Holiday blues...

Holiday blues hit me harder than usual this year and I am also gaining much unnecessary weight. Can't wait for the normality to return in a few days. How do you deal with this season, dancers? I mean yes, I know it's important to stay busy, keep excercising , control alcohol, watch calories, but somehow it's not working for me...

I don't get the holiday blues per se, but I finally had an epiphany this year (ironic term to use, I know) that I really truly don't enjoy the Christmas season or 99% of what is associated with it. I loved it when I was a kid and getting tons of gifts from Santa, parents, grandparents, etc., but now that I'm a non-religious adult and can afford my own toys throughout the year, and the family is scattered and kind of a mess, it doesn't carry the thrill anymore. I've never gone overboard as an adult - I stopped the shopping rate race of buying gifts years ago - I just give out money now. Other than hanging a wreath on the door and exchanging greeting cards, I don't do anything else (my husband puts up a small tree). It's funny, the light bulb went off while I was watching an episode of "Four Weddings" where one of the brides had a Christmas themed wedding (complete with Santa Claus), and I realized that I don't even care for the traditional decor/paraphernalia that is associated with the holiday (red/green, pine trees, snow, lights, shortbread cookies, etc etc). Add to that the socio-political angst (the "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays" feud, "Santa" bringing iPads to some kids and less expensive gifts to others...), I'm just done.

So I don't have any good advice to offer to cope, other than keep your head down and get through the next few days. I know it's hard because it's so "in your face" these days.

I manage the holiday season by enjoying time with friends/family- and food and wine- rather than gifts. I have not completely cut out gifting, but I agree that it adds unnecessary stress and expense. I would rather shop for myself than have someone spend $$ on something they think they may like and vice versa. I give gift cards- but I am really thinking of cutting down on it in the next year or so. I am also someone who grew up celebrating Christmas, but currently I identify myself as an atheist, and so the religious aspect is no longer important to me.

.... so the religious aspect is no longer important to me.
Interesting, this. I thought I felt that way too, then I found myself wanting to hang out my angels, and the lights to make them glow. I felt at peace, grateful and happy, as we got the news that my sister, who was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer this time last year, is in remission and that the tumour is no longer visible. I am also grateful for my own gradual return to health now that chemo and ops are done with. So I don't know what I identify as - but do believe in spiritual power.
As for the spending, I listen hard during the year and get those close to me a small gift of usefulness - the classic this year was a slide out magnifier for map reading for DH. Cost $4, and a skipping (jump?) rope and stretch bands for myself for not much more. Haven't really gelled with the rope - it twists so I am going to get a better one.
If I start to feel blue I look around and try something new. As well as the skipping, I am learning a few jive steps off the internet. Sure it looks awful in the mirror, but no-one will see:eek: I hopeo_O

Site Moderator
Staff member
for me, any holiday, if am gong to feel renewed rather than drained, whether religious or not, has to start out with my own consciousness ahead of time about what parts of it I do and do not value, what I hope to give and gain out of the choices I make, etc...I have much less post holiday let down as a consequence of that....I also don't use the holidays as an opportunity to make less healthy choices than it reduces the transition back to ordinary time for me...I try to use the holidays to connect to those whose company I enjoy, not with those to whom I feel some sense of obligation...

When I was a kid and then when my kids were growing up, Christmas was THE HOLIDAY of the year. The I evolved (devolved) into more dreading it than looking forward to it.

I'm comfortable now, because, like F., I do / give what I want, with whom I want and readily take a pass on the people / activities that drain or stress me.

I do like looking at lights (as long as other people are the ones hanging on ladders stringing them), but by New Year's Day it's time to cut the power IMO.

(I gave up on New Year's Eve long ago - lousy weather, price gouging, drunken crowds and police checkpoints - no thanks. I'm happy with dinner and one drink or a good book and some solitary time.)
We moved across the country, so we don't live near our family. While there are some family members that are dear to us, there are others that are toxic. We have found that just making sure we plan some fun activities for ourselves is enough. Fortunately, we don't have too many other obligations beyond spending time with each other, so we have done good in recent years keeping the holiday blues at bay!

I used to stress out about all the 'required' holiday decorating. This year I decided to just chill out and only decorate a tree, not the entire house and yard. So much better...

Decorating for Christmas was easy, as I had carefully organized and packed everything up the year before. Christmas was low key, just me and my mom. We planned a good, easy to fix dinner. The only bad spot was we bought a lot of scratch off lottery tickets, and lost half of what we invested in the tickets. The day after Christmas I packed everything up again, to make decorating easy when its time again. We both liked our gifts; there were a lot of ha-ha ones. I had only one return; my mom didn't like a cardigan I bought her.

I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve, but I did go out. The evening went well, and I danced a lot. I wore I dress I received for Christmas. Surprisingly, I was smiling in about all of the pictures taken, and I looked thinner.

I enjoyed the holidays, but I'm not sorry they're gone. They don't have to hurry back, either. Mostly I'm sick of the cold weather and the snow.

DW and I learned some time ago that, in order for us to enjoy the holidays, we have to set limits as far as traveling to visit relatives. We've had times in the past where we've traveled to the same place twice because one relative was going to be there one week and another relative was going to be there another week, and they both expected us to accommodate their schedules. No more. Now, we make a reasonable attempt to visit each location once, but if you aren't going to be there at the time, well, see ya later.

But DW loves decorating. I would not dream of denying her that. I just make sure I'm stocked up on batteries. :D

Dance Ads