Hi, I want to learn to dance!

Shainaa

I am 18. I like to watch dance videos. Recently I tried to learn but I cant do a single move. I looks like a fat ugly creep. Is it even possible to move the body like that.
Help me

cornutt

Absolutely it's possible, but you need some training. We're ballroom dancers here, and there are all sorts of body types in ballroom -- if you look at my profile photo, you can see that I'm not a "prototypical" dancer body type. Start calling studios around your area and asking about lessons or group classes.

FancyFeet

Two points on that:

1) YouTube is not how you learn to dance. Even experienced dancers take class and lessons. Get yourself some instruction. If you're uncomfortable or very self-conscious, private lessons may be a good way to start.

2) It never goes well at the beginning, and certainly not the first time you try to copy something you saw online. And if it were easy, everyone would know how to do it, and there would be no need to learn. Keep trying and practicing.

tangotime

No I just want to learn to dance a little. Not to become an expert or even intermediate level. Just want to learn some basic moves of salsa, tango

The easiest pathway for you would be classes , and sometimes clubs give free salsa classes in the evening .If non exist, then check classes in studios for price and times.

You tube vids are NOT there as a teaching tool, purely for enjoyment and info. , and even those that "teach ", in many cases, are very poor ex.

I did take note of where you live ( very beautiful area !! ) and I know your choices may be very limited .

snapdancer

No I just want to learn to dance a little. Not to become an expert or even intermediate level. Just want to learn some basic moves of salsa, tango and belly dancing and maybe more if I can achieve those. I tried belly dancing (I know belly dancing is for women) watched videos from youtube (howcast) tried but it seems I cant do it. Then tried some salsa but same, my body refuse to move like that.
Ofcourse I am not too serious about it. I dont have that much time and that much interest either.
You start off with "no", but everything after that supports what I said.

I wanted to learn a new thing and wanted to be a little girly, you know. I want to be able to do something girly when I marry in future with my wife.
Dancing is "girly"? How is leading a woman girly? You've got the wrong idea.

Maybe I should try learn to cook. I have more interest in cooking. No I just likes to eat.
There are many youtube videos that teaches to cook too. I am sure you guys thinks its impossible from youtube. But why is there so many videos teaching dancing, cooking, etc... if it is useless.
Cooking is a more intellectual activity. It does not rely on training your body to move in a certain way. Cooks have been working from recipes for centuries. But even then, a great cook will be able to adjust the recipe or supply missing details in a poorly written recipe.

Martial arts and sports require that your body reflexes be trained. Why do people pay coaches to teach them how to swing a golf club? What could be easier than that? Reflexes and body actions have to be trained through practice. And an intellectual understanding of the proper body actions is necessary.

Dancing is the same. And more complex if you're dancing with a partner who won't respond consistently like a golf club.

Dancing is often an illusion -- what you think is going on from watching is not what really is happening. Very few people can really break down a Youtube video of a dance move into its essential elements and technique, and those people have studied dancing so they know what to look for.

Bailamosdance

No I just want to learn to dance a little. Not to become an expert or even intermediate level. Just want to learn some basic moves of salsa, tango and belly dancing and maybe more if I can achieve those. I tried belly dancing (I know belly dancing is for women) watched videos from youtube (howcast) tried but it seems I cant do it. Then tried some salsa but same, my body refuse to move like that.
Ofcourse I am not too serious about it. I dont have that much time and that much interest either. I wanted to learn a new thing and wanted to be a little girly, you know. I want to be able to do something girly when I marry in future with my wife.
Maybe I should try learn to cook. I have more interest in cooking. No I just likes to eat.
There are many youtube videos that teaches to cook too. I am sure you guys thinks its impossible from youtube. But why is there so many videos teaching dancing, cooking, etc... if it is useless.
Do not worry. For the amount of effort and time you are willing to put into dance, I assure you that your fear of becoming an expert is unfounded.

stash

And those YouTube videos that break down things really well are for people who have some background in the dance being taught. and who understand how to move their bodies like that and are building upon what they already know.

You have to take classes to begin to understand how to move your body in the right way with someone who can correct your movement. Even if you just want a little bit of instruction.

Yes, you can learn dance. There are different ways to acquire dance lessons. Keep watching dance videos and practising dance accordingly. Improve every step and move and try to concentrate while watching videos. The best way to learn dance is practise.

Keep updating your progress. Wishing you the very best!

Group classes are a greet way to learn basic figures. Look at Ballroom studios in your area and visit them to see which one fits you best. All dancers start somewhere so don't get discouraged if things are not happening the way you want them to.

Dance Ads