favourite celebrity tango dancers/couples?

For those of you who watch tango performances on YouTube, I wonder who are your favourite tango dancers or couples? And why?

Eugenia. Whether or not you like her style, she was the first follow I saw who visibly appeared to take significant control over her styling. Although Chicho certainly was/is a strong lead, and I don't believe that he gave her much latitude with respect to the step/move of the moment, she was inspirational to my partner who suddenly realized that the woman really has control over how she moves her body, which is applicable in any embrace, not just the liquid embrace used by Chicho.

My and my partner's admiration for this aspect of her dance continues to today:

Eugenia. Whether or not you like her style, she was the first follow I saw who visibly appeared to take significant control over her styling. Although Chicho certainly was/is a strong lead, and I don't believe that he gave her much latitude with respect to the step/move of the moment, she was inspirational to my partner who suddenly realized that the woman really has control over how she moves her body, which is applicable in any embrace, not just the liquid embrace used by Chicho.

My and my partner's admiration for this aspect of her dance continues to today:
That's such an interesting observation - I just started working on my styling recently (tango newbie here :p) and I will definitely watch a lot of her videos to understand what you meant by taking control over it.

It's funny that I only started watching Eugenie Parrilla a couple of days ago as I found out that she used to partner with Chicho. But all the YouTube videos of her and Chicho were kind of old and blurry. I could see the difference between Yanick and Chicho for sure when they dance with Eugenie.

What do you mean by 'liquid embrace'?

I am interested because I do like how Chicho and Juana dance (and just to digress for a second, there is always a lot of info about Chicho but rarely Juana) but I have not learned nor observed enough to make any sorts of judgements.

What do you mean by 'liquid embrace'?
No fixed embrace. Shifting between close embrace, even apilado, and a wide open, loosely connected embrace (even NO physical embrace as with soltadas). You see this with Yanick and Eugenia in the video above. They start in a straight-on flat close embrace and quickly move to open embrace, and then, as the dance progresses, to an even looser connection.
I am interested because I do like how Chicho and Juana dance (and just to digress for a second, there is always a lot of info about Chicho but rarely Juana) but I have not learned nor observed enough to make any sorts of judgements.
Chicho, along with Gustavo Naveira and Fabian Salas, were the first to deconstruct tango and create a full understanding of the possibilities of the dance. Juana is a beautiful dancer, but didn't play the same role in the evolution of tango as Chicho did. Hence his relatively greater fame.

Also, this is tango, and he is the man. She is just the woman. (I hope you caught the sarcasm.)

But all the YouTube videos of her and Chicho were kind of old and blurry.
Most of the youtube videos I've seen of Chicho and Eugenia were ripped from the 2004, 2005 or 2006 CITA Tango DVDs (Best of CosmoTango). The originals were a bit clearer, and are all available from Fabian Salas's site.

koinzell

I mostly watch dancers/couples who have a traditional style. Although in the beginning I did watch Chicho quite a bit. As my dance evolved, I realized dancing simple is more beautiful and more difficult, but that's just my opinion.

Even though everyone on this board hates him, I love Javier Rodriguez! I also enjoy watching Osvaldo Zotto and Lorena Ermocida but most of their videos are VHS quality.

Most of the youtube videos I've seen of Chicho and Eugenia were ripped from the 2004, 2005 or 2006 CITA Tango DVDs (Best of CosmoTango). The originals were a bit clearer, and are all available from Fabian Salas's site.
You are the best!!! I will go hunt them down!

Do you know where I can find good quality recordings of Carlos Gavito??? Thanks :)

I mostly watch dancers/couples who have a traditional style. Although in the beginning I did watch Chicho quite a bit. As my dance evolved, I realized dancing simple is more beautiful and more difficult, but that's just my opinion.

Even though everyone on this board hates him, I love Javier Rodriguez! I also enjoy watching Osvaldo Zotto and Lorena Ermocida but most of their videos are VHS quality.
May I just follow up with what you meant by traditional style? I've heard of Milonguero vs. Salon vs. etc as a way to distinguish different styles of tango... Is 'traditional' used as an opposition to Nuevo? I know my instructor does traditional style but I really couldn't tell how traditional it is.

Why do people hate Javier Rodriguez????!

I just saw a video of him and Geraldine Rojas (she's aged! I love her dancing with Carlos Gavito... Always feel like the young star vs. old maestro combination) and he is gracious!

Do you know where I can find good quality recordings of Carlos Gavito??? Thanks :)
There are some instructional videos with Carlos Gavito and Marcela Duran - Un Tal Gavito, Volumes 1, 2 and 3. I only have volume 1, but it is most interesting, and shows him dancing to A Don Agustin Bardi, La Bordana and Gallo ciego. Vols 2 and 3 each also have three dances by Gavito. They are Solo Tango productions from Argentina.

May I just follow up with what you meant by traditional style? I've heard of Milonguero vs. Salon vs. etc as a way to distinguish different styles of tango... Is 'traditional' used as an opposition to Nuevo? I know my instructor does traditional style but I really couldn't tell how traditional it is.

Why do people hate Javier Rodriguez????!

I just saw a video of him and Geraldine Rojas (she's aged! I love her dancing with Carlos Gavito... Always feel like the young star vs. old maestro combination) and he is gracious!
I meant both Milonguero and Salon when referring to traditional. You might notice Javier does both depending on the music he's dancing to. Every video I've seen of him dancing to staccato music has been done in Milonguero style. When he dances to Di Sarli or Pugliese, he does Salon. I'm not quite sure why people here dislike Javier, there's a thread about it somewhere.

Mladenac

I meant both Milonguero and Salon when referring to traditional. You might notice Javier does both depending on the music he's dancing to. Every video I've seen of him dancing to staccato music has been done in Milonguero style. When he dances to Di Sarli or Pugliese, he does Salon. I'm not quite sure why people here dislike Javier, there's a thread about it somewhere.
There is a thread on Tango videos
http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/javier-rodriguez-and-carla-rossi.46129/page-2#post-1077346

For those of you who watch tango performances on YouTube, I wonder who are your favourite tango dancers or couples? And why?
OMG The Costas are my faves!!!!! :inlove: I actually saw them in live performance once, in London about 5 or 6 years ago. I had only been learning tangoes for a few months at the time and I was just flabbergasted! Never had a chance to watch them live again although I've seen so many of their videos...

OMG The Costas are my faves!!!!! :inlove: I actually saw them in live performance once, in London about 5 or 6 years ago. I had only been learning tangoes for a few months at the time and I was just flabbergasted! Never had a chance to watch them live again although I've seen so many of their videos...
I love them too! I often watch their YouTube videos so closely and try to copy Amanda Costa's styling... :p I wish I could see them live someday!

There are some instructional videos with Carlos Gavito and Marcela Duran - Un Tal Gavito, Volumes 1, 2 and 3. I only have volume 1, but it is most interesting, and shows him dancing to A Don Agustin Bardi, La Bordana and Gallo ciego. Vols 2 and 3 each also have three dances by Gavito. They are Solo Tango productions from Argentina.
What about performance recordings? I only know the Original Forever Tango recording and will try to get a copy of it. Is there anything else on his performances?

PS: These Gavito instructional videos are so hard to find!!

Last edited:
Ahhhhh it seems they changed the cover of the DVD version of the instructional videos...

TomTango

I like performers who show emotion (I hate wooden performances) and whose musicality is so good and/or original it changes the way I dance to a song. So I know they're THE popular couple, but Noelia and Carlitos are my favorites. Their musicality is so good. I like how Noelia raises her shoulders during an intense moment, even though it's "bad form." I like the idea that the moment was so intense and emotional form slips. Makes the performance more human.

I also like watching Momo Smitt. I like how he tries to perform like he social dances, and again, original musicality that changes the way I dance.

Finally, I've been liking Adam Cornett dancing with Tilly more and more. They had a particularly good performance in a black light milonga.

tangobro

among my favorite women are:
Noelia Hurtado
Virginia Pandolfi
Lorena Ermocida
Mamié Sancy
Samantha Dispari

guys:
Carlitos Espinoza
Ney Melo
Andrés Laza Moreno

Couples:
Javier Rodriguez & Noelia Barsi
Sebastian Achaval & Roxana Suarez

I appreciate their technique & often (not always) admire it's application.

among my favorite women are:
Noelia Hurtado
Virginia Pandolfi
Lorena Ermocida
Mamié Sancy
Samantha Dispari

guys:
Carlitos Espinoza
Ney Melo
Andrés Laza Moreno

Couples:
Javier Rodriguez & Noelia Barsi
Sebastian Achaval & Roxana Suarez

I appreciate their technique & often (not always) admire it's application.
Why not Noelia Hurtado and Carlitos Espinoza as a couple? :)

Dance Ads