Drinking and Dancing

Spitfire

Well-Known Member
#1
At most dances I've been to there is no alcohol served, but at those where it is I've noticed that people don't drink much. I'm guessing this is pretty much true at dances in general.
 
#3
Yep, this would be true here, although people do expect to be able to get a drink if they want one. The venues local dance clubs and studios use do tend to have bar service avaliable, but few people drink very much. Water on the other hand, is very much in demand.
This can be a problem as when our club puts on an event we have to garantee a certain amount of bar sales in order to cover the costs of opening the bar (staff and security). If this amount is not exceeded then we pay the difference. :(

Cheers
Sarah
 

Spitfire

Well-Known Member
#4
Currently none of the studios here serve any liquor. The only events where it is served are those held at the local Elks Lodge and at this place which has a frontier dance hall theme known as the Savoy Opera House.
 
#5
Sarah said:
This can be a problem as when our club puts on an event we have to garantee a certain amount of bar sales in order to cover the costs of opening the bar (staff and security). If this amount is not exceeded then we pay the difference. :(

Cheers
Sarah
Just to clarify - this is for parties and such that the clubs throw - not at the studios themselves.....

Cheers
Sarah
 
#6
Sarah said:
Sarah said:
This can be a problem as when our club puts on an event we have to garantee a certain amount of bar sales in order to cover the costs of opening the bar (staff and security). If this amount is not exceeded then we pay the difference. :(

Cheers
Sarah
Just to clarify - this is for parties and such that the clubs throw - not at the studios themselves.....

Cheers
Sarah
LOL!!
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#7
I'm with you, Sarah. Most of my "crazy friends who can't dance" get maybe one alcoholic beverage, and lots of water! We don't pre-arrange with the venue, though. Just go to a club by agreement, pay whatever cover charge, then dance! Then nobody's left holding the bag. Oops! That's an American slang. Do you know it? Uum. It means nobody's left with the unwanted responsibility of paying up when the night's over. (In this context :D )
 
#8
This is an interesting topic.

This past summer Foxwoods casino hosted free Swing Sundays. Every Sunday night they had a live band and great DJ music between breaks. It was so much fun, and it was a great thing to do on a Sunday night. But low and behold, swing dancers don't usually drink that much. So at the end of the summer they did away with it. It was too bad because they got a great crowd of people in there. IT really makes me angry :evil: because the casino is taking in tons of money, and even if people aren't drinking, I'm sure they've put a bit a money in the slots. I hate gambling, but from what I understand a lot of people like it. My point is, if you aren't drinking heavily (as most of us aren't if we want to come out of a dance alive) clubs and bars etc. aren't likely to continue having dances. :cry:
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#9
Here, a couple very enterprising people have made a business of sponsoring public ballroom dances, where there is no drinking at all. They rent a couple venues, supply the DJ'ing, play a good mix of various styles of music, and even call out what the dances are. For $8 or $9, you get three hours of good quality dance music with like-minded dancers in a smoke-free, no alcohol environment. The even include a "free" half-hour class before the dance starts. Good deal.
 

Spitfire

Well-Known Member
#10
pygmalion said:
Here, a couple very enterprising people have made a business of sponsoring public ballroom dances, where there is no drinking at all. They rent a couple venues, supply the DJ'ing, play a good mix of various styles of music, and even call out what the dances are. For $8 or $9, you get three hours of good quality dance music with like-minded dancers in a smoke-free, no alcohol environment. The even include a "free" half-hour class before the dance starts. Good deal.
I would love to see something like this here. There is the USABDA which puts on a very good dance, but it's only once a month. (Well, not quite; it's a dance one month and one the next and a workshop for the following)Something like this would be a nice supplement. :D
 

Spitfire

Well-Known Member
#11
SwinginBoo said:
But low and behold, swing dancers don't usually drink that much.
The only swing venue I've been to that serves liquor is the Century Ballroom in Seattle where I went dancing my last two trips there. It has a very nice bar, but I think they probably sold as much bottled water and soft drinks. I just didn't see a lot of liquor being consumed; too much focus on dancing which is good. :D
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#12
Actually, I think this would be a great business to start on the side, and would look into it, if the market in my town weren't already sewn up! :lol:
 
#13
pygmalion said:
I'm with you, Sarah. Most of my "crazy friends who can't dance" get maybe one alcoholic beverage, and lots of water! We don't pre-arrange with the venue, though. Just go to a club by agreement, pay whatever cover charge, then dance!
Normally, this is what we do too - There's one bar in town which hosts a latin night every Thursday and swing every Wednesday. $2 cover if there's a band. Once a year however, we do it properly! 10 or 14 piece latin band, giant video screen, quality DJing in between sets, between 3 and 4 hundred people having a really great time.
Then nobody's left holding the bag. Oops! That's an American slang. Do you know it? Uum. It means nobody's left with the unwanted responsibility of paying up when the night's over. (In this context :D )
Don't worry, Pygmalion - due to cultural imperialism and the US's overwhelming presence on the world stage, I speak Kiwi but can understand in American. :)
But a biscuit is a cookie, not a scone, and you don't eat it with gravy. That just ain't right. ;)

Cheers
Sarah
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#14
That's too funny. I wonder when biscuits became scones in the US? Hmm. By the way, I hate them with gravy! One of the big cookie/biscuit manufacturers in the US is Nabisco. National Biscuit Company. So, at some point, we imperialist Americans must have known the proper definition of a biscuit! :lol: :lol:

As far as the dance thing, have you considered printing and pre-selling tickets, to keep from being stuck with the costs? Just a thought. :D
 
#15
pygmalion said:
As far as the dance thing, have you considered printing and pre-selling tickets, to keep from being stuck with the costs? Just a thought. :D
Oh yes we do do that - at a small discount even for pre-sales, But we still find that door sales make up the bulk of the income. It's not a huge problem as the club has a reasonable amount of cash in reserve. We usually aim to break even on parties but a small loss will not kill us.

Cheers
Sarah
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#16
You know, when I first saw the title of this topic, I thought about my dancing Around the empty house ritual -- drinking a glass or two of red wine, then dancing around the house with no inhibition. Drinking in a nightclub never occured to me. :D
 
#17
We have an open bar beer, liquor, soft drinks, juice, and water at our studio parties. And we usually have some nuts or chips for people to munch on. Some partake and others don't.
At the local ballroom where the ballroom dance clubs hold their dances they don't serve but you're more than welcome to BYOB. The do serve bottled water, sodapop, and chips.
 

Dance Ads