how are your lessons going? thread II

MaggieMoves

My pro just kicked them into high gear. I did really well at my last competition and he doesn't want me slacking off. I got the leg weights today while we did rounds right at the start of the lesson. I think it was a bit of payback for slapping him during our jive. :rofl:

Standard lessons are going well. Most of it centered around my footwork because I haven't done it in awhile. The routines are basic, but I seem to get a lot of random compliments from people about it.

FancyFeet

Still feeling a little blah. Pro's picking up on that, so there is also still more talking than normal... he get props for just letting me work through my funk, and for discussing future plans without trying to fake-motivate me.

I'm (still) liking the new tango. After working it for a while last night in a lesson, there was some neck cramping happening as I adjusted to the combination of the new stance and the new choreo, but nothing of supreme concern.

Pro was a little disappointed that I hadn't completely memorized the new QS yet... but my entire explanation was pretty much 'Yeah, I learned the new tango, and did the video research you wanted on W and FT (analysis of my comp performance, and YouTube links to suggested changes), but I don't have QS down yet. Wrote it down, but didn't get to running it yet. Sorry."

For the record: Over the weekend, I learned one entirely new routine - memorized and can now dance it straight through, at speed, with acceptable performance and technical execution - and did several hours of video analysis and research - plus my regular weekend gym/ballet/flexibility work... I feel no guilt about not having learned a second new routine to the standard of the first. Sheesh.

RiseNFall

I was in Pro's office yesterday and said, "oh, new chairs?" He said no. I, confused, asked, "but weren't they black, not brown?" Him, "no, they've always been brown, but you're usually only in here when you are upset." :rofl:

Lessons have been swinging back and forth between exciting and incredibly frustrating. Frustrated with myself. There are a whole bunch of things that cross between really good and simply unacceptable (from my point of view). The "fixes" vary, but are beginning to coalesce around a few themes, which is a relief.

I think I commented somewhere on DF that I used to ride dressage and I could run through the dressage tests in detail in my head, "see" the faults that would result from my imaginary riding, and fix them. I am so far from being able to do that in dance. In a lot of cases, I see the faults, but not how to fix them. :confused: I'm trying to work on that and address particular roadblocks in my lessons. I'm actually closest in VW because it has been such a hot mess historically that I've worked on it in a way that facilities this kind of visualization. On VW in general: I had a 3rd coaching with the same person concentrating on VW (they've been spread out over a year and a half or so). First coaching was primarily on reverse turns with a bit on natural turns; second coaching concentrated on reverse turns with some on change steps; this time we got to actually working through figures. :)

scullystwin42

last week of lessons before comp this weekend! good rhythm last night, added another for more rounds tonight. Smooth tomorrow. new routines are in good shape, and confident about them! however, very distracted by the politics situation and how it may impact my family, so i am finding it hard to focus... sigh.

IndyLady

Argh... at my last lesson, the instructor informed me he was going to be out for several weeks after this Sunday's event.
So last night during the party, one of the other instructors pulled me into the office to tell me what I already knew/suspected... he is not coming back. I get that people move on - I've had 8 or 9 different instructors (I've lost count, lol) - I'm more frustrated by the fact that he told different stories to each of his students (when are they going to learn, we talk...) about how long/why he would be gone and did not just do a proper goodbye. Particularly what he had told me, which turned out to be misleading at best. I would have preferred to close this out properly instead of this "ghosting".

Was also not super happy about the some of the most recent lesson with the instructor who is now my only instructor... I came in expecting to work on some Showcase stuff (agreed upon at the end of the last lesson) and he completely flipped to something else, probably because the owner was there, and she was going around to people with judge critiques from the studio event we had a couple weeks ago. My point is, I don't like it when the plan changes and I'm just thrown into the new plan with no acknowledgment of this "surprise". The content of the lesson was fine, but next lesson I am definitely going to address that if we're going to deviate from the plan - which we need to mutually understand what the plan is - that needs to be explicitly agreed upon.

Oof, that was not as short and sweet as I was intending.

scullystwin42

So last night during the party, one of the other instructors pulled me into the office to tell me what I already knew/suspected... he is not coming back. I get that people move on - I've had 8 or 9 different instructors (I've lost count, lol) - I'm more frustrated by the fact that he told different stories to each of his students (when are they going to learn, we talk...)
Ugh, that is so frustrating! I don't understand why they don't just come clean on things like that. Why do they assume the students don't talk to each other?! it's so weird. I feel for you girl, i have been there. And i have had the unpleasant discussions with owners/instructors about last minute changes and not informing me of things. I hope it works out for you!

cornutt

More choreo... instructor is going to compel me to learn something with a ton of hand changes, which I am not a fan of. Yes, it's time for me to bite that bullet, but... there are parts of this routine that have blind hand changes, which I have not had good experiences with in the past. :eek:

MaggieMoves

Hot & cold lately is the best way to describe it. Tuesday felt divine. Tonight on the other hand? I probably should have rescheduled. After a long flight and doing about 3-4 miles worth of working on a client site today - I was beat, and he wasn't taking it easy on me.

post-comp lessons this week. Didn't get video in smooth, but good feedback from pro - more shaping, still need to work on being more released and less tense in my upper body. Lots of shaping work that was intense. For rhythm, i was rather stunned by my pros reaction - it was more positive than i've ever had before! we are working on maintaining the gains i've made - being more released in my body and grounded into the floor, and good "focus" - where my gaze/body is supposed to be, and then adding better clarity to my arm styling.

RiseNFall

First lessons post competition and Pro watched video. Overall, he was pleased, but, of course, wanted some improvements in some places. We also discussed how I react to certain types of mistakes during competitions. I told him the unhelpful narrative that sometimes starts up. Him: "You don't have time to think all of that!" Me: "All the same, that is what I am thinking." The look on his face was priceless. I know from talking to others that I'm not the only one who does this at times, but I gather other students haven't fessed up. Or, it's so inconceivable to him that his brain declined to process and remember it. :rolleyes:

Cool thing is that what he wanted to work on can replace those negative thoughts when things start going poorly. He discussed where I should be thinking about placing/using/engaging my xiphoid process vs manubrium (those are different parts of the sternum), minor and major pectoral muscles, and gluteus minimus muscles. It wasn't his goal, but by the time you've checked on all of those, there really isn't space in your head for the negative monologue I sometimes engage in. ;) All in all, not easy, but as well as not leaving me time for negative, self-defeating thoughts, I think he's also going to fix some back issues I've had for eons. :)

Purr

Lesson Friday with first Pro...did a variety of dances, including AT...first pro did a lot of advanced stuff we hadn't covered much...seemed to go ok...first pro had nothing bad to say about it, which is as good as it's going to get...my observation is that AT teaches patience, along with following, if nothing else...lesson Sunday with second AT Pro...worked on AT showcase routine...it's coming along...suggested changing song to something I like better...AT Pro wants to demo the routine sometime in May...some discussion on coaching for the routine...

Purr

The tango freaks are going to start throwing seizures when they see the word "routine". LOL!
Perhaps "demonstration" might be a better word choice. I am just learning AT, and while pros think I am doing well with it, I need some structure to this little event. It's a non-starter without some sort of game plan.

Song is a techno arrangement of Libertango, which is my favorite tango. Probably that would cause a hissy fit for AT enthusiasts too. Some of what's presented as AT music sounds to me like caterwauling cats or nails on chalkboard. No thanks. Libertango works for me.

Dance Ads