Enlightening Conversations

j_alexandra

It will probably be a lifelong challenge for me to be able to see awkwardness and ineptness as necessary stages to celebrate, rather than PITA phases to blast through as soon as I can. However, Teach reminds me often of how valuable it is to go deeply into the place in me that learns, and to find substance when what I want is surface.
I have been re-reading this thread, and I found this post from an earlier, younger, significantly less patient version of myself. I am pleased to report that she was wrong; it has not been a lifelong challenge to learn to see awkwardness and ineptness as useful and necessary and worth celebrating. It's taken years, but Teach's teaching has paid off -- and I'm talking about Teach telling me that it's valuable to go deeply to my learning place and find substance.

In short:

I've come to a point in my learning at which, when I screw up, when I get something totally, utterly new, incomprehensible, something so alien that I can't even see what I'm looking at, and he wants me to do it? I no longer freeze. I no longer hate or fear it. I no longer have the knee-jerk "can't" reaction. I say, "HOW COOL IS THAT" and try it. Again and again. I'll do it 10,000 times; 9,990 of which will be something other than optimal. But I know that I learn from all of those less than optimal attempts, and that going deep is worth it, worth it, worth it.

I'm not blowing my dance horn, here. I'm celebrating that I can learn, and learn, and learn, and the lessons learned in that studio have paid off in ways I could never imagine. Reading what JA wrote four years ago? She sounds like someone I used to know. And that blew my mind.

I only know who I am moment by moment. And I don't know how I got here.

All the good books recommended here, all the schools of thought, all the ideas shared, yet I can't point to any and say, f'rex, ACIM or Pema Chodron or Wayne Dyer or whoever was the catalyst; perhaps some or all of them contributed. And all of you who wrote in this thread, and shared your ideas of what constitutes enlightenment. Thank you all. You are part of me.

chomsky

I am just envious..70% I am afraid...it used to be 70% wow, this is cool now it's 30%. But I guess that when you reach bottom that's when you prove to yourself how really passionate you are. you are an amateur, the word stems from the latin amo, you love, you have a passion...love is love when things are hard, not when they're easy...

chomsky

I have been re-reading this thread, and I found this post from an earlier, younger, significantly less patient version of myself. I am pleased to report that she was wrong; it has not been a lifelong challenge to learn to see awkwardness and ineptness as useful and necessary and worth celebrating. It's taken years, but Teach's teaching has paid off -- and I'm talking about Teach telling me that it's valuable to go deeply to my learning place and find substance.

In short:

I've come to a point in my learning at which, when I screw up, when I get something totally, utterly new, incomprehensible, something so alien that I can't even see what I'm looking at, and he wants me to do it? I no longer freeze. I no longer hate or fear it. I no longer have the knee-jerk "can't" reaction. I say, "HOW COOL IS THAT" and try it. Again and again. I'll do it 10,000 times; 9,990 of which will be something other than optimal. But I know that I learn from all of those less than optimal attempts, and that going deep is worth it, worth it, worth it.

I'm not blowing my dance horn, here. I'm celebrating that I can learn, and learn, and learn, and the lessons learned in that studio have paid off in ways I could never imagine. Reading what JA wrote four years ago? She sounds like someone I used to know. And that blew my mind.

I only know who I am moment by moment. And I don't know how I got here.

All the good books recommended here, all the schools of thought, all the ideas shared, yet I can't point to any and say, f'rex, ACIM or Pema Chodron or Wayne Dyer or whoever was the catalyst; perhaps some or all of them contributed. And all of you who wrote in this thread, and shared your ideas of what constitutes enlightenment. Thank you all. You are part of me.
I am so going to steal this for my fb!!!thank you!thanks for writing this!

Wake with the sun - There is no purer light than what we see when we open our eyes first thing in the morning. Resisting the morning's first waking moment instantly adds stress to your day. Avoiding the sun, you commence a chase that lasts all day long: running short of time, balance, peace and productivity.

Make your bed - The state of your bed is the state of your head. Enfold your day in dignity. The five minutes you spend making your bed slows you down from your frantic, morning scrambling and creates a calm retreat to welcome you home at night. Plus, making your bed means you've already achieved an even more challenging feat: getting out of it.

Sleep when tired - Nothing more to it.
Love everything you said here, gotta work on these 3....not a morning person (better nowadays), almost never make bed (except for when guests coming), and tend to goof off before bed time even when I'm tired (oh this one is hard) lol

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
thanks for sharing...I agree for the most part , but continue to be ambivalent about most statements which contain the claims of "all" and having seen many types of anger which arise from loss, I will probably continue to be....but it's an interesting concept

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Anger is the fight part of the fight/flight response. And when you encounter loss and grief, anger is a natural fight response to that. Depression would be the flight response.

But still those emotions, anger, sense of loss, grief, depression... all stem from fear. Not simplified fear as in OMG there is a monster under my bed, but fear as in my world is not safe, I am not safe, things happen that I am not in control of.

When we encounter fear that we are not in control it can be expressed via all sorts of negative emotions.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I get your point, I just remain undecided on it...on whether or not I think that framework is the best theoretical explanation of every experience of anger and what it boils down to...I think a person can be angry about loss without the best explanation of that anger boiling down to fear....or ego....I think it is a mostly valuable construct most of the time, but I don't see it as necessarily an absolute or always best understood in that way....but, that is why I threw the question out.....to hear other thoughts...and to reinforce the reality that folks can in fact disagree without being disagreeable :)

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Lol

And when we are being disagreeableand angry it still boils down to fear :) Fear of not being heard, of being marginalized, fear that our world as we perceive it (and wish it to stay under our control) is not safe. That our "ego" is threatened.

How'd ya like THAT?!?

Dance Ads