Gee, you're good -> the art and science of compliments

This has been a new experience for me, receiving compliments for my dancing. Over the last couple of months, it has been unbelievable with exam marks and my presentation this last weekend. I have never received so many compliments and fanatastic feedback in my life!! I'm still not sure how to take it, I just answer with a simple "Thank you" and if they did a routine as well I back it up with something great about theirs as well. So far it has been very generalised, but we have an official "critique" of all the routines this weekend, and I know I can rely on the Dance Director of the studio to give me specifics.

I have always known that I can hold my own on the dancefloor, but the last few days have just blown me away! I'm still coming to terms with it. I guess the biggest thing is to not let it inflate my ego, but to use it to increase my confidence in what I can do. At the same time I am very critical of myself, so I guess showing that side too much isn't ideal either. I'm just doing what I love to do. If that shows through in the way I do it, so much the better. If my confidence increases, then I can help others with more ease as well.
 
T'was very nice, JS! :wink:

dancin_feet said:
I have always known that I can hold my own on the dancefloor, but the last few days have just blown me away! I'm still coming to terms with it. I guess the biggest thing is to not let it inflate my ego, but to use it to increase my confidence in what I can do. At the same time I am very critical of myself, so I guess showing that side too much isn't ideal either. I'm just doing what I love to do. If that shows through in the way I do it, so much the better. If my confidence increases, then I can help others with more ease as well.
It's definitely awesome that you've gotten such a great influx of compliments! This must mean that you're really doing great! :D

Though I must say: let your ego inflate at least a little bit! =^_~= Every ego needs to be stroked once in a while! (...Maybe mine is so big because I pet it every day... *evil laughter* :twisted: )

More confidence in doing what one loves is always probably one of the best things that can happen [in doing what one loves]! Congrats again, D_F!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS- How did your competition go?? I'm curious to know!)
 
jamaicanspice said:
dancin_feet said:
Sakura said:
(PS- How did your competition go?? I'm curious to know!)
Have a look at the "Well, I did it!" thread in General section, Sakura.

** Gently pets ego ** :twisted: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
*nods and grins* I must go see that!!! :D Ah, ha!! I see you are petting your Ego! See, isn't it great?! *pets hers and smiles as it purrs* Ahhh, instant gratification! :lol: 8)

Actually, this wasn't by dance, but I had a snake pay me a *lovely* compliment tonight! And before any of you go, " :shock: :shock: :shock: WHAT?!!" I'll explain: I was over at my friend Zack's house for an end of the year bonfire with a bunch of friends, and towards the end, near about 9:30, we went inside. Well, his little sister and brother have snakes, and they let me hold them!!

Point: I. LOVE. Snakes!!!! :D :D :D :D :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: They're so soft and smooth, and cuddly, and cute!!!!! :D

Well, anyway, I asked his sister to let me hold her snake, Charlotte, again, and after a little bit, she asked to take her back to her cage; so, begrudingly, I complied.... The funny thing is, is that after we finally got Charlotte all the way on to her hands, she turned around and zoomed right back onto mine!! *beaming* I felt sooooo happy! She also wouldn't leave my hands the first time I had her; cause my friends Alex (girl) and John wanted to hold her, but she wouldn't go onto their hands! :twisted: :D :D :D :banana: :banana: :banana: I'm sooo happy!!!!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS-I'm also rather happy 'cause my 'niichan (older brother) just bought me some Coca-Cola in the bottles! =^____^=

PPS-Have fun on your Salsa Night, JS! I wish I could be there too! :cry: :D )
 
Animal compliments are the best, aren't they? You know they are always genuine. Though snakes are one of those creatures I would be happy to never come across in my lifetime *shudder*.
 
dancin_feet said:
Animal compliments are the best, aren't they? You know they are always genuine. Though snakes are one of those creatures I would be happy to never come across in my lifetime *shudder*.
*nod nod* Definitely! :D 8)

:shock: :shock: :shock: Awwwww! Why not?!?! Reptiles, *ESPECIALLY* Snakes, are the best! :D :D

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
 
Sakura said:
dancin_feet said:
Animal compliments are the best, aren't they? You know they are always genuine. Though snakes are one of those creatures I would be happy to never come across in my lifetime *shudder*.
*nod nod* Definitely! :D 8)

:shock: :shock: :shock: Awwwww! Why not?!?! Reptiles, *ESPECIALLY* Snakes, are the best! :D :D

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
I much prefer cute and fluffy ...... :wink:
 
Sakura said:
:lol: , JS! Btw, awesome new avatar! :wink: I love it! :twisted: 8)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
8) *with an Audrey Hepburn drawl* thank you dahlin'...I picked it up on the way in the other day...thought it looked rather smashing on me 8) :wink: :D
 
*is suddenly reminded of the Carol Burnett Show's take on Gone With The Wind* Like the Curtains, eh? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
 
*laughs -- then continues with a light southern drawl* There are those days when I find myself wantin' to be back home in the South; my beloved Tennessee, I know She misses me! *draws out a fan and sighs while fanning* :roll: :roll: 8)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS- "I wish I was in the land of cotton; old times there are not forgotten: look away! Look away! Look away, Dixie Land!"

Funny that this was actually written by a New Yorker either just before or right at the start of the Civil War. When the South adopted the tune, this man reportedly said, "...I'll be damned if I wrote it..."

:D This Non-sensible, Tid-bit of the day was brought to you by my mass of Civil War knowledge! Back to Dance topics now...)
 
*image comes to mind of salsa being danced back in the days of the Civil War*

oh my 8) *continues with Audrey Hepburn voice* what a simply splendid idea my dear!! Can you imagine the absolute shock of it all!! :lol: :wink:
 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: That's a *GREAT* image! *slight southern drawl* I do believe that is a great idea, ma'am! But could you imagine tryin' to do Latin hip motion in those great, big dresses?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: I feel sorry for the leads who would be trampled to death by the skirts when doin' spins! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

However, I do declare that it might be fun to do at least once, when given a wide birth and a good Gentleman. *fans herself* :wink:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
 

Dance Ads