how are your lessons going? thread II

Perhaps "demonstration" might be a better word choice. I am just learning AT, and while pros think I am doing well with it, I need some structure to this little event. It's a non-starter without some sort of game plan.

Song is a techno arrangement of Libertango, which is my favorite tango. Probably that would cause a hissy fit for AT enthusiasts too. Some of what's presented as AT music sounds to me like caterwauling cats or nails on chalkboard. No thanks. Libertango works for me.
Speaking of Libertango, I love the Bond version!

Lesson tonight was lots of talk about hip technique and what's sufficient vs overboard, and then a discovery that my legs actually slightly hyperextend and that's causing my leg actions to look off when I don't do it.

Then jumped deep into arms theory - much homework left there.

FancyFeet

Things I said/conversations that were had at my lesson last night:

Me: "I'm feeling you really pull your left arm back after we get set. Why are you doing that? Are you trying to tell me something?"
Pro: "No, I'm just trying to make my elbow angle sharper."
Me: "Okay, well, could you do ťhat before we get set? Because it's pulling me twisted."

Pro keeps asking for more and more connection (things feel fine to me). I keep increasing it... finally declaring in exasperation: "This feels horrible. I keep giving you more, but it's making me feel like I don't have any room to move because I'm glued to your side."
Pro: "I think you're right. Go back to what you were doing before."
I do... we dance.
Pro: "Yeah, that's better. Ignore me."

We're tinkering with some styling in tango. I'm in a really big exaggerated shape to the left, and pro tries to change it to a different really big shape to the right quickly... and literally pulls me off my feet. I explain what I'm feeling, and propose 2 different fixes. Pro proceeds to do exactly the same thing, with more force... this time, both pulling me off my feet and tweaking my back. Then goes: "yeah, okay, you're right. That doesn't work."
Me, rubbing my back: "You think?"

It's a rare day where pro is that off... wonder if he thinks a similar 'WTF?' when I have a paricularly bad day...

Last edited:
closed rhythm for the first time in 10 months? a year? it was a lot of amusement as we both tried to remember the patterns. looking forward to smooth tonight, but my body isn't. i just took a week and a half off working out! and yet, THE SORENESS.

Purr

AT lesson yesterday...went fine...some discussion about future coaching...pro suggested coaching with a known in the community AT Coach...I reply I heard that Coach doesn't do coaching with newbie AT students (like me)...I am also concerned that I have a lot of not so latent Am. tango tendencies...helps that I follow and pick up patterns quickly...but dancing probably isn't true AT either...leave pro to figure coaching situation out...

Wish there were more people at parties that danced AT, but there aren't...only can dance it with AT pro and other pro...sad...am thinking partial reason that AT pro wants to do this "demonstration" is to generate some interest... :(

RiseNFall

I was told that my dancing felt like "milk and honey" in my lesson tonight. That was only in reference to, oh, maybe one measure, but I'll still take it. :) It did feel wonderful. I had a few literally jaw-dropping moments interspersed throughout the lesson because it felt so...natural. Pro:"It's a lot easier when you do it correctly, isn't it?" :rolleyes:

Purr

Got text from AT pro yesterday...seems to have gotten AT coach to agree to work with us...told AT pro to text me the particulars...am worried about what AT coach is going to think of my ballroom tendencies...

raindance

Got text from AT pro yesterday...seems to have gotten AT coach to agree to work with us...told AT pro to text me the particulars...am worried about what AT coach is going to think of my ballroom tendencies...
As with any lesson or coaching, take the information you can use, and make the best of it. I hope you have a good experience. I am sure your ballroom teacher will have plenty of ballroom tendencies as well!! But since this is for a showcase, in the end the routine is whatever you and your teacher want it to be. So if the AT teacher doesn't like what you're doing, or if you can't learn what the AT teacher would like you to learn in time for the showcase - so what? As long as you and your pro end up with a routine you both like, you're fine. And I'm sure you'll learn something interesting from the AT pro. Let us know how it goes!

RiseNFall

I took a small group class with an AT Pro, and while he started out (clearly) worried about what you refer to as "ballroom tendencies", he ended up pleased with my following. I think those of us who at least understand that there is a big difference between AT and ballroom tango are already ahead of the game in the eyes of AT Pro's who have had to deal with many ballroom dancers who did not understand that. ;)

FancyFeet

This week saw the return of FT... which we have not touched in 6 weeks. I have also not practiced it in that time, as we were trying to decide what to do with the routine - and I had plenty of other new choreo to memorize.

I have a new beginning - a wall and a bit - but then we are connecting it to the entire old routine, as we've decided we quite like it. Played with some options then learned the new choreo Tues, worked it a bit yesterday... it's going to be really, really, good.

Also, how did my FT improve that much in 6 weeks of paying it absolutely no attention? Pro is now threatening to ignore each of my dances for an extended period in hopes of attaining the same result

Purr

Lesson with pro Friday...went ok...did a cha cha during the evening party with pro...kind of fun to break apart during the dance and free style a bit...and was on time when re connected...

Lesson with AT pro Sunday...fair...AT pro wants me to do a counter clockwise one footed turn...isn't working...tried treating it as a spiral like movement...didn't work well either...it's an awkward movement no matter what...on a good note, I did the inside and outside UA turns fine...mentioned to AT pro that we need an entrance and exit for the demonstration...coaching scheduled for next Sunday...think I mentioned awhile back I'm not doing this demonstration without a plan...

Not a lesson but had one of those sublime moments on the dance floor with lead...dance was rumba...but rumba morphing into something else...joy...how dancing should be...lead said afterwards I don't know who taught you how to dance but you follow extremely well...

FancyFeet

Pro was extremely nitpicky... tinkering like he was searching for something until I finally, in exasperation, demanded what he was feeling and exactly what he was searching for. I find it really irritating when he expresses dissatisfaction repeatedly, but doesn't really tell me what is wrong or what would be right... it just sends me to the "f#$% it" place, which is really not conducive to learning or improvement. Didn't end up there last night, so I'm proud of that.

At one point prior to my minor outburst, I must have shot him a look, because I got "Well, you wanted to dance open!"... to which I sarcastically replied "Yeah, and I'm regretting that right now."

To be clear, we were working on choreo that I have had less than a month or so - and in some cases, for exactly one week... and the new bits are quite difficult. Part of my irritation was coming from that fact that I am still figuring out some pieces - and in some cases, still thinking through them... counting, directions, what step is next, etc. - so I felt like expecting them to be perfect by last night wasn't really realistic.

I also clearly stated, after about the millionth impersonation of me making a technical error that I've been working for months to correct, that I wasn't finding the pantomiming all that helpful and it was frankly making me "feel like crap". Pro seemed a bit taken aback, and explained he felt he was simply showing me what I was doing... I took his point, but my counter was that when it is done multiple times in a lesson - I think we were at 7 or 8 by that point last night - it's no longer helpful, and starts to feel like I'm being mocked... and he knows it's something I'm actively working on, so all he needs to do is say a previously agreed-upon key phrase when I'm doing it (because I can't feel it happen, which is making it hard to fix).

JANATHOME

Well last July I twisted my ankle quite bad and had to stop lessons.. After it healed I was feeling I am just not missing this at all and stopped dancing... Lately I began to feel I was missing this part of my life, so I had my first dance lesson since July... At first pro jumps right in to fix posture and I was thinking this is so not what I want, I want to just dance... So that lasted about 15 minutes and rest of the lesson what like ahhh, that wonderful feeling of the flight dancing the waltz.. After the hour and a half lesson I walked out a happy camper... Actually 5 hours later I still have a feeling of overwhelming happiness and am just smiling!!

Loki

Interesting. I've heard similar things from others who've had injuries. First they're bummed out a bit, but then they find or go back to other hobbies/activities and realize they don't really miss dancing or competing or whatever. And they also realize what a boatload of money they're saving.

Once they heal up and go back to dance though, it's like someone threw a switch and they're back in full out.

Something to ponder over a glass of Kentucky.

Dance Ads