Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Joe

Also note it is true I'm not a teacher. But I've been dancing a long time, and I'm pretty sure I can show a new lead a few steps without inflicting any significant damage on their learning path.
The first step (no pun intended) is just getting someone on the dance floor.

So, just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they can't dance. And just because they don't have a complete arm and hand doesn't mean they can't lead.
Some years ago I used to see a young couple competing in syllabus standard at local amateur comps. At first I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I finally spotted that the man had no left hand; his forearm ended in a "stump" just above where a wrist would have been. When they took hold, he just held his forearm up, and the lady rested her hand on his stump, and for the level they were dancing, it looked fine.

Purr

I know of a young woman in the west coast swing community that has what I suspect is some kind of birth defect with one of her arms. It doesn't slow her down any - she dances just fine (definitely much better than I do with this particular dance). She doesn't seem to lack for partners either when I've seen her out.

Then there was the woman who walked out right in the middle of her gender reassignment operation. Apparently she just got upset about something and went off half-cocked . . . .

IndyLady

This is a day or too late, but why not...

I recall reading on this forum a while back a suggestion to put stinky dance shoes in the freezer to get rid of the smell (under the theory that the cold would kill the bacteria causing it).

My dance shoes have been sitting my car over the past week, during which time we have had sub-freezing temperatures (dipping down to zero degrees Fahrenheit at the lowest point). I find myself wondering if that removed any smell issues that any of them may have had....

Dance Ads