Exercise/Diet Support Group

DrDoug

mamboqueen said:
Carrots will not sustain; they have a high glycemic value (according to Mr. South Beach diet) and basically turn to sugar and blast through your system....they will not remotely fill you, but if you need a zap of energy in about 1/2 hour, carrots and orange juice should be quite helpful.
I haven't read the South Beach book, so I don't know what "glycemic
value" refers to. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm lists the
glycemic indices and glycemic loads for carrots from four different
studies, and the glycemic indices (how fast your blood sugar rises
after you eat them) are all over the place, but the glycemic loads
(the product of glycemic index and "available carbohydrates", which
is total carbs less fiber, i.e., the amount of carbs your system
actually absorbs) are all low. I take this to mean that carrots
contain a lot of fiber and a small amount of sugars or things that
your body converts to sugars. Perhaps if your sense of being satiated
depends on getting a lot of carbs, then carrots won't fill you, but
if it depends only on getting something in your stomach, they will.

skwiggy

For me, something like carrots help with all those other reasons why I eat, other than to feel full.

I eat because I'm hungry. I eat for fuel/energy. I eat because it tastes good. I eat from anxiety. I eat because I'm bored.

I'm trying to stay away from the last 3, and *especially* the last 2. Reframing my view of food, and trying to change my disfunctional relationship with it.

mamboqueen

I almost started a thread on this the other day and then I realized a thread about nuts probably *is* nuts.

Here's my pecking order in a can of mixed nuts (lightly salted):

Pecans
Almonds
Cashews
Peanuts (when desparate)
Brazil Nuts (when dying)

i can't do that because i can't moderate serving size. next thing i know, it's 300 calories later. (a mere ounce of pecans is 200 calories. guess how many nuts that is! and i'm trying to lose weight, after all.)

god i'm hungry. day 4 of the cleanse, going strong!

mamboqueen

I know....you can't eat just one. In fact, if you hide them in a little chocolate, it'll fill you faster *LOL* Gotta angle the chocolate in there.....

Speaking of which...ever have Harry & David's moosemunch? Chocolate covered caramel popcorn (with regular interspersed). OMG! I buy a bag at Marshall's and eat all the chocolate covered ones in like 30 minutes time and even thought it makes me feel sick, I keep stuffing it down the trap.

skwiggy

alemana said:
i can't do that because i can't moderate serving size. next thing i know, it's 300 calories later. (a mere ounce of pecans is 200 calories. guess how many nuts that is! and i'm trying to lose weight, after all.)
I have the exact same problem with nuts.

Sometimes when I'm not feeling full after dinner, and I've already tried filling up on fruit, a spoonful of peanut butter helps. Although that's also TONS of calories, so I try not to do that very often. But I buy the natural organic kind, so hopefully it's not quite as bad as the processed stuff.

mamboqueen

Okay; so....went down a dangerous path. Marshalls is right *in* my building. Went and got a bag of Moose Munch and then saw an absolutely stunning Dooney & Bourke bag (and let me say, I'm not one of those hung up on the names...I saw the bag 15 yards away and had no idea who made it). Anyway, $70 later....plus another $70 on clothes....was an expensive trip for Moose Munch.

BUT, take a guess what color my new pocketbook is!??!!

oh not at all, I meant the diet part at least, giving up chocolate. hardcore i tell ya heh

btw i'm in PAIN today from a total of 2.5 hours of yoga yesterday (in addition to abs session + jazz class + running + dancing). not my usual schedule but i' trying to get back in the game (as if i ever were in it) without starving at all of course

two and a half hours of yoga is definitely hardcore, yo! my interest flags at about the 60 minute mark, which is too bad because most useful yoga classes are at least 1:15 or 1:30.

skwiggy

Hard core seems to be the only thing that works for me. And the older I get, the more hard core I need to get to make a difference. Ah well, you know what they say... anything worth having is worth working for.

Dance Ads