Dreams Dreams Dreams… (Dream Thread Club!!!)

Do you recall one of your dreams last night--those magical movies that play inside our heads? Or do you recall an interesting one from the near or distant past? Please blog them here, whenever you feel like it, for perhaps it will enlighten you and us. (Mod-friendly, of course.)

Since we spend about a third of our life in sleep, sleep and dreams are an important part of our existence. As such, dreams have been studied in many ways: including scientifically (oneirology), psychologically, and spiritually. In ancient times, the dream interpreter was heavily valued.

Sometimes dreams reflect things that are going on in your life at the moment. Sometimes they seem literal and sometimes they seem fantastically symbolic. Sometimes they seem prophetic, as if they are trying to tell us something. And sometimes the answer or solution to a challenge comes in a dream!

Whatever they are and where they come from, dreams are like miracles in our lives. I am fortunate that I never seem to have truly “bad” dreams, perhaps ones that are a bit harrowing in the way that a thrilling movie can be. But more often, I have beautiful dreams that inspire me and make me look forward to going to be each night.

Last night, I vaguely remember a talented co-worker helping me on something very challenging at work. I was amazed at how easy he was solving the problem at hand for me. This dream was reassuring me that, in spite of the pressure of my work environment, things were going to be OK…

A recurring dream that I've had, which recurred much more frequently before graduating from my undergraduate college studies--but that would return from time to time in the years afterwards, involved the following:

I am close to graduating, and I have a job lined up. But for some reason, I have forgotten to submit the form to drop a class that I was failing. This means that I'll get an 'F' in that class, not graduate that semester, and then have to repeat that class a year later! And I will not get the job!

I believe that this dream has come back during stretches where I have had stress in my life, especially from work. It feels so real that I am so relieved when I wake up and realize that it was "only a dream"... :)

Last night I had the following dream, and I think it's related to my current pressures at work and in school. I also had some red wine before I went to bed.

My team leader loans me a laptop. I spill a drink on the keyboard, feeling really scared that I fried it!!! I turn it off, then frantically open up the back of it. Wires and components fall out, and I'm scared that I destroyed it.

But a smart co-worker helps me put it back together. We power the laptop up, and I feel relieved that my homework is still on it and opens up fine. I still feel worried that I've lost some of my team leader's data. Overall though, he seems understanding of what happened...

I have very helpful, talented co-workers--so I am not surprised that I was able to find help in my dream, and also that my team leader did not seem overly concerned.

But I was really sweating it out during this dream, my DF friends! Glad to wake up from this one!

Spitfire

After my grandmother died five years ago I had a dream in which all the family and relatives were gathered at her house when suddenly I SEE her and realize I'm the only one who does!
I believe I look away and see her again in a different spot. In both cases she is looking right at me with a grin. I believe I decide to say nothing to no one else present as they would believe I've gone crazy.

wonderwoman

I have been dreaming about dancing lately. I never did once, until I decided I was not going to pursue it for an indefinite period of time. Go figure.

I have been dreaming about dancing lately. I never did once, until I decided I was not going to pursue it for an indefinite period of time. Go figure.

WW, it has been a long while since I've actually dreamed about dance--but my dance dreams have always been beautiful, from what I recall!

After my grandmother died five years ago I had a dream in which all the family and relatives were gathered at her house when suddenly I SEE her and realize I'm the only one who does!
I believe I look away and see her again in a different spot. In both cases she is looking right at me with a grin. I believe I decide to say nothing to no one else present as they would believe I've gone crazy.
Spitfire, dreams about departed loved ones are particularly poignant--as I know first-hand. Such as how a late teenage relative came back to me in a dream as a younger child, asking me, "Do you want to play a game?" This dream happened within a few days after his death, and I took it to mean "Things are going to be OK," and "We will always have these memories"...

Too bad Freud isn't around to give his perspective on your dreams ;) You know he would say something interesting...

I usually have extremely weird/random dreams. The other night I had the same dream 3 times in a row. I was driving in a car from point a to point b and kept getting lost. However, although I had the same dream, the person I was in the car with was the only thing that changed. The 1st time it was my boyfriend, 2nd time it was one of my closest friends, and the 3rd time it was my dance partner. I have no idea if that even means anything, but it was weird.

Too bad Freud isn't around to give his perspective on your dreams ;) You know he would say something interesting...

I usually have extremely weird/random dreams. The other night I had the same dream 3 times in a row. I was driving in a car from point a to point b and kept getting lost. However, although I had the same dream, the person I was in the car with was the only thing that changed. The 1st time it was my boyfriend, 2nd time it was one of my closest friends, and the 3rd time it was my dance partner. I have no idea if that even means anything, but it was weird.
Wow, Eliska! That is one of the most unique dreams that I have ever heard about! We'll have to think about what this might possibly mean and/or how it relates to something in your life.

I'm impressed; talk about an interesting "movie of the mind"!!!

Last night i dreamt i was in Italy. There were lots of beautiful vineyards. I loved it. Must of been influenced by the movie we saw for a girl's night out!This past week we just saw Letters from Juliet. OK I'm a sap but I can get away with it because it was a chick flick and i'm a chick! It was predictable and soooo corny and no surprises, but no cussing and lovely. Vanessa Redgrave was so wonderful. Just wanted to hug her, and she played the perfect grandmother

pygmalion

I remember seeing previews for that movie, but can't remember what it's supposed to be about. :-?

btw, I saw previews for Eat, Pray, Love yesterday. Looks like the movie'll be fairly faithul to the book. There's something weird to me, though, about Julia Roberts playing the part. Maybe it's because the author had such a strong voice that I feel I know her and that Julia Roberts is an impostor.

I rarely remember my dreams, btw, and lately haven't been sleeping deeply enough to have any. :-( But, if I come up with any that are mod-friendly, I will be sure to post them. :cool:

I rarely remember my dreams, btw, and lately haven't been sleeping deeply enough to have any. :-( But, if I come up with any that are mod-friendly, I will be sure to post them. :cool:
pygmalion may you have better sleep and nice dreams that you can remember. they're like free movies after all! can't wait to read about that next one that you can actually recall!

good luck!

Maybe it's superstition but whenever I have lots of cheese before bed it gave me lots of dreams (I used to eat cheese butties for supper)...
flashdance, interesting!

The last dream I had sponsered by cheese would be rated R by the American Board of Film Classification. I do manage to retain some memory of them, used to write them down soon after waking up... sort of like a Captains' log...
flashdance, i love that! sweet or at least interesting dreams can be treasured like gifts

Dance Ads