How can I dance like this

yeah right :lol:
it's been at least 2 months since I took any leading lessons, I rarely have incentive to practice, not to mention how hard it is to find partner + time + space. I lead occassional cha cha chas, but when I'm out, i can't help but fall back into following

it's so much more fun :p

oh yeah I remember about a month ago I was watching April Genovese lead :notworth: and was so :( I'll never be able to lead that well (much better than any male leads there that night)...I asked her how she learned to lead so well, and she said it was through teaching

it's teh same thing my other instructor (female) friends have said

so I guess unless I'm ready to teach or am really invested in leading (which I'm not right now) my lead won't develop beyond beg-intermediate

necessity...

shdni said:
Have u ever heard that:
"Dancing "On 1" is dancing "TO" the music. Dancing "On 2" is dancing "IN" the music.
Here's the source of the original quote from salsanewyork.com

We start on 1, we break on 2: This distinguishes standard New York On 2 timing from those which break on 1, 3, etc., and those which don't begin their moves on the 1st beat, such as timings where the dancers step on 2, 3, 4, and 6, 7, 8, for example Razz M' Tazz and some Palladium, ballroom and international styles. Cuban Pete's Personal Opinion - Quoting Fernando Lamadrid, "Cuban Pete, one of the greatest dancers of the Palladium era once explained it like this: "Dancing "On 1" is dancing "TO" the music. Dancing "On 2" is dancing "IN" the music. And at a panel discussion at the World Salsa Congress, he said "....Dancing "On 1" is like dancing to the melody of the music, while dancing "On 2" is like dancing in the rhythm of the music." It might actually be more precise to say ".......dancing "On 2" is like dancing in the rhythm of the clave's tension-resolving and dominant 2 beat". While these statements are only an opinion, they are not uncommon. They do reflect many On 2 dancers' belief and feeling, especially those who danced on another timing previously, that this particular method connects them more to the rhythmic percussive elements in the salsa music. And, by the way, most of us also love the melody and the words in the songs, not just the rhythm. The major point here is that the New York On 2 timing connects very well to the rhythmic structure of classic salsa music

My teacher is very smooth. When we have lessons, one of the things she tries to do is make my dancing smoother, sometimes it is softening the knees, other times it is the way that weight shifts are transitioned.

Maybe some people are born that way, but I think it can also be learned.

africana said:
by the way his partner Magna Gopal is regarded as "one of the top three followers" and spinners (to quote some website).....whatever, she's still very skilled in nearly any component of partner or solo work. And Yes she has danced a LOT with Jareau...
Magna Gopal is awesome. There's no question about it. Jareau is incredible. I think they dance wonderfully together.

If you aren't convinced of these facts, you should be careful not to form undermining opinions of them based on a single clip.

theSalsero said:
Magna Gopal is awesome. There's no question about it. Jareau is incredible. I think they dance wonderfully together.

If you aren't convinced of these facts, you should be careful not to form undermining opinions of them based on a single clip.
??
pretty sure you're not addressing me here considering my other posts on this thread about these dancers

alemana said:
so i guess my simple answer to the question posed in this topic is, "dance like hell all the time for a really long time."
:applause:

To this, I would also add: "Be adaptable & have an open/humble attitude to learn & evolve."

Quality is every bit as important (if not more) as quantity.

I know *many* highly regarded salser@s (who have been around for a loooong time) who have simply stopped growing........ instead, they got stuck in the mindset of "remember the good old days" :cry: ........

just wanted to say I met a visiting dancer tonight who totally dances and looks like Milton Cobo...soooo dreamy I'm still in la la land thinking about those 3 dances :D :D

(also danced with a well-known instructor who was in town :) )
what a night!!

Josh

These two in this video dance very well together, and both seem to be wonderful dancers. But, does anyone else feel that they look a little complacent, a little bored, maybe not into the dance? I'm not judging them based on this clip, just talking about this particular clip. It's smooth for sure--maybe a little too smooth? thoughts?

Josh said:
But, does anyone else feel that they look a little complacent, a little bored, maybe not into the dance? I'm not judging them based on this clip, just talking about this particular clip. It's smooth for sure--maybe a little too smooth? thoughts?
I think that's the idea - they dance so well that it looks effortless. Plus there are dancing ET2 - that's the style, ultra smoooooth.

I think you would like LA style better.

Regardless, sign of a pro is that they make difficult things look easy.

Dance Ads