Does Anyone Do Hustle Anymore?

Ok. Yanking arms in "Hustle" is *NOT* real Hustle.

I hate hustle. Hustle is PASSE`! Over!

Even though I loved disco in its era, and wanted to dance hustle then,
I don't see any reason to keep it alive now. It's dated. And I've been hurt having my arms yanked around, while the guy just stands there!

West Coast Swing, OTOH,suits many tempos of music and is fun, and the woman has the freedom to play which she doesn't have in other dances.
I just had to respond to this one. Whoever you were dancing hustle with must not have been dancing REAL Hustle, certainly not if they were yanking your arms out of your socket.

ITA that many of the experienced "Westies" in my down think there isn't that much interest or demand for Hustle. And the only apparent demand for Hustle content (music requests at dances, or lesson requests) seems to be generation based. But sadly those amongst the older crowd who want more hustle base their demaind upon music from the DISCO era, and is also unfortunately accompanied by a misplaced notion that Hustle can only be danced to songs at 120+ bpm.

The real truth is that modern Hustle, and by THAT I mean the kind of Hustle it takes to win at the World Hustle Championships, is ideally danced to slower music and does not involve any pain/torture/arm yanking/discomfort on the part of either dancer, particularly the follower.

Hustle, when done well, is smooth, flowing, appears almost effortless in execution, and most importantly, is very attractive to look at.

Really good Hustle dancers, particularly the followers, are very selective on who they agree to dance Hustle with at a social dance. They typically only want to dance with good Hustle dancers who have been trained correctly. And they will always REFUSE to dance with those leaders who have been poorly taught or who have this horrible notion that "Hustle" must be danced to ultra fast music or involves any form of abusive arm work.

Thanks for the input so far - I would expect that the folks on this forum know a lot of dances, hustle being one. But I guess what I was trying ask is, what is your opinion of hustle's appeal to a new/non dancer, or its growth potential compared to other dances, especially salsa or WCS?
I cannot address the growth potential, but I can at least give the feedback that in my local Swing dance scene (which is quite small compared to the big metropolitan hubs) there is a handful of Gen Y'ers who like getting up and dancing to recognizable contemporary (i.e, not 70s/80s old skool) Hustle songs when played. Then again, we've been fortunate to have a local Hustle instructor who has placed in the top ranks several times at the World Hustle Championships... :cheers: and he has had quite an impact on local interest.

Even so, once again I cant help but agree that compared to the Westie contingent, most in the local dance scene prefer West Coast dancing over Hustle dancing anyday. That's just the facts of life.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Welcome, I-Man.
Last weekend one of my friends (and we aren't kids, that's for sure) said that she and a friend had been doing hustle at the CW place, and she really liked it. She will NOT do WCS, however, and the only time she did it was in a performance.

I just had to respond to this one. Whoever you were dancing hustle with must not have been dancing REAL Hustle, certainly not if they were yanking your arms out of your socket.

The real truth is that modern Hustle, and by THAT I mean the kind of Hustle it takes to win at the World Hustle Championships, is ideally danced to slower music and does not involve any pain/torture/arm yanking/discomfort on the part of either dancer, particularly the follower.

Hustle, when done well, is smooth, flowing, appears almost effortless in execution, and most importantly, is very attractive to look at.
Agreed. What I see all too often is the couple will get too far away from each other, and allow their arms to come to full extension. That's where the yanking/arm socket discomforture comes from. The key, IMHO, is to not reach that point.

On a related note, I had the opportunity to dance a hustle with a lady I'd never met before, at a local USABDA chapter. This chapter is slap in the middle of an area dominated by country dancers, and not many know hustle. She knew it quite well (she said she used to compete several years back, but had been away from it for a while), and we had a blast. After I sat down after our dance, someone next to me asked if she was from our studio, or if I had danced with her previously. I said "nope, don't know who she is, never met her in my life." The look of amazement on his face was priceless...

if the song is right (and my partner is adept enough), i'll interchange WCS, chacha & hustle during the same song.
ok... NOW you are talking! :cool:

I love it when you can pull that off.

I also love it when you can "steal" a hustle follower from someone else mid dance, multiple times... in effect, a 3 way cooperative Hustle between two leaders and a follower! :banana:

I-man, welcome to DF.

As Country Western Dance Council has both WCS and Hustle in their line-up, is CWDC where most of today's hustle dancers (as opposed to dancers that learn back in the disco era) coming from?

3wishes

Well, in my area a well known club recently re-located closer to my home. And once a week they offer "retro" night. Which is so well attended that you have to wait hours to get inside. The Hustle is the primary dance and is danced by all ages. Every week. Also, the studio I attend many people ask for hustle as well as a variety of ballroom/latin and swing - even Lindy. I would have to say - at least here in my region - hustle is alive and well - and also very incorporated into all kinds of dance formats - at clubs, studios and our local ballroom competitions. (-:

If it's okay to reference another site (non-commercial), there's a really interesting discussion on how to make hustle appealing to the younger crowd. A lot of agreement on points such as: hustle is seen as cheesy and retro, styling/technique is too difficult or unappealing, cliquishness of hustle crowd, lack of age/ethnic diversity, issues with music, etc.

Peaches

does not involve any pain/torture/arm yanking/discomfort on the part of either dancer, particularly the follower.

Hear! Hear!

I won't claim to be particularly good at it--particularly not since I can't even remember the last time I danced hustle--but when done well with a good leader, I find it one of the smoothest, most gentle dances to do. It seems to come from knowing when to lead the next step, how to use body mechanics and the flow of momentum to elide one step into the next (which means the proper mechanics have to be there to begin with), not taking steps that are too big, and not letting your arms "disconnect" from the body. At least, IME, those are the problems I've seen/felt/had/been corrected on.

I-man, welcome to DF.

As Country Western Dance Council has both WCS and Hustle in their line-up, is CWDC where most of today's hustle dancers (as opposed to dancers that learn back in the disco era) coming from?
To be quite honest it wasn't until I stumbled into these message boards that I ever heard of Hustle associated with any CW dancing. :shock: In the past I had always associated Hustle with either latin/Salsa dancing (at least in the NYC area, the widely recognized birthplace of the dance) or with West Coast dancing (being that so many WCS events also feature Hustle music and dancing, and, like WCS, Hustle is frequently taught as a slotted dance).

My good friend, who used to compete in the UCWDC circuit, says she did not believe the presence of Hustle was all that big in UCWDC really, but then again, she has not actively participated in UCWDC within the past few years, so that may have changed.

Now that I think of it, I should have asked Mike Topel (a well known face in the UCWDC circuit) about it when he visited my area recently.
If Hustle is indeed very prominent in the CW circles nowadays, then great! More power to them. Even more sources of the dance's supporters.

ITA that without active participation, and enthusiasm, from a younger generation of Hustle supporters, then the dance has little chance of survival... unless it morphs again, which is not all that bad of an option really, if it can be made into a more popular dance, or a better dance.

And heck, maybe if the dance changes it's name in the process, then we can finally rid ourselves of these utterly ridiculous assumptions (on the part of uneducated, or improperly trained, dancers) that it has to be danced with a certain amount of arm torture.

Sheesh! :roll: Even Salsa, which typically involves more intricate arm combinations, and poses a higher risk of injury on the social dance floor, doesn't have such a bad reputation.

And heck, maybe if the dance changes it's name in the process, then we can finally rid ourselves of these utterly ridiculous assumptions (on the part of uneducated, or improperly trained, dancers) that it has to be danced with a certain amount of arm torture.

Sheesh! :roll: Even Salsa, which typically involves more intricate arm combinations, and poses a higher risk of injury on the social dance floor, doesn't have such a bad reputation.
I don't think the problem is the intricacy of the arm combinations, but that poor understanding (usually mutual) of how the slotted part works shows up in the arms.

To be quite honest it wasn't until I stumbled into these message boards that I ever heard of Hustle associated with any CW dancing. :shock: In the past I had always associated Hustle with either latin/Salsa dancing (at least in the NYC area, the widely recognized birthplace of the dance) or with West Coast dancing (being that so many WCS events also feature Hustle music and dancing, and, like WCS, Hustle is frequently taught as a slotted dance).
Checking UCWDC.org I don't see Hustle listed.

Once again, my mistake. I'm not a UCWDC member, but the two instructors I get dance lesson from are. I think I'm confusing the dance line-up of some of the competitions they attended. And I thinks some of those competitions may have been a combination of both UCWDC events and one of the swing dance organizations events.

Hustle in Virginia Beach Virginia

Hustle is fairly strong here.
We had a couple of hustle clubs, which isn't bad for the beach.
They switched owners/themes..

But still at Amateur and studio dances Hustle get's people on the floor.

I know a couple of groups that go to MAD Jam and Swing fling.

The huge floors were too packed to move.

Peace,

Brett

REAL Hustle ?.. as in LATIN hustle ?..
My only question about LATIN hustle, going back to the original point which kicked off this thread in the first place, whose contention was that "Hustle is dead", is whether even LATIN hustle is really danced anywhere nowadays (outside of the controlled setting of an instructor's classroom).

wonderwoman

My studio loves hustle. They always pair it with swing in newcomer classes. At least they call it hustle, someone else I heard call it club swing. So if that rings a bell for anyone, it's club swing that we do a lot of and I really enjoy it because it's so easy, hehehe.

Oh we did hustle line dancing at a party last week. lol And samba line. Is it just me or are these crazy hard?

Why does hustle seem to get a bad rap? WCS definitely looks cooler though I don't know any yet.

My studio plays at least one hustle during the social dances. I think they are a lot of fun. Also a studio near where my sis lives has an entire weekly class dedicated to the hustle.

Thanks for the input so far - I would expect that the folks on this forum know a lot of dances, hustle being one. But I guess what I was trying ask is, what is your opinion of hustle's appeal to a new/non dancer, or its growth potential compared to other dances, especially salsa or WCS?
I have been taking Hustle lessons for about 4 months. I'm not sure I used my time wisely because out in the ballrooms it's rarely danced. Maybe one or two songs per evening are good for Hustle.

It's appeal to newcomers is problematic because the 3 count timing is very difficult to learn (perhaps the modern music doesn't flow as well with 3 count timing). Most people (older and younger) give up Hustle lessons after 1 or 2 tries.

Among other problems Hustle styles aren't very compatible. For instance, a dancer that knows &123 has a very tough time dancing with somebody that knows 12&3.

WCS and to a lesser extent ECS seem to be driving Hustle to extinction. Those dances are far more flexible and more instinctive to learn. In my area WCS and Salsa are the kings of the hill and getting bigger.

Most of the 50+ crowd that used to Hustle is forgetting how to do that dance because they rarely get to practice it.

Dance Ads