Exercise/Diet Support Group

3wishes

Attempting to get back into the swing of things, different Zumba class, at different location, had to.....after the class I truly liked started doing a ton of ....well....sigh....Marine Corp style strength moves and flying/hopping jumping jacks. Killer on ankles and knees in my viewpoint. Which is why I left my first Zumba ever class,

Loki

Med includes much less animal protein and allows whole grains. Supposed to be anti-inflammatory and the current research (Medscape, etc.) seems to be pointing to chronic inflammation causing a lot of nasty stuff. Med is also supposed to reduce the incidence of age-related dementia, but many would say I’m already demented, so...

Purr

Has anyone taken a TRX class? My local parks & recreation department is offering one, and I'm thinking of signing up. The class meets once a week for four weeks.

I use the TRX at the gym, but I only know the 4 movements I learned in physical therapy: rows, fly, push-up and squats. Rows and squats are not bad; I finally built up enough upper body strength to get in one or two decent sets of the fly movement; and the push-ups need work.

FancyFeet

Now that I have changed jobs and lost access to the free gym at work, am mulling over my options.

I've eliminated the really-inexpensive options that don't have the equipment I need/like, so am between 2 mid-range options or one higher-end. The higher end one is about $20 a month more than the mid range but offers a lot more options... including unlimited classes, access to multiple studios that can be used for practice, hot tubs and saunas/steam rooms for sore muscles. Definitely leaning that way, which is surprising me - because I'm usually all about the low cost, no frills options!

Purr

It's been awhile since my last physical therapy appointment, and so far I've been maintaining the exercises I've learned. Lower back pain is gone, and sciatic pain in my right leg is minimal to nonexistent. So, all is well.

Extra side benefit - I had 2 different dance teachers, not my regular pro, tell me my frame is stronger. Other interesting phenomenon - I seem to have become "one of the guys" at the gym.

Purr

I've eliminated the really-inexpensive options that don't have the equipment I need/like, so am between 2 mid-range options or one higher-end.
This is why I didn't opt for a new gym that's almost walking distance from my house. They didn't have a TRX or good enough cable system. I had high hopes when it was under construction, and it was disappointing when I toured it after it opened. So I renewed my existing gym membership instead, which has the equipment I need/like.

Purr

Can you describe what this means?
It means my posture is better, my dance frame is more stable, I'm on my own weight/balance, and I'm not weighing down the lead, at least not intentionally. Especially for ballroom dances like waltz or foxtrot, it means I can hold the position I'm supposed to be in better.

So while I wouldn't say that dancing with me before was like hauling around a huge sack of potatoes, the exercises have helped improve the experience.

How to get past the "I should exercise" and even the "I want to exercise" to the actual "I exercised today"? Once I fell out of the exercise habit I have struggled to climb back into the saddle, so to speak. Well, since it included cycling, I suppose literally as well.

I actually do enjoy exercise, the kinds I used to do.

I mean the off-the-dance floor kind of exercises: weights, mat work, swimming, cycling, or even just walking. (Running is out, due to injury.)

Motivation tips welcome.

RiseNFall

Motivation tips welcome.
Here are a few possibilities:

Try the Streaks app.

For me, it's better to start small: plan something doable and find some way to make yourself accountable. When I am out of the habit of doing something, I need to schedule it, have a check list, SOMETHING, or I just don't do it.

Reward yourself. If you reach a specific goal, do something/buy something for yourself. Make the goal something that doesn't get "cancelled" if you mess up. For example, a goal of "I'll do x everyday this week" is over if you miss one day. Better something like, "I'll reward myself after I've done x on 5 days".

start small: plan something doable and find some way to make yourself accountable. When I am out of the habit of doing something, I need to schedule it, have a check list.
Yes good advice, spot on. Thank you @RiseNFall. I'm remembering now how this goes, having been thru this cycle many times. And actually having done the exercise will really feel like reward enough.

I'm now remembering years ago when I needed to resume exercising that my first small goal was just to pack the gym bag, not even drive to the gym. Being behind schedule was keeping me from getting there, so having the bag packed got me closer.

I like charting, those sheets in the weights room with all the reps and weights column for each date. I've always wanted to get a packet of gold star stickers and stick them on. Apps on phones are the same idea I guess, virtual stickers.

It really helped me to have a gym/yoga buddy. We motivate each other to actually show up and push ourselves in our workouts. It's also really nice when my instructor notices how my outside work is effecting my dancing -- i.e. "your balance is improving" or today, "your legs are getting stronger". :)
Yes @Wannabe Triple Threat. Agreed on both counts. When I was regularly working out, outside of dance, the strength did help a lot. And not carrying the extra weight helped.

This time around the workout buddy idea backfired. Ended up spending all my gym time teaching them dance instead of working out. Already too much time at that. But the cycle before this, my workout buddy back then was the primary motivating factor since he was also my aerials partner and so, highly motivated to get me strong and lean! There was a responsibility toward each other, a direct benefit to our dancing. So, depends on the workout buddy.

Dance Ads