How often do you practice dance?

I am curious about people that do auditions (Perhaps for TV, professional teams, plays, etc), competitions, or teach. Some of the questions may not be applicable. In other words, I am seeking answers from people that do dance for more then just fun. (Although fun can still be involved) However, others are welcomed to answer.

How often do you practice dance in a class? How often do you practice (Not just clubbing, but like try and incorporate new moves or work on weak areas) outside of class? How often do you stretch in class? How often do you stretch outside of class on your own time? How flexible would you consider yourself?

Anyways, the reason I am asking is because I saw a thing on E! (A TV station in the US) about Kevin Federline. During one part it stated he practiced every night for hours on end. It kind of made me think I don't practice enough.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I take around 7 hours of privates a week...plus another 3 hours of groups plus another 2 hours of social dancing plus a minimum of 6 hours of cardio , weights and stretching and then about 6 hours of practice....but thats just me and most people think I am insane and they may be correct

Proffessional performers have to practice almost every day to stay at the peak of physical fitness that reduces the likelihood of injury.

The pinnacle of this is Ballet dancers who do 'class' for several hours a day - barre work to streatch then working on choreography.

I looked after a small touring ballet company (6-8 dancers iirc) when they visited a local theatre. They had to have at least two hours on stage in the afternoon for class.

Medira

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination...not even close. However, I usually do an hour or two of private lessons a week (schedule-dependent), at least 5 group classes a week (again, schedule-dependent), 2-4 ballroom social dances, 3-4 latin club nights and somewhere between 10 and 15 hours of solo practice a week. In addition to that, I spend about 10 hours a week at the gym.

mamboqueen

fascination said:
I take around 7 hours of privates a week...plus another 3 hours of groups plus another 2 hours of social dancing plus a minimum of 6 hours of cardio , weights and stretching and then about 6 hours of practice....but thats just me and most people think I am insane and they may be correct

Heavens to murgatory! You do all this more than I *sleep* in a week!

the pros i know practice anywhere from 3-5 hours a day, averaging 6 days a week. they don't take group classes except in complimentary styles like ballet. they also teach many hours a day, and submit to pilates or other "bodywork" as much as they can afford, which is usually not enough.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
alemana said:
the pros i know practice anywhere from 3-5 hours a day, averaging 6 days a week. they don't take group classes except in complimentary styles like ballet. they also teach many hours a day, and submit to pilates or other "bodywork" as much as they can afford, which is usually not enough.
yeah the pros I know are teaching 8 hours a day and then working out another two and only practcing when it can be squeezed in...gotta make a living

Currently I am taking 2-3 lessons a week, a ballet class, belly dancing class, a technique/styling class and Pilates. Also I walk 3-4 miles at least 3 times a week and work out at the gym. My husband and I are going to start competing together, and doing a number in a show, so I also have another lesson with him plus 3-4 hours of practice during the week. Ballroom class and dance practice party on Friday nights-usually about 3 hours. I recently started a full-time job and lost about an hour of time in the morning when I used to practice technique, new "moves" and routines. I miss it--

Twilight_Elena

My ideal practice time would be around 2h/day, including weekends, so about 14h/week. Unfortunately, with my exams coming up next week, I've been thrown off schedule. I have to regroup...

Twilight Elena

I stretch every day (at night)
also I'd like to start doing pilates classes 2-3 times per week (I don't know how many is optimal, gotta speak to a pilates teacher) and/or yoga.
I practice ideally every day about 2-3 hours at a time (7 days per week, sometimes 6 days per week taking one day off). Currently don't have a partner so I practice couple times per week by myself and with a practice partner as much as he can.

As a professional dancer I have to dance every day. Practicing with different partners and giving classes. I do 3 hours of social dancing 5 to 7 nights a week. During the day I practice from 8am to 6pm. The more I dance the more money I make. And I do all styles from pop locking to ballet to salsa to martial arts and then even more styles. It never ends.

FancyFeet

I take one lesson and up to three classes a week. Solo practice is 4-5 times a week, at 1.5-3 hours (depends on whether it's a lesson or class day, and how hard the class/lesson was). Occasionally, I'll attend a social. I also hit the gym or do some sort of cross-training workout twice a week. With this, I keep one full rest day and one lighter day.

I average about 12 hours a week dancing, but can be up to 20 hours in pre-competition prep mode.

I take one 45 min private a week plus a three hour technique class, then try to do ballet class once to twice a week as well. Also try to practice about an hour every weekday.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well...after this week I will have to cut back on my lessons due to budget...so I am hoping I can counter balance some of the damage by practicing more....

Hedwaite

It's funny (not the best phrasing, but lacking better at the moment) how things can change over the course of a few years. Since this was a surprisingly short thread, I actually read the whole of it. I was wondering, had the original weekly practice amounts changed at all from the beginning to now, like a gradual tapering, or will it really be as abrupt from full-time to an sudden weaning from the schedule?

I'm currently doing 24 give or take hours a week in various forms of "I'm here and moving on the floor with my shoes on", maybe a little more just screwing around. It only changes during college intercession, when we drop six hours. Then again, my dance-world is very not-traditional when compared to many of the regularly-dancing dancers here. It wouldn't be a good fit for them, but it works great for me, and I hope I can keep doing it as long as I possibly can.

You never know, though, which is why I'm hesitant to jinx it by being "overly happy aloud" and bragging on it. I've been on top of the world one minute, and busted flat on my knat the next. I really needed this past year. It was a really good one, and helped fill in the ditch I was in quite a lot, so I think I'm out now for a minute.

CodyZ

Tbh, dancing is a nonstop thing for me. Whether I'm moon walking around town (which leads to a need for an abundance of shoes) or tutting and hand dancing out side on the wall.

I try and dedicate 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day minimum for just dance.
I freestyle, and don't have routines, so I just go to the room and turn music on. Easy fun stress relief.

Well I'm still in school so I go to school at 7:30am and get home around 4pm then I do homework every night until around 8pm then i have to eat dinner and take a shower for my next day of school so I usually don't get to start practicing until 9 or 10pm... I practice though everyday for at least 30 mins sometimes I have even been up at 12am practicing on a school night lol I do take a private lesson every week

Now when school is out I usually spend about 1.5-2hours everyday

Dance Ads