how are your lessons going? thread II

Lessons have been a bit sporadic due to my coach competing, but the ones I have had have generally been pretty solid (although I did have a particularly unproductive one after pulling all nighter due to work and school). A couple of people who take lessons at the same time I do mentioned to me that they could see a noticeable improvement in my dance which was really nice to hear.

Still focusing on quality of movement but the notes have gotten more nit-picky which lets me know I’m generally on the right track. Also started adding in new content which I have to admit I’m probably unreasonably excited for. I’m still stilling the basics every day, and I’m committed to making what I already know better, but it is nice to have new stuff to work on.

Pro let the following slip:
1) The new choreo we've been tinkering with is something he's wanted to put in his pro routine for a while (he hasn't been competing due to aforementioned family reasons), and he finally went 'well, I know FF can do it'.
2) Students have been coming to him because of how I dance, especially once they hear I'm not a transplant from another studio. I've apparently been cited a number of times since nationals as 'I want to dance like her'.

Concrete signs of progress :dancingbanana:

smooth and rhythm lessons last night - rounds to prep for comps. Went well, which was very nice! also fixed a few more nagging things. Knee is getting a cortisone shot tomorrow. I tried to avoid that, but while it's getting stronger with PT, the pain is not lessening enough. saw my new new showdance choreo and it is HILARIOUS AND AWESOME AND I AM SO EXCITED I CANNOT HANDLE IT
Had a lesson for the first time since July.... tweaked the waltz routine I learnt (new) back then - I had remembered it all, just a few alignments to tidy up and adjustments to make due to no dancing WITH someone. Then I asked to learn the foxtrot for that level (Gold).... when I got back to my accomodation I wrote down what I thought was right and then looked at the video - I got the first 16 figures right, missed one, got the next few, then was vague - I remembered there was a lunge, twist turn, hover cross and hover telemark but not the in between bits. So I remembered over half correctly. Very pleased, and also pleased at how it looks - the bits in waltz that felt good also looked OK and where I was thinking hard my frame and arms dropped a bit. I am OK with that. Also did a few group sessions during the week - Gold and above New Vogue (yikes, very out of practice but some kind partners were very patient) then beginner New Vogue, where I partnered as man (much to the surprise/amusement of some of the guys from the previous advanced class). I was able to dance with around 5 different ladies - great for all concerned. I can repeat it all again this coming week and then have to be patient again until I get back to this city in 6? months time.
I learned all about runarounds yesterday! Seriously... very good session on aspects of frame, head position, balance, transitions, and all in all, how to do a runaround that's actually coordinated. Applicable to many other things. Now I have muscle isolations I need to work on...
well, smooth was not painful. but I was tentative dancing through it, since i didn't have my brace on, and i didn't know how far i could push my knee without it really hurting. Turns out i can dance full out! so that bodes well for competition. watched my rumba performance from last friday - i think it looks better than previously, but it's not what i thought it would be.
Nice lessons today with New(er) Guy. He and I hadn't danced tango together for a long time and he could tell the progress that I've made. I'm planning on competing with him in May or June, so we went through everything in all four dances, and we were both pleased. Overall, I'm getting much more consistent. I'm also (finally) getting better at error recovery.

Dance Ads