from salsa to tango

Be prepared that a somehow gifted follower can dance much earlier "proficient" on a milonga than an equal ambitioned leader. Belief me - I took four classes at the same time. :cool:
You as a couple should find an agreement how to deal with that - not more and not less.
We started tango as a wife&husband activity in order to have a new hobby that we both haven't done before (I do salsa, she does ballroom).
I feel like I ruin other girls intermediate classes (because I can't lead intermediate steps properly yet) , also I will learn bad habits since I haven't learn basics yet. so I don't wanna do Intermediate classes yet.
She stopped doing beginner classes since she thinks these classes are easy for her.

So at the end of the day we won't be able to do the same classes. Which was not the point! If we can't spend time together, I could continue my contemporary classes, she could continue ballroom
competitions.

This is how I dealt with it: I said I'll quit tango because its getting away from our initial purpose. Agreement is going back to basic classes :cool:

If we gently assume that she's right that the beginner class is boring, then is it quite simple:
You talk with the teacher not to switch the partner in the intermediate class until you got some private lessons to catch up.
And "bad habits" - if there should be some - get renamed to "individual style".

If one of the goals is for them to spend more time together, I don't see another solution. And there's more than likely some "beginner" stuff that his wife could benefit from. Fundamentals are always good to practice.
Yesterday we attended to the classes that we were supposed to attend. We learned something called giro (or jiro or hiro whatever). It was fun. And we both did it comfortably. Without sabotaging class of other people when we changed partners. It's a beginner stuff but I can't imagine building something on top of it without learning the giro itself.
And we didn't do the next class which was advanced.

dchester

Staff member
Yesterday we attended to the classes that we were supposed to attend. We learned something called giro (or jiro or hiro whatever). It was fun. And we both did it comfortably. Without sabotaging class of other people when we changed partners. It's a beginner stuff but I can't imagine building something on top of it without learning the giro itself.
And we didn't do the next class which was advanced.
The Giro (A.K.A. Molinette, or Turn) is one of the fundamental moves / sequences in tango, along with walking (to include rock steps), the cross (cruzada), and ochos. Some also say that the boleo is a fundamental move, (although more the pivoting aspect, rather than the decoration the follower typically would do with it).

When you can do (lead) all of these, to include going from any of them, to any of the others, you are no longer a beginner, and can dance at a milonga pretty much anywhere, (assuming you can lead them reasonably well).

Good news about tango -- there are very few things you need to know. The dance mainly consists of fundamentals. Once you are familiar with the basics, you can go to a milonga and dance.
Bad news -- it takes time to learn to do them well. For example, 10 years into it, I am still not happy with my giro. :)
In tango it is a lot not about what you do, it is about how you do it.

I WAS happy with elements of my dancing... until I saw them on video...

REBOOT!
There is also plenty of what I am happy about, I have come a long way. It is just that I know I can do more, and better. :)
That is, probably, another characteristic of Tango -- dancers are able to improve their dance constantly, significantly, and for many decades.

Dance Ads