Hooks... when?

#1
Hi,

I'd like to know when it is possible to invite the girl to make a "hook". I know that one possibility is in the backward eight, when she is returning, and you just have to put your leg straight between her legs. However, I suppose there are many other ways or positions where to invite a hook.

Any idea is welcome.

Thanks in advance
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#3
But hooks are so hot! The only problem I have is positioning my leg inside the lead's leg so that when I hook, things work out fine. Make sense? How do tyou know where to plant your feet? Practice?
 
#4
Because I don't really like ganchos for women or men, I don't lead them or do them. Most teachers agree that it should be the very last thing a student ever learns when learning Tango. They are very easy to do with the right leader. They are lead by the man, never just done gratuitously by the woman. Sometimes they really get in the way. They are just sort of stagey.
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#5
Hmm. Yes. I guess that just goes to show how the genuine flavor of a dance can get lost in the translation from culture to culture. That's one of the first moves I learned in my (admittedly ballroom) exposure to Argentine tango. Hmm. Food for thought. :? :)
 

Sagitta

Well-Known Member
#6
They teach argentine tango in some ballroom classes? :?

Reminds me of yesterday night when there were some people from the Cornell ballroom club who came down and were dancing salsa at the Latin night at Commonground. :)
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#7
More franchise experiences. At my former studio, they'd teach you any dance you wanted. But of course, they were social ballroom dancers and teachers. So some of the authentic flavor got lost in the translation of some dances. Hence my observation about Argentine tango.
 
#8
I must admit that when I think of scenes from movies featuring Argentine Tango, one of the first images in my brain is the hook.

...and that is one of the interesting things about dancing: what the observer sees as the essence of a dance can be so much different than what the dancer is thinking.
 
#9
I was talking the other day to an Argentine lady who got her leg cut just a bit from another couple of ganchoers. She was dancing and all of a sudden, the heel of another girl cut through her stocking and scratched her a bit. So, they can be a little dangerous, too. They have to be used with the utmost discretion. And of course, things change when you are dancing with some girl you don't know. Sometimes people see the gancho as a little risque.
 
#11
Blatantly sexy, oh, yeah!!! I LOVE hooks.

They're par for the course in AT, but you can drop them into salsa and ballroom tango too...a word of caution though for the girls...shave your legs first!!! :) ha ha... there's nothing quite so comical as the look of a guy who you're ATangoing with when you've got three-day growth and you rub your leg up and down his leg...erm...someone told me that, of course. :oops:
 

bordertangoman

Well-Known Member
#12
pygmalion said:
But hooks are so hot! The only problem I have is positioning my leg inside the lead's leg so that when I hook, things work out fine. Make sense? How do tyou know where to plant your feet? Practice?
Performing a gancho successfully relies on fairly advanced skill and co-ordination between the couple; what I was taught as a lead was:
1. Couples must be close together or the man will overbalance. For this to work requires practice and good leading and following. I was told to abort the gancho if my parnter was too far away and I have short legs so if her hip isn't close to mine the gancho goes and it just becomes a back step in the Hero (molinete)

2. There must be no weight on the man's intruding leg and it must contact the woman's foot/ankle of her standing leg so she knows its there and knows a gancho is being invited. Easier to demonstrate than explain: leg goes into gap between woman's legs past her furthest foot then moves sideways so there is ankle to ankle contact. This is a very clear signal and avoids the woman doing a gancho at any other time. Though I have seen dancers who do it differently.

3.The man's leg should face away from the hooking leg - this avoids strain on the knee - which only bends in one direction!!

4. The woman's hooking leg should bend only at the knee. I've been kicked by women who pull their leg up at the same time. Please don't do this! The leg should also be RELAXED: this is probably the most important point; just like you let your legs go when sitting on a swing. The hooking movement shouldn't begin until you make contact with the man's leg.

5. Refinement: this is of the moves where (if the music suggests it) the woman can slow down and do the gancho at the pace she wants. My favourite dancers will drag their foot slowly on the floor then release the stored energy into a flick.
 

bordertangoman

Well-Known Member
#13
serg_juv said:
Hi,

I'd like to know when it is possible to invite the girl to make a "hook". I know that one possibility is in the backward eight, when she is returning, and you just have to put your leg straight between her legs. However, I suppose there are many other ways or positions where to invite a hook.
In the hero/molinete in the back step. For consecutive ganchos you have to lead the woman to pivot on her standing leg then take another step back on your other side. Like all things take a lot of practice.
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
#15
bordertangoman said:
Performing a gancho successfully relies on fairly advanced skill and co-ordination between the couple; what I was taught as a lead was:
1. Couples must be close together or the man will overbalance. For this to work requires practice and good leading and following. I was told to abort the gancho if my parnter was too far away and I have short legs so if her hip isn't close to mine the gancho goes and it just becomes a back step in the Hero (molinete)

2. There must be no weight on the man's intruding leg and it must contact the woman's foot/ankle of her standing leg so she knows its there and knows a gancho is being invited. Easier to demonstrate than explain: leg goes into gap between woman's legs past her furthest foot then moves sideways so there is ankle to ankle contact. This is a very clear signal and avoids the woman doing a gancho at any other time. Though I have seen dancers who do it differently.

3.The man's leg should face away from the hooking leg - this avoids strain on the knee - which only bends in one direction!!

4. The woman's hooking leg should bend only at the knee. I've been kicked by women who pull their leg up at the same time. Please don't do this! The leg should also be RELAXED: this is probably the most important point; just like you let your legs go when sitting on a swing. The hooking movement shouldn't begin until you make contact with the man's leg.

5. Refinement: this is of the moves where (if the music suggests it) the woman can slow down and do the gancho at the pace she wants. My favourite dancers will drag their foot slowly on the floor then release the stored energy into a flick.
This is fantastic advice, bordertangoman. I need to get out there, and dance with some tangueros that can lead. I've yet to find anyone who knew how to "invite" a gancho. Hmm. Most of them force the issue, and I figure it out, then respond. That's interesting. I was thinking it was my fault. I didn't realize there was a specific way to lead/invite a gancho.


Thanks. :wink:
 

bordertangoman

Well-Known Member
#16
Well I hope I have done justice to my teachers and haven't missed anything crucial out.

Best to find a good teacher who can you show you this stuff and practice it lots before you try it out on the dance floor.

I do get followers who confuse the lead for the sentada and gancho which means I occasionally get kicked becuase they think I've invited a gancho when I haven't, presumably because they haven;t been taught the same lead.
 

Dance Ads