruthe

barrefly,

I assume your daughter is doing a showcase or cabaret-type routine (choreographed, costumes, etc.). Normal lead-and-follow, non-choreographed hustle doesn't have lifts or acro. You are correct that hustle is a dance that came out of the disco scene. However, the dance has evolved quite a bit, so the steps and styling look very different from the old days.

I've done some of both, more hustle than WCS. That may be why I enjoy hustle more than WCS... hmmm.... ;) I would do it and have a great time, if the opportunity arose more often. (I learned it in SE Asia, I'm not living there anymore.)

Hustle is much less emotionally complex than salsa (or even WCS). It's a fast, sharp, unvarying disco beat. Needs a lot of room (even socially danced) and does lend itself well to lifts and dips IMHO. Would be good for teenagers actually, though it's not nearly as popular among younger dancers as swing. Based on the clips you've posted previously of Missy's dancing I suspect hustle will suit her well.

Angel HI

Barrefly, perhaps your daughter is involved in the type of hustle that was popular many years ago on programs such as Dance Fever and Star Search. That hustle was more involved with tricks than dance. The hustle that was referred to here is more along the lines of the styles that derived from what was once called Disco Swing. It is mroe like a Swing dance.

Sorry, JID, if I stepped on what should have been your reply.

GJB

Some of the competitive hustle dancers like to incorporate lifts in their choreography. Hustel comps have a separate division usually called Theatre Arts that allow lifts and Classic that does not.

Some of the competitive hustle dancers like to incorporate lifts in their choreography. Hustel comps have a separate division usually called Theatre Arts that allow lifts and Classic that does not.
Angel - GJB's response is what I meant to say. BTW a reason for my original post was precisely to discuss what Angel referred to, about how hustle has changed. I was looking at some clips from the 70's on utube and the dance did resemble a swing dance somewhat, whereas it doesn't now.

The competition routines were always more showy and difficult with lifts and such. But I do feel that average social-level hustle has changed quite a bit, and is technically harder than it used to be. Old-style hustle could be learned pretty casually from your friends, the way people still do with basic street-style salsa or hip-hop. Today's hustle seems to require a lot more formal training to do properly.

But I do feel that average social-level hustle has changed quite a bit, and is technically harder than it used to be. Old-style hustle could be learned pretty casually from your friends, the way people still do with basic street-style salsa or hip-hop. Today's hustle seems to require a lot more formal training to do properly.
Answering the original question; Hustle is one of the dances in our local UCWDC type social dance crowd. So still danced in this area.

Having attempted to learn disco dance many, many years ago and failed, today's hustle seems a different animal, but I'm not sure why.

Just started beginner class in Hustle, and being ever the cut-up, asked the instructor at the end of first class when are we getting to the John Travolta moves? ;)

I haven't had the time to read through the whole thread but to answer the original question: if you're ever on Brighton Beach or in Jersey or Philly, I would welcome you to enter any number of "russian restaurants" on a friday or saturday night. It seems that - and I don't mean this in any offensive way - basic hustle is all the attendees know how to do. Well, that and some old school waltz and tango.

Laura

Hi, I'm bumping this thread because I had kind of a basic Hustle epiphany this weekend and I'm curious to find out more....

I went social dancing this weekend for the first time since the last ice age, and I ended up dancing Hustle a few times. I've never had a Hustle lesson in my life but for some reason last night it was magic. I loved the music, the simplicity of the basic really inspired a lot of confidence, I was really able to let loose and feel like I was totally grooving to the music and "playing" with my partner. This is a feeling I do not experience very often, and I just loved it.

I think I want to take some Hustle lessons. Does anyone actually teach it?

The DJ at the party played some music that I absolutely loved for the Hustles: Madonna's "Vogue" and that "Just Breathe" techno song (I think it's by Telepopmusic).

Wow. Hustle. Who knew?

GJB

People teach it out here in NJ/NYC and there are social dances regularly. There is a comp in NJ in July and one in NYC in Sep. There is also International Hustle and Salsa in FLA (not sure what month).

I love hustle though I don't dance it that often.

Angel HI

You might wish to reread the thread. There is some info as to Hustle being taught/danced all the time. Certainly, we do.

Ah. Looks like we cross-posted. Glad you're continuing it. It can be fun.

Hi, I'm bumping this thread because I had kind of a basic Hustle epiphany this weekend and I'm curious to find out more....

I went social dancing this weekend for the first time since the last ice age, and I ended up dancing Hustle a few times. I've never had a Hustle lesson in my life but for some reason last night it was magic. I loved the music, the simplicity of the basic really inspired a lot of confidence, I was really able to let loose and feel like I was totally grooving to the music and "playing" with my partner. This is a feeling I do not experience very often, and I just loved it.

I think I want to take some Hustle lessons. Does anyone actually teach it?

The DJ at the party played some music that I absolutely loved for the Hustles: Madonna's "Vogue" and that "Just Breathe" techno song (I think it's by Telepopmusic).

Wow. Hustle. Who knew?
I'm kind of guessing you had someone who was leading you very well. If you have someone who can lead you smoothly and you have some really good music, it's a great feeling. Regarding lessons, if you are on west coast, I really like look of Raul and Sergia. They are in LA. Check out raulandsergiadotcom (replace dot with .) You can find some of their hustle videos on YouTube. Lisa Nunziella is also a Hustle legend. She's in Venice CA and can find at dancewithlisadotcom. There may be others in CA.

Hope this helps.

I didn't think Laura was from the west coast but if she is Atomic Ballroom (I think the name of the studio has changed, but the website info. is still good) has Hustle as well as Hustle socials. Also Hustle is being taught at The Beahive. If Laura is from the east coast...I am sure Lisa will know of studios, if Laura wants to contact her.
Raul and Sergia are really great and I know Raul lived on the east coast for a while.

Dance Ads