how are your lessons going? thread II

RiseNFall

I had an excellent coaching today with the woman co-owner (WCO) of the studio and Smooth New Guy. I'll be having at least one lesson a week with him this month, including another one tomorrow where we can work on reinforcing what we did today. Pro will be gone for a whole week at the end of May and we'll do another coaching then.

I love working with WCO because she's excellent, I get her for the price of a lesson instead of a coaching, and I get the continuity of repeat coachings when I want/need/can-afford them.

Ugh, i was hopping for good lesson last night, but i was too stressed, too full, and too tired to have it feel good. It wasn't bad, i did ok, but it was a lot of work to just move my body at all. i need a vacation from work.

As you enter the right turn you have a left side positive forward step on one forward step turning on two but keep a hip to head connection. Your left hip swinging left her head counters rightward poise . You will find it easy to safely get around her if you stretch /fill the connection at this point step side on three nowvits a hip to head connection your right hip pulling rightward her head countering in leftward poise spine angles matched leftward tilt knees forward and to the right.

Now the passing steps. Think of simply exchanging her from your left hand to the right like passing something down a line

Keep the connections and spine angles the same through the process. I struggled with this but my pro fixed it by having her dance across my path diagonal wall. ( this helps se up the repeat as it shaves off some turn on the repeat right your steps will be smaller of course. After the third step it's hip to head again but you are in stop with your head in leftward pose connected to her right hip.

3wishes

ok, so a slew of things...over the course of "lessons" really,,the bare minimum because we were both traveling, developed a VW showcase. Received really great coaching and finishing touches.
Performed VW Showcase last Thursday. My own personal return to the floor went rather well I would say, lessons soaked in, coaching really soaked in and it felt good.
Fast forward.
To yesterday. Pro wants to keep this VW in his magic bag of tricks because he liked it so much. That's a first.
Coaching, with a coach I haven't seen in 3 years, was on this very dance. And I suddenly feel like, well, gumby. Coach positioned me where i "needed to be so I'm not square" left or right, reach, split legs...uhhhhhhh................then coach says after this entire 45 minute "workout"...wow she's really flexible...uhhhhhhh. Yep, just put yesterday up there with a very hard Pilates workout for a newcomer. GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. in the long run, it was good, in the short version since i was the middle of the sandwich dancing with coach on the outside of me and pro on the inside track,,,,well,,,,I had to flex or someone was going to fall and it wasn't going to be me.

yesterday lesson was...uneven. not enough solo practice for the last 5 days or so due to being under the weather and SUPER busy, and it showed in the lesson, sigh. but my cha cha is still good! this weekend is less packed, so i will have time to practice and be back on track. wasn't bad, really, just...not as good as i can do. rounds rounds rounds and nothing but for the next three week.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
sigh...missing the days when time and money were more in abundance...only 6-8 lessons before next comp and I feel as though I have no idea when I will have time to get the helpful info I paid for on lessons into my body

RiseNFall

I had the second in a series of coachings with the woman co-owner of the studio (WCO) and Smooth New Guy today. Followed up on what we did a week and a half ago, added in a few more things, and also did a little VW. All basics.... I'll be shocked the day we move on. :) It's feeling terrific, however, and I'm happy to do this as long as needed. Friday I have a coaching with her and Rhythm New Guy where we'll be doing smooth. His and my last couple of lessons have been working on small bits of rhumba and cha cha that bothered either him or me, and then switching to smooth. I know I said it before, but she is a great teacher/coach and I feel so fortunate to have her as a resource in the studio. She is my new favorite way of making up lessons I miss.:D

So after making the choice to split with my partner in February after university nationals. I have really not been dancing much. But the other day had a group class with guest teachers as out latin teacher is out of town for a few months. Ii have to say it went really well! They spent time going over Jive and stamina and I think I may have a couple of privates with then as I felt Ii responded well

RiseNFall

I'm sorry, FF. Pro and I certainly have times where we would like to throttle the other one, and I know I have glanced at the clock in a lesson a couple of times thinking "can I get the f*ck out of here yet?" We have worked out the pre-comp lessons very well, however. It was clear what the patterns were, and what was leading to them, and we found fixes that we both are happy about.

FancyFeet

We just comp prep in opposite ways. I like to prep early, be ready, then just coast in the week of all nice and relaxed... he likes to up the work and intensity leading in.

It is better than it used to be... but still not so fun.

RiseNFall

Better is good! And probably the most that be hoped for. ;) Pro and I occasionally switch "roles". I remember his saying shortly before one competition, "And you chose now to try to incorporate this into your dancing???"

RiseNFall

Pro said something was "perfect". :) Second time in 4 1/2 years of dancing with him. Of course, I was so stunned that he said that, I don't actually remember what it was in reference to (a measure or two of tango, but not sure which couple of measures we were working on at the time).

Dance Ads