How do you lead a Fouette ?

Vincent and Flavia's story is fraudulent. They weren't World Argentine Tango Show Champions once, let alone twice. There's no record of any such championship being held. In the years they claim to have won, they entered the IDO World Argentino Tango Championship and finished third.
I know this - in fact, I corrected their Wikipedia pages accordingly. :)

Yet you're asking how to lead it.

We apparently differ on the meaning of learned and teacher, too.
That's a little harsh. No-one learns everything from a single class, after all.

I probably wouldn't be so extreme as to say "it's not tango" either - it's just not a step I like. But there are loads of steps I don't like...

No-one learns everything from a single class, after all.
Agreed, but if a guy learned a move at all, he surely learned whether it is "lead with the right hand".

Very often "I learned a step from a teacher" actually means "I learned of a step from an instructor." That's not a problem... unless ones mistakes this for learning to dance.

Zoopsia59

Agreed, but if a guy learned a move at all, he surely learned whether it is "lead with the right hand".

Very often "I learned a step from a teacher" actually means "I learned of a step from an instructor." That's not a problem... unless ones mistakes this for learning to dance.
I suppose that's a fair distinction, but keep in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as a first language. As a foreign language, there's probably little difference between 'teacher' and 'instructor'.

Also, if the OP had felt that he had completely learned it, he wouldn't have posted a question about it. So I don't think we have to worry about him confusing "hearing about a potential step" with learning to dance.

I suppose that's a fair distinction, but keep in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as a first language.
Good point - thanks.

As a foreign language, there's probably little difference between 'teacher' and 'instructor'.
No-one can teach a chair to dance.
Anyone can instruct a chair to dance.

IME, generally dance classes have instructors whereas one-on-one lessons and directed practicas have teachers. There are exceptions.

I'd be inclined to give OD the benefit of the doubt on this one; he's got a reasonable history of constructive contibutions on this forum.

Zoopsia59

Good point - thanks.

IME, generally dance classes have instructors whereas one-on-one lessons have teachers. There are exceptions.
Its interesting to me that you are nit-picking vocabulary in one thread and advising on how to learn language "naturally" on another.

These sorts of refined definitions are the type of distinctions that one learns through extended education and most children (learning their native tongue the way children do) would not understand them, I don't think.

dchester

Staff member

IME, generally dance classes have instructors whereas one-on-one lessons and directed practicas have teachers. There are exceptions.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instruct

Main Entry: in·struct
Pronunciation: \in-'strəkt\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin instructus, past participle of instruere, from in- + struere to build — more at structure
Date: 15th century

1 : to give knowledge to : teach, train
2 : to provide with authoritative information or advice <the judge instructed the jury>
3 : to give an order or command to : direct
synonyms see teach, command

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/instruct

in-struct

–verb (used with object)
1. to furnish with knowledge, esp. by a systematic method; teach; train; educate.
2. to furnish with orders or directions; direct; order; command: The doctor instructed me to diet.
3. to furnish with information; inform; apprise.
4. Law. (of a judge) to guide (a jury) by outlining the legal principles involved in the case under consideration.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/instruct?view=uk

instruct

• verb 1 direct or command. 2 teach. 3 inform of a fact or situation. 4 chiefly Brit. authorize (a solicitor or barrister) to act on one’s behalf.

— ORIGIN Latin instruere ‘construct, equip, teach’.

opendoor

Re: interesting confusion

We apparently differ on the meaning of learned and teacher, too.
Very often "I learned a step from a teacher" actually means "I learned of a step from an instructor".
..As a foreign language, there's probably little difference between 'teacher' and 'instructor'.
Thanks Zoopsia, I was not aware that there could be such a relevant difference between these terms.

First of all, I would describe myself as a fill-in instructor.
To call Karin "my teacher" means, that we discuss on an interlectual level, bc. I have a deeper interest in her dancing-philosphy and accept her motion-concepts. Karin´s teacher again is John Neumeier.

From older posts you know that I used to chafe at these more traditional syllabus of Todaro or Pugliese, and was attracted by the ideas of Naveira.

Hope this may help to clarify?

You appear to be talking from personal experience and have obviously spent time working out that you cannot teach a chair to dance but can instruct it to (how I don't know)

Personally speaking, only an idiot would try to teach or instruct a chair to dance.

Zoopsia59

You appear to be talking from personal experience and have obviously spent time working out that you cannot teach a chair to dance but can instruct it to (how I don't know)

Personally speaking, only an idiot would try to teach or instruct a chair to dance.
Of course, if you're Fred Astaire, you could LEAD a chair to dance.

Dance Ads