got kicked out of salsa class

I'm very sorry to hear that you got kicked out of your class. Sometimes, things like this are a blessing in disguise. You might not know what the benefit to this is until much later when you learn something new or discover something extraordinary. I hear that you are really hurt right now and I hope you feel better. But, in the meantime, take this as a motivational tool and see if you can try to be the best dancer you can be outside of learning in a class.

In the next couple of months, think of ways that you can improve your dancing without a class. Are there social events you can go to to dance Salsa. If so, get some Salsa instructional DVD's right away and see if you can pick up some moves that way and practice with the people you dance with at the social events. Use the money you saved up from the classes to take private lessons instead. Or, ask someone you know to practice some of the moves with you that you have learned from the privates or the DVD's. Use your own initiative and creativity. You sound like someone who loves dancing and that will take you far. I wish you the best!

macha

I'm very sorry to hear about something as hurtful and emotionally devastating as that. Nobody likes to be insulted like that, regardless of merit, or tact.

Assuming your teacher was correct in his assesment of your progress, perhaps you need to go back to the beginner class...

There's an old saying that beginners take intermediate classes, intermediate dancers take advanced classes, and champions work on the basic movement. I'd look at this as a heads up. I certainly wouldn't be dejected - perhaps you are not advancing due to poor instruction!!

Look around - salsa teachers and classes are more common than dirt and there's probably 20 of them in your area. You may find that a different teacher will give you the information to progress quicker, at a more convenient time. Remember that true fanatics make changes in their schedules, drive long distances, and spend $$s to make things happen.

Finally, make sure YOUR assesment of your ability is on point. many beginners think they are better than they are, and there is a long, slow ramp up to 'good'. Maybe you should think in terms of years and not weeks.

Remember, everyone sucked when they started...

Pay them for a private lesson and ask them to show you what you need to know to do the course.

Fact is, many people are in classes they shouldn't be in. I know that I tried to move up as quickly as possible, only to flounder and embarrass myself in the advanced classes where i wasted peoples time. So i stopped for a while until i got good enough and then went back.

The private lesson may get you back in the game much quicker.

So sorry to hear that Chook! I can see why you feel really hurt right now. Don't give up though - practice on your own whenever you have time, go out to parties, take a private, find a new class that will fit your schedule and be a good level for you... this is just a minor set back. You can still learn to dance and enjoy all the things you love about it!!

Rosa

macha said:
I'm very sorry to hear about something as hurtful and emotionally devastating as that. Nobody likes to be insulted like that, regardless of merit, or tact.
I agree. The guy sounds like a total jerk! :evil:

It sounds to me like there's something personal here, and this isn't about your dancing at all. Maybe you showed a lot of promise and he was jealous, maybe you danced with his favourite partner once too often, maybe something bad was going on elsewhere in his life and he decided to take it out on you.

Find somewhere else as soon as your schedule allows. Don't give up! There are plenty of good Salsa teachers around.

Good luck,

Rosa :)

Rosa

saludas said:
perhaps you are not advancing due to poor instruction!!
That's a good point. If it's really true that your progress was that poor, didn't this teacher have a duty to identify and address the problem earlier? Presumably, you were paying good money for your classes...

chook said:
MY salsa teacher politely told me that i was not at all good enough, and that my improvement has been very minimal. He told me to go back to his beginner classes, but I can't go to them because of sheduling conflicts.
If he truly told you politely that you weren't progressing enough for the next level then he/she was doing you a favor. If you are not proficient enough to keep up with the class you will only frustrate your self and the partners you dance with. The teacher then would have to either slow down the class to accomodate you and anger any other dancers who CAN keep up, or ignore you. I think the teacher did the correct thing.

Are you devestated more because the teacher asked you to repeat the beginner class or because it does not fit in to your schedule?

If it's the schedule thing take the advice of the others - get a private lesson that fits into your schedule or look for other group lessons that do fit into your schedule.

If it is because the teacher asked you to repeat the beginner class, you are just going to have to bite the bullet and get more practice in. None of us like to hear that we aren't progressing as fast as we would like, in anything we do. But we aren't all created equal in all things. If you do take another beginner class, I bet you would find that you will be able to hear the instruction differently, because you have already worked on the stufff before. You will be able to get more out of the class and should progress quickly in it a second time.

Whatever you do, don't take it personally (as hard as this is to do :x ). Just lick your wounds, find another class, and get out there dancing!

macha said:

I don't consider looking out for the needs of your students being insulting. When a college student is told to take a remedial course so they can keep up with higher level courses, I don't consider this an insult. It may hurt, but it is meant to allow the student to progress with success when they take the higher level courses.

If a dancer goes to a dance camp or a congress, many times they are asked to audition for a certain level of class. It is not an insult if a dancer does not get into a class. It is the teacher telling the student that their skills are not up to the level of the material they will be teaching.

Rosa said:
The guy sounds like a total jerk! :evil:

It sounds to me like there's something personal here, and this isn't about your dancing at all. Maybe you showed a lot of promise and he was jealous, maybe you danced with his favourite partner once too often, maybe something bad was going on elsewhere in his life and he decided to take it out on you.
I don't think we can interpolate any of this from the short info given by chook. Asking a student to retake a class for no good reason would soon result in the teacher getting a bad reputation and loosing students rather quickly.

Keep in mind that the flip side of this is the teacher could just ignore the student, take their money, irritate the faster learning dancers by slowing down for them, or just letting them hurt their partner by not knowing how to lead or follow correctly, and then set them loose on the Salsa community where everyone could then complain about how this dancer thinks they are so great but can't (pick one or more) keep time, lead properly, follow properly, hold their frame, etc., etc., etc.

chook, I am not talking about you specifically when talking about the above scenario, but if the teacher really is caring about how you progress, be thankful they don't throw you to the wolves too soon.

In any event, go looking for other opportunities to dance when your schedule permits. Even if you are in a small rural area like me, you will find them. You just may have to travel a bit for them. That's just the sign of a true fanatic. :lol:

Hey Chook, what are your other options right now? Have you looked at taking classes at another studio? Was it a general "you are not good enough", or did the instructor give you areas that you can work on in your salsa? How does the prospect of hanging around clubs sound to you?

bjp22tango said:
Rosa said:
The guy sounds like a total jerk! :evil:

I don't think we can interpolate any of this from the short info given by chook.
True. Chook, can you get back to us and tell us more about the circumstances here?

bjp22tango said:
chook said:
MY salsa teacher politely told me that i was not at all good enough, and that my improvement has been very minimal. He told me to go back to his beginner classes, but I can't go to them because of sheduling conflicts.
If he truly told you politely that you weren't progressing enough for the next level then he/she was doing you a favor. If you are not proficient enough to keep up with the class you will only frustrate your self and the partners you dance with. The teacher then would have to either slow down the class to accomodate you and anger any other dancers who CAN keep up, or ignore you. I think the teacher did the correct thing.
I’ll second that.

It’s a pain to be the one that is hanging in the breaks during classes, and it is annoying for the others in class, if the level is lowered just to keep a person or to in a class where they don’t belong. Personal feedback takes some guts from the teacher’s side. Telling someone to take a lower class does too. The art is how to tell this.

You can always improve the basic, the timing and the simple moves is often some of the most useful and appreciated. You can always pick up some little details form the lower classes, and always work with improving and noticing the little details you forgot or didn’t see the first time. So the real problem might be the schedule is not fitting your free time.

Spending some money on a private lesson or 2 might be worth gold right now. Get some personal feedback and instruction in the stuff you do right now, rather then fill up with new stuff. Then you can also get some feedback on how your level really is, and what to work with to advance and improve.

And remember to go to the clubs to get some practice and have fun.

Keep dancing :friend:

Purr

SalsaAmore said:
I'm very sorry to hear that you got kicked out of your class. Sometimes, things like this are a blessing in disguise. You might not know what the benefit to this is until much later when you learn something new or discover something extraordinary.
You are absolutely right. While I haven't been kicked out of a salsa class, I was kicked out of a ballroom studio 3 years ago. I was told by the studio management that the staff didn't like me and didn't think they could teach me anything. While I was very hurt at the time, it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to my dancing. That studio was just a stone on the path, and if I hadn't been kicked out, I wouldn't have found my way to a much better teacher that I can actually dance, and have competed, with.

Best of luck, chook. I hope you find your path. :D

chook said:
i feel so hurt right now. I got kicked out of my salsa dance. MY salsa teacher politely told me that i was not at all good enough, and that my improvement has been very minimal. He told me to go back to his beginner classes, but I can't go to them because of sheduling conflicts. So now, I have no salsa class to go to. I feel so devastated. So hurt. I love salsa. I love salsa so much, and now I have no salsa to go to. I Love holding girls in my arms. I love everything that salsa is. And now it has all been taken fro me. I feel very very hurt right now. Because I won't be able to do any salsa, atleast until my schedule changes, and that won't be until next January. This really really has been very hurtful. I feel devastated.
Did you skip the beginner's class and went straight to the intermediate? Do you think you're making progress in that class at the same rate as others?

Ray

kdogg has a point.. in our classroom we have the rule.. if you dont study at home your homework very well.. or your not capeble to prgress very fast.. you need to stay in your same class and keep in same class till you grow in yoru salsa

at the begin our danschool dindt do that.. so there were ppl who dance liek 5 yaers are in immi/advance class but couldn't still follow the combination.. or even worse the measure..!!

Josh

cocodrilo said:
Private lesson, videos. Why give it up?
I believe in another thread chook said that he thought $10/hr was excessive for a group class, so something tells me he will not be able to afford or not be willing to pay for privates. Videos might be good for him, however, since he can watch them again and again.

Josh said:
I believe in another thread chook said that he thought $10/hr was excessive for a group class, so something tells me he will not be able to afford or not be willing to pay for privates. Videos might be good for him, however, since he can watch them again and again.
EGADS! $10 is the going rate in these parts for *any* group class. And some are $15.....

Dance Ads