"Google Search Reveals Credit-Card Numbers"

Pacion

This does not sound good :|

Practically everyone knows that hackers will continue to wreak havoc. That handful of malicious misfits is a very savvy, determined group, against whom retailers and other companies must be on guard.

"Personal-identity information is on computer systems everywhere," says Byrnes.

That being the case, NewsFactor elected not to test hacker tools and security measures on individual Web sites, since both change tactics almost daily. Instead, the test was conducted using basic search engines to determine how accessible personal-identity and credit-card information was to a more ordinary criminal mind.

The first search engine tested was Google, merely because of its popularity. It is important to note that Google is not at fault in this study, as the search engine can only detect data, not judge how it is used.

We Got Your Number

The search request was simple. Using a researcher's Visa debit card, we started with the first four numbers on the card and extended the span of possible number combinations. So we entered in the google.com search window: visa 4060000000000000..4060999999999999.

The result was a long list of Visa card numbers complete with name, address, phone number, expiration dates and a list of recent purchases. In less than two seconds, we found everything a cyber crook would need for one heck of a shopping spree or a fresh new identity.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=75&e=11&u=/nf/20040916/tc_nf/26967

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
yeah that is not good. Just one month ago someone got my credit card number in Atlanta and used it to pay a very LARGE phone bill. Which is pretty stupid because I filed charges and the phone company simply turned over the account holders name to the police... :roll:

Anyway I usually have my credit card company cancel my card and reissue it with a different number at least once a year. At least if the number is floating around in cyberspace it probably will be an older non-working number.

Pacion

That is a good idea Larinda re cancelling and having a new number reissued. The only difficulty is if you have certain transactions being charged directly to your card - eg. AOL.

I haven't tried Googling my card as yet but the potentially frustrating thing is that certain airlines, car hire companies and other organisations either give you a discount for booking online or if you want to talk to someone you have to call a 'premium rate' number that will cost you something like $1 a minute - and these organisations say on their website that the call will last between 6-15 minutes :?

mamboqueen

It seems to me the credit card companies are going to have to work to solve this problem; we're not liable for fraudulent charges to our accounts made by others.

On a similar note, my next-door-neighbor who has been out of a job for a year, just took a job totally unrelated to what he normally does - he is now selling information. When I asked him about it, he basically can get ANY information on you (where you have lived for the past 20 years, your SS#, everything!!!) and sells it to (primarily) detectives, PI's, etc. But, I can't imagine there's a huge safeguard in place for it to get into the wrong hands.

Dance Ads