Does Anyone Do Hustle Anymore?

wooh

Among other problems Hustle styles aren't very compatible. For instance, a dancer that knows &123 has a very tough time dancing with somebody that knows 12&3.
Only if they're under the very false assumption that &123 is different from 12&3.

opendoor

..to newcomers is problematic because the 3 count timing is very difficult ...(..the modern music doesn't flow as well with 3 count timing). Most people (older and younger) give up Hustle lessons after 1 or 2 tries.
Thats makes me wonder, because no one really cares of 3 steps and 4 beats. For a beginner it actually feels like stepping on either beat, only.

Hustle styles aren't very compatible. For instance, a dancer that knows &123 has a very tough time dancing with somebody that knows 12&3.
Only if he/she knows what the 1 is. But who really does? And from that moment on you´ve got it, it becomes secondary.

WCS.. seem to be driving Hustle to extinction. Those dances are far more flexible and more instinctive to learn.
You are right, but why: the really ambitious students choose WCS, because they feel much more challenged. (And the dull fraction lingers with Hustle.) By the way, WCS is backwards compatible..

Most of the 50+ crowd that used to Hustle is forgetting how to do that dance because they rarely get to practice it.
Not over here (northern Europe). They are really agile, much more than the 30+ and 40+ fractions. Family celebrations, marksmen´s fests, and firemen´s balls is an absolutely secure stronghold for Hustle. Note, in Europe we haven´t got something like country twostep, and WCS hasn´t established oneself. So hustle alone (we call it discoFox) fills the gab between 1970's revival party and folk dance.

You are right, but why: the really ambitious students choose WCS, because they feel much more challenged. (And the dull fraction lingers with Hustle.) By the way, WCS is backwards compatible..

Not over here (northern Europe). They are really agile, much more than the 30+ and 40+ fractions. Family celebrations, marksmen´s fests, and firemen´s balls is an absolutely secure stronghold for Hustle. Note, in Europe we haven´t got something like country twostep, and WCS hasn´t established oneself. So hustle alone (we call it discoFox) fills the gab between 1970's revival party and folk dance.
You are probably right -- anything you can do in Hustle you can do in WCS. I imagine as I do more WCS Hustle will become nothing but a memory for me.

I had no idea Hustle was so strong in Europe. If WCS catches on that may change.

Peaches

Love hustle. Sadly don't get to dance it anymore. Saw some tonight at a WCS dance.

Dunno about having lost its funkiness, because I never knew it then. Don't think the arms can look corny, unless they're made to look that way (trying to hard). Don't find any issue with the 3-count-timing-to-4-count-music thing.

ETA: I have heard experienced leaders say that hustle is one of the absolute hardest dances to lead, because of when the lead needs to happen. Something about having to lead on the "ah". Dunno about that, since I've never lead, but I DO know that if the lead happens ON the beat it's already too late...and then it just becomes a pulling match. It seems like one of the easiest dances to get hurt with if some basic points of technique (both leading and following) aren't decent.

Peaches

Only if they're under the very false assumption that &123 is different from 12&3.
THIS! There.is.no.difference. Period. End of story. Once you realize which one the leader is leading, which really only makes a difference when you first start up or if you get screwed up and have to start over, they become exactly the same. Ex.act.ly.

pygmalion

Love hustle. Sadly don't get to dance it anymore. Saw some tonight at a WCS dance.

Dunno about having lost its funkiness, because I never knew it then. Don't think the arms can look corny, unless they're made to look that way (trying to hard). Don't find any issue with the 3-count-timing-to-4-count-music thing.

ETA: I have heard experienced leaders say that hustle is one of the absolute hardest dances to lead, because of when the lead needs to happen. Something about having to lead on the "ah". Dunno about that, since I've never lead, but I DO know that if the lead happens ON the beat it's already too late...and then it just becomes a pulling match. It seems like one of the easiest dances to get hurt with if some basic points of technique (both leading and following) aren't decent.

Hustle is evil. I've only experienced a good hustle leader a handful of times (although I've been told a jillion times what a good hustle follower I am. "You can dance with anybody, P." ) Dang straight I can, when my arm socket health is on the line.

Not saying that most hustle leads out there are bad. Just saying that the cha-chunk feel of poorly executed syncopation, combined with the pull and tug of stiff arms trying to lead a millisecond too late turned me off years ago.

Blech, blech, blech to hustle, IMO, although I have to say that, every so often, there'll be a pop song that's perrfect for hustle. It would be a shame not to have that dance available for use.

Eh. *shrug*

It feels different enough to throw many people off. Technically there are differences in the two but they really shouldn't get in the way of two people dancing if they can maintain an open mind.

(pic on page 1)

So everything I know is from SYTYCD, but SATIN SHIRTS GALORE!!!!

That guy's name is Jamie Bayard, He used to teach at the "Historic Fullerton Ballroom". He now runs JB Dance also in Fullerton, CA. He's mostly a west coast dancer.

Generalist

Hustle is done a lot in my area. I'm not sure why because the dance is doomed to extinction. It's just too difficult to learn and it's danced to period music that will get less popular as baby boomers get too old to dance. R.I.P Hustle!

bia

Hustle is done a lot in my area. I'm not sure why because the dance is doomed to extinction. It's just too difficult to learn and it's danced to period music that will get less popular as baby boomers get too old to dance. R.I.P Hustle!
I don't know; the students at the local university club here love hustle. I wouldn't declare it dead yet.

Huh? It can be dance to a lot of music played in clubs! Hard? Sure you're thinking of hustle and not Spanish hustle or discofox? Very easy learn the basics. West coast swing and triple east coast are harder.

bookish

Depends on what you mean by "hustle." Hustle is popular in the student scene here too and is danced to contemporary pop music. A lot of it is 4-count hustle though. And it's not hard at all if you just walk around each other and do some arm-led turns. But if you mean something like this, then there's a bit more to it:

tangotime

Depends on what you mean by "hustle." Hustle is popular in the student scene here too and is danced to contemporary pop music. A lot of it is 4-count hustle though. And it's not hard at all if you just walk around each other and do some arm-led turns. But if you mean something like this, then there's a bit more to it:

Compared to " Latin " hustle, thats a walk in the park...

bookish

Is this a good example for latin hustle? Just went with the top of the obvious search...

Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing the major stylistic differences.

And some discofox:

I haven't watched much of this either, but it appears to have more of a pulsed feel, as opposed to smooth glidey hustle.

Dance Ads