Doesn´t she look gorgeous?

If my daughter had ever gone out dressed like that, her mother would have had something to say, the jist of which would have been to suggest another profession.
I'm more concerned about the "Saturday Night Fever" era white suit and open-collared black shirt getup. And the mullet. Is it now considered the height of male tango fashion to look like a sleazy, low-rent lothario?

dchester

Staff member
I'm more concerned about the "Saturday Night Fever" era white suit and open-collared black shirt getup. And the mullet. Is it now considered the height of male tango fashion to look like a sleazy, low-rent lothario?
Please don't hijack the thread. We were all having a pleasant conversation about the gorgeous woman in the video. Feel free to start your own thread if you want to talk about outdated male fashions, their dancing, or something else.

Zoopsia59

Please don't hijack the thread. We were all having a pleasant conversation about the gorgeous woman in the video. Feel free to start your own thread if you want to talk about outdated male fashions, their dancing, or something else.

Rain-dog don't let Dchester bother you... he's just being a brat... again. :p

sixela

Doesn´t she look gorgeous?
When she's not moving, you mean? I suppose she's interesting, but that posture can only be comfortable for someone with a set of muscles belonging to an alien life form (though I must confess she's prettier to look at than the grey suits in "The Invaders"). So "gorgeous" wouldn't be the word.

As for when they move, ten for technical merit (or should I say prowess). Apart from that, I can't decide if it's simply been rehearsed to death or if they really lack the soul to make the dance sing and breathe rather than dazzle, and there's something I find really irritating in the extreme kung-fu adornos that never fail to adorn every ocho until you've developed a serious indigestion.

Of course, it's only my personal taste for things a bit more poetic and subtle that shows, I won't object if someone else thinks it's the bees' knees.

Yeah, I'm being harsh, but you were asking, weren't you?

bordertangoman

i think you have a couple of options; either a two-tone suit

or a pony tail,

the cabaceo can be accompanied by a lolling tongue...

LadyLeader

Pista is a very strange place where groups with totally different goals are at the same floor. The Sunday walk couples and the marathon runners* as well as classical ballet dancers are moving on the same pista but it seems to be difficult to tell apart and accept these groups and their goals. (* traveling around chasing their personal top record)

;) One solution could be that the marathon runners put up totally acrobatic performances (you can find them on Asian scenes, try Seoul festival) so even the heaviest dreamers understand that these moves are beyond their capacity.

This outfit makes her gorgeous and I appreciate that performers use their capacity to entertain and inspire, as several others here have stated.

Here the dance is more focused on movements. Clearly outside the Sunday walk vocabulary even this time!
http://youtu.be/cjF4z3jQNb4

sixela

Surprisingly, I find this performance a lot better. Yes, it's not social dancing, but everything they dance is functional and beautiful in its sobriety, and it all breathes just as the music does.

LadyLeader

Could you please do a test and play the original video WITHOUT sound. Just look at the dancing. How do you find it then?

Sometimes when I am confused I turn the sound off. Couples musicality as silent movements is then central. Here I feel that they are somehow out of the song with the sound but they dance fluently when it is off. I am sure they do dance to the beat so the out of song feeling is something else.

I have noticed that some recordings have lost the magic. Same occasion but another recording has the magic. I laborate with an idea of slight asyncronic sound/visual tracks for some cameras - can it be possibly?

opendoor

Surprisingly, I find this performance a lot better..
You are right, when Gisela and Gus started their dancing still was a lot closer to ballet and acrobatics than shown at the 2010 vid. 2008 no one did understand them, so they changed their style from year to year. Nowadays they row towards escenario.

sixela

Here I feel that they are somehow out of the song with the sound
I don't; I think they're perfect even with the sound turned on (I dance quite often to that piece as well). In the first video I find their interpretation much more sterile --and definitely fussy--, but it's not "off" the music either.

sixela

nicely musical with a bit of flash!
I don't agree, but "de gustibus,...". I think he's off the music at times (doing some very fast steps at a moment in a phrase where it doesn't fit) and she often does adornments which to me feel to be at the wrong time - and she does so many of them that you start to expect them depending on how much time she has and what position she is in rather than on whether it all fits the music or the conversation with the leader (nothing's more fun than tit-for-tat adornos in which one partner echoes the other!)

In other words, the bits of flash aren't very well timed, I think. It all looks a bit knee-jerk and mechanical rather than truly playful.

sixela

On the other hand, you also posted a video of them during an improvisation on "Adiós Corazón" that was much nicer.

Perhaps the demos are suffering a bit of "let's cram one more X into it" syndrome. Some people like it, but for me sometimes more is less.

rain_dog

i like this one better

(link deleted)

nicely musical with a bit of flash!
You like it better? But it's the exact same step-for-step "Ministry of Silly Walks" choreography as the video from the first post!

Which confirms in my own mind what I don't like about it - it *looks* like they're just running through a memorized sequence of steps, rather than true lead and follow.

sixela

Wouldn´t that [true leading and following] be a little out of place in a payed performance act?
No. There is such a thing as rehearsing something to death even in theatre and film, and certainly in dance.

And if you lead and follow properly, the couple will move with impeccable timing which is going to be missing with something flashy rehearsed to death. It's not out of place, it's necessary. Otherwise, it'll look as fake as it actually is. Of course, it doesn't mean that knowing what you're going to be doing won't make it easier to do really adventurous stuff, but I think it shows if an effort is made to lead and follow as much as possible.

They are capable of dancing well, moving in unison and interpreting the music rather than demonstrating something rehearsed to death. The clip on Piazzolla shows it, and so does this improvised dance (thanks to bordertangoman for finding it; it's a superb version of Adiós Corazón too):

[YT]TfKELqXaobI[/YT]

My guess is that they are naturally very good social dancers (and she demonstrates skill al alll the possible ways of doing forward and back ochos and picks the one just right for the music with uncanny ability).

It's just that she sometimes --not always-- seem to think that a performance needs everything and the kitchen sink thrown in to avoid being "boring".

rain_dog

Wouldn´t that be a little out of place in a payed performance act? True lead and follow is my job but I expect some precisely done and stunning stuff in a performance done by professionals.
A fair question. I suppose I might be too naive about how much of these demonstrations are worked out in advance. Most of what they do could in theory be led/followed, but that they memorized it step-for-step cheapens it somewhat in my mind.

Dance Ads