Favorite Dance?

Favorite and Least Favorite Dance Styles

Hi,

I bet this has been done before on Dance Forums, but I had this idea to make a list of my favorite/least favorite dances in a list, with the favorite on top and the least fav on bottom, in order of preference.

Here goes, and everyone please join in:

Salsa
Rumba
ECS
Cha-Cha
Lindy Hop
NC2S
Foxtrot
Waltz
Hustle (x10)

Sagitta

Swing Kitten said:
Is there anything other than Lindy?

;)
For us generalists there always is!!! :)

For the moving dances...1. waltz
stay-in places dances....1. salsa

Need a little more experience before I start ranking dances the way you did SG. Got to know the dance fairly well before you can rank it, unless it's a matter of not liking the music.

Phil Owl

Love: :D

EC Swing
Hustle
Cha-Cha
Salsa
Foxtrot
Rhumba (American style)

Mixed Feelings: :?

West Coast Swing (I have to think about it too much, it just doesn't come naturally to me no matter how hard I try)

Cannot Stand: :evil:

Quickstep (Way too corny and Lawrence Welk for me)
Meringue
Line Dancing in general

Wish I Knew More Of:

Tango
Waltz

Could Be Talked Into Learning (by a persuasive woman)

Two-Step (it looks like a blast!)

In general, I am just not a big fan of the International Standard Dances (Int. Waltz, Int. Tango, Int. Foxtrot, Int. Quickstep). They just seem so restrictive to me (as opposed to American Smooth) and it seems like the patterns require more concious estimation than the smooth patterns (i.e. the smooth patterns are simple like "back, side, together", whereas a standard pattern might be "side and slightly back, 1/8 turn to the side, and together with one foot a half of a foot length in front of the other" Ugggghhh :( ) I think I would like them more if I simply knew more about them (our instructor hasn't really hit them that hard yet). I hate the Quickstep in particular *shudder* Something about the footwork just seems completely illogical to me. *sigh* Enough complaining, though...I really really LIKE American Style Waltz, East Coast Swing, Rhumba, and Cha-Cha, and International Cha-Cha, Rhumba, and Samba. Wish I knew how to Jive better. As for other dances, I LOVE the look of Paso Doble but I don't know much of it other than the surplace and some basic shaping...polka is silly but a lot of fun :lol: , don't know Hustle but it looks like a TON of fun, don't know Mambo but I want to cause it looks fun...lol, I seem to like more of the dances I DON'T know than the ones I DO know!

pygmalion

There are very few dances I've done that I don't like, so here are my current preferences of dances I can actually do, in descending order: (All american style, for now)

cha cha
rumba
club salsa
west coast swing
samba
merengue
bolero
ballroom mambo
tango
slow waltz
east coast swing
Texas two-step
nightclub two-step
quickstep
peabody
polka
foxtrot

C&W line dance depends on the dance

HATE: hustle -- doesn't even go on my list!

Sagitta said:
Need a little more experience before I start ranking dances the way you did SG. Got to know the dance fairly well before you can rank it, unless it's a matter of not liking the music.
Well, most of the dances I've listed are ones that I've been studying for the past 6 months...but I had no dance experience prior to that. While I'm not very good at any of them...some dances I just was called to and love the music and flow of the dance. My original goal was to learn Swing dancing since I used to be a saxophone player, and I developed my sound by listening to players like Coleman Hawkins, Bird and Coltrane (and many others). I had the music in my blood...but never was into dancing. Latin music came difficult for me as I never studied or played it...but that is also my main motivation to learn...once my musician ears started to pick up the rhythms...I was hooked!

Other dances, like Hustle...I just can't stand it! I've tried several times, but both my mind and body just know its not right for me. Tango and NC2S are styles that I've had no lessons on and only done a few times at dances...and while I barely know the styles, the first time I did them, they just felt right! I've never done WCS, but I love to watch it and hear the music its danced to..so its next on my "dance to do list." :)

Pygmalion said:
There are very few dances I've done that I don't like, so here are my current preferences of dances I can actually do, in descending order: (All american style, for now)
Pygmalion - Wow that's a great list! As I'm still a newcomer to dance I honestly don't know if what I've learned is American, Smooth, etc...I feel kind of ignorant in that regard...something I need to ask my teachers and learn!

We seem to have similiar interests...I really love Cha-Cha and Rumba...but don't get the chance to do them as much as I'd like to. And I can't stand Hustle either...hey on that note, I don't think you ever shared that last Hustle workshop you went to...but I get the impression it didn't change your desire to learn the dance. 8)

If I make it to the DF Reunion...I hope we get to share a few of our favorite dances, and no Hustle either! :)

Take care,

SG

Favorite to Least favorite

Samba (who needs the rest when you've got samba?)
Rhumba
Cha-Cha
Jive (I can never seem to remember anything I learn in it though)
Waltz
Quick Step (don't get why lots of people seem to hate this one)
Vienese Waltz
Tango (would probably like it more if I knew more of it)
Fox-Trot

(those are all the dances I know, and I like all of them)

Would like to learn
Salsa
Merengue
Swing (any kind)

Spitfire

Swing Kitten said:
Lindy Hop and .... ummm... no... errrr.. ahh......

;)
Way to many to stick to any one style. :)

Just got to have variety with my dancing. Getting back to the original question; for me:

Favorites: ECS/Cha-Cha equally

"Middle" Favorites: Rumba, Waltz, NC2S

Least Favorites: Foxtrot, standard Tango

To Be Determined: Lindy Hop, WCS, Hustle - Need to work on these

Decisions, decisions :?
The top 3 will vary in order depending on which dance I'm doing more often - doing Lindy more often now:

Lindy-ECS (mix 6 & 8 count, but gotta do swingouts!!!)
WCS
Salsa
Merengue
Texas Two-Step & Polka (with Western Swing-double turns)

Like least (correllates with my dislike for the music-except for waltzes & freestyle)
Cumbia
Tejano (Mexican country)
Waltz (whether Western or Ballroom)-I just can't get comfortable with it-too slow-not practical for clubs except for the Western type
Any freestyle dancing including line dances (the kind of stuff I might end up doing on a bad dance night)

Not much experience with it or don't know
FoxTrot, Samba, Hustle, Cha-cha, Tango, Rhumba, Bachata

Sagitta

Dancegal said:
Decisions, decisions :?
Like least (correllates with my dislike for the music-except for waltzes & Waltz (whether Western or Ballroom)-I just can't get comfortable with it-too slow-not practical for clubs except for the Western type

Not much experience with it or don't know
FoxTrot, Samba, Hustle, Cha-cha, Tango, Rhumba, Bachata
Have you tried Viennese waltz. That's pretty fast!!! And they do play that at ballroom dances.

As for bachata if you see it you can do it. Basic count is three steps, then a hold on the fourth beat.

As for me I like merengue -- it allows me to work out kinks in my salsa moves. And allows me to provide an easy introduction for people who've never danced and are unsure about their abilities!!! Always looking to add to the number of latin dance lovers!!! :)

Spitfire said:
Swing Kitten said:

;)

To Be Determined: Lindy Hop...
--need I say more? ;)

*tisk* *tisk*

An interesting judgement coming from someone who does not yet lindy!

I'm not saying it's not true... but interesting all the same!!

hmmm :nods head knowingly:

pygmalion

scorpionguy said:
Pygmalion said:
We seem to have similiar interests...I really love Cha-Cha and Rumba...but don't get the chance to do them as much as I'd like to. And I can't stand Hustle either...hey on that note, I don't think you ever shared that last Hustle workshop you went to...but I get the impression it didn't change your desire to learn the dance. 8)

If I make it to the DF Reunion...I hope we get to share a few of our favorite dances, and no Hustle either! :)

Take care,

SG
Hey SG! Save me a cha cha. :D I actually haven't learned any new dances in the past eight or nine months -- I'm working on improving my technique for the dances I know. But I'm starting work on a couple new dances within a few weeks.

The hustle workshop was good, because it helped me figure out why I hate hustle. It didn't change my mind, though. :lol:

Spitfire

Swing Kitten said:
Spitfire said:
Swing Kitten said:

;)

To Be Determined: Lindy Hop...
--need I say more? ;)

*tisk* *tisk*

An interesting judgement coming from someone who does not yet lindy!

I'm not saying it's not true... but interesting all the same!!

hmmm :nods head knowingly:
In other words Swing Kitten I don't know Lindy well enough to determine how much I will enjoy doing it and that's why I say I need to work on learning it. :wink:

Dance Ads