Do's and Don't for Dancing Men

pygmalion

I got this topic from a popular ballroom web site, but it made me curious. What are you dancing women looking for in your dance partners? A guy who can dance? What kind of dance? And what kind of personal interactions? A study quoted in an article I read shows that 99% of men started dancing to meet women. So what do you women want/look for in a dancing man? :D

pygmalion said:
I got this topic from a popular ballroom web site, but it made me curious. What are you dancing women looking for in your dance partners? A guy who can dance? What kind of dance? And what kind of personal interactions? A study quoted in an article I read shows that 99% of men started dancing to meet women. So what do you women want/look for in a dancing man? :D
I guess two of my most important things I look for in a partner is rhythm and confidence. I'm a lover Salsa mainly but for me it applies to any dance. I've been to so many classes where a lot of guys cover up "not being able to get the beat" with "you're not following my lead" :? which kinda leads to the next trait I look for. A guy who is confident about his dance but not arrogant. A big turn-off is a guys who says look "I'm the leader and you're making me look bad!" :!: A good dancer/leader doesn't have to proclaim his greatness, it shows on the dance floor.

do: chew gum
do: use good posture
do: watch where your hands are
do: try to stay on timing (emphasis on try)
do: be aggressive and LEAD!

don't: step on me and then blame it on me
don't: try to look like a pro if you are not, be yourself
don't: be afraid to ask someone to dance
don't: listen to your friends if they call you a "fairy" for dancing
don't: set your goals too low

Vince A

OK, MissAlyssa, I'm listening . . .

I bought some gum to chew
I got a back brace to help keep the posture "up for you"
If I watch my hands to much I can't watch your . . . ahem!!!
I'm going back to grade school to learn those darn numbers
But you just told me to watch my hands

If I step on you, does that mean you didn't learn that move?
Professionally, I am always myself
Does this mean you'll dance with me?
I kissed the last one that called me a "fairy" for dancing
But "how low can you go?"

MissAlyssa said:
do: chew gum
do: use good posture
do: watch where your hands are
do: try to stay on timing (emphasis on try)
do: be aggressive and LEAD!

don't: step on me and then blame it on me
don't: try to look like a pro if you are not, be yourself
don't: be afraid to ask someone to dance
don't: listen to your friends if they call you a "fairy" for dancing
don't: set your goals too low
Looks useful to know.

I'm just a little curious as to the reason for the 'Chew Gum' "do" though. :?

( I would have thought of it in the past as a "don't", simply because it can be distracting ).

pygmalion

Yay Frodo! Thanks for your first post! :D

I wondered about that, too. I don't care for gum chewers, myself. But definitely use some sort of breath-freshener, at several points during the night. (This goes for men or women! :D ) It's better to be sure you have fresh breath, rather than assume. I think that's what MissAlyssa meant. :? 8)

pygmalion said:
Yay Frodo! Thanks for your first post! :D

I wondered about that, too. I don't care for gum chewers, myself. But definitely use some sort of breath-freshener, at several points during the night. (This goes for men or women! :D ) It's better to be sure you have fresh breath, rather than assume. I think that's what MissAlyssa meant. :? 8)
I don't much like gum-chewers either - do you guys have Listerine strips yet? Basically a tiny pack of paper thin minty squares which disolve pretty much instantly when you stick them on your tongue. Useful stuff.

Cheers
Sarah

pygmalion

Yes. Those strips are magic! :D Nice and inconspicuous. The little bottles of squeeze-in breath freshener are nice too, but a little more obvious, unless you excuse yourself and handle it between dances. :D

Sarah said:
- do you guys have Listerine strips yet? Basically a tiny pack of paper thin minty squares which disolve pretty much instantly when you stick them on your tongue. Useful stuff.

Cheers
Sarah
LOL funny story is that the very first time I tried one of those I made the HORRIBLE mistake of breathing through my nose!! oowwww!! I learned my lesson... don't try it! I perfer the WinterFresh ones to the Listerine... a bit more palettable. Awesome concept though.

I had a classmate last year from Japan and she had hand soap that came the same way-- it blew my mind! lol Apparently she is used to having to supply her own soap in public restrooms and such.

pygmalion

Don't: try to teach me to dance during the dance. I went to a salsa event recently, and one of the gentlemen there spent every dance we had "teaching" me. "I want your hands here." " When I lead the x-body lead, I want you to ..." and so on. Ha! Instant attitude from me. Okay, hands is one thing. I should make them accessible to the leader (although no one has ever complained before, including my teachers), but a cross-body lead? Ha! Once you lead it, all I have to do is whatever I want, as long as I'm ready to move on the down beat. Sometimes leads can be so amazingly arrogant. :x :lol:

I know! I just had that happen to me... it was the first time I was ever annoyed with it. I hadn't been dancing in a long time then when I go I go to the same place I tend to go and the very first dance I have was with this guy who even stopped in the middle of the dance to give me instruction. I figured I might as well listen to what he had to say but I did not appreciate his method one bit. At the end of the dance he compliments me on how quickly I picked it up. Ya Think? Almost like I know the dance or something!

Dance Ads