encuentros

You're making it sound as if encuentro-goers would not like marathons and vice-versa. Do we really want to advocate a Great Schism?

You know, there are those of us who do as the Romans when in Rome, and have a broad church.

I'm not exactly looking forward to more pitched battles between different orthodoxies.
Not sure whether your comment was directed at me, but I agree with you. I think we should all at least go wandering out of our comfort zones (with an open mind) and see what happens, once in a while. We might not find a new paradise, but we might discover it's not exactly hell on the other side either ;)

At the very least, we're likely to encounter some fantastic dancers that we wouldn't otherwise come across...

I'm generally an encuentro-er, but I've enjoyed the odd marathon that I've been to...

Nowadays a lot of different events in europe are called "encuentro". Nevertheless dancing in intimate close embrace at a very high level might get one very sensitive - a bad tanda and the milonga is over.
So there might be some checks neccessary, an extreme example :
For the FCA, we only invite people that we know personally. If we don't know someone who applies to another event (like Pequeña), we spend a lot of time, trying to find out, if this person will fit into the fold: asking other friends, asking them personally where they usually dance or about their general ideas. Sometimes, we might not admit this person right away, but put him/her on the invitation list for the next year, so that we have a chance to get to know him/her during the year. We travel so much, there is mostly the chance for that.
[...]
We usually fill out any event to 70-85% with couples. The rest is reserved for single leaders/followers, depending on how much registered in the first place. It usually takes a little longer to "fill up" the free leaders places, but this is also done in a couple of days. From there on, there will be a waiting list for leaders, followers and couples. But the waiting list for followers is usually much longer and often, leaders cancel on short notice. Then we frantically have to search for new leaders. This won't happen at Pequeña though, because there our leader's waiting list is now very long as well. :)
But I'm fine with that, may be a bit astonished by the high rate of couples. And for single followers it might be a bit difficult to get a ticket. Most will have to be happy with less.

opendoor

You're making it sound as if encuentro-goers would not like marathons and vice-versa. Do we really want to advocate a Great Schism?...
Well, I think you do know, that there isnt any schism concerning this question among the ladies, but I fear there is one among the guys (Not because its more rule-bound. The rules protect the poor leaders, not the skilled ones.)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Is the above video representative of these events?

Newbie posted this defintion.

Tango encuentros are attended by close embrace dancers and are based on strict tango codes.

Am I missing a ronda somehow, which I have the impression is an essential part of the "codes?" Maybe if I watch long enough?

I would assume that it's one of the highly acknowledged encuentros in Europe.
Looking here Encuentros & Festivalitos Milongueros 2017 for Melina's definition I recognize a rather weak wording regarding what's important for you:
5. encourage cabeceo & mirada,
6. encourage dancers to leave the dance-floor after one tanda to find a new partner,
7. are meant to attract people who want to dance in a close embrace in a civilised ronda.

Gssh

Am I missing a ronda somehow
I assume this is just an illusion because it is easier to film a single couple in the foreground doing pretty stuff than the heartbeat of the whole dancefloor.

It is this sense of ronda, of being in a relationship with the other dancers that i am missing most from BA. - i wish i had any idea how to encourage my community to have more of that. It just seems to happen if there is enough musicality and respect(? sometimes it is also one upmanship and scorn?) for the other couples (this is btw why i am not a big fan of people who talk about being in their own world while dancing)

It is this sense of ronda, of being in a relationship with the other dancers that i am missing most from BA. - i wish i had any idea how to encourage my community to have more of that. It just seems to happen if there is enough musicality and respect
The idea behind an encuentro is quite simple: you do not change people, you extract them.
Only those that are supposed to deliver that behavior should get access to such an event.
And as the needed interests and skills are quite rare, you'll have to create a compact weekend milonga series that justifies some travel effort.

Dance Ads