Dual Dance

Spitfire

One of the studios here has started once a month dance on Saturdays that is dual C&W WCS with C&W on the main floor and WCS on the practice floor, all going on at the same time. Great when you can alternate as you wish. Not saying this is unique, but it's the first such dance like this here. There's also one like it at a Phoenix area studio every Friday, BR and WCS.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I've always felt that one reason I've continued to go to the country western place here in Portland (actually Tualatin) is that there isn't just one dance to do. CW dance places have several to many different dances. West Coast Swing is a big staple here, very often when there is a line dance, or whatever, going on at the same time.

CW has "always" had more than one kind of dance. See Lloyd Shaw's books: "Cowboy Dances" and "The Round Dance Book" published in 1939 and 1948 respectively.

Then there was what one East Coast dj dubbed California Mix, which they actually have played in the LA area (but without calling it that). (To me the Western Swing/ WCS / Country connection has been there since WS/WCS started. But there is no smoking gun." Now a days, people just don't think of "country" and Los Angeles becuase they don't know the history.) Something for eveyone, sort of. Or at least enough other stuff that you aren't doing the same dance, or listening to the same beat all night.

Some communities venture into other dance forms when they get bored with doing the same thing all the time. Lindy Hoppers and "Blues Dancing". Westies and "Swango" are two examples that come to mind.

Both music and dance were a lot less seperated by genre back in the day, but it's a good model for cotinued interest. At least it works for me and the folks who have been going to places like Cowboy Country in Long Beach, and Jubitz and Bushwhackers here in the Portland area for years.

opendoor

One of the studios here has started once a month dance on Saturdays that is dual C&W WCS.....
Great! When I started tango dancing there were a lot of venues with two floors, one with neotango and one for retrotango. But since neotango got oldfashioned, only traditional music is played around today.

pygmalion

I haven't seen a lot of venues that do anything like this, but I think it's a great way to help dance communities share the overhead of sponsoring dances --- if they can find a space that has two floors that can be used simultaneously.

I haven't seen a lot of venues that do anything like this, but I think it's a great way to help dance communities share the overhead of sponsoring dances --- if they can find a space that has two floors that can be used simultaneously.
Or like the Graham Brothers in the SW who put several venues in one building.

The one in Tempe AZ puts three dance venues in one building plus a cafe, located in what could have been a big box store in a mall.

Dance Ads