how to loosen up in bachata

Hello everyone,
I have been wanting to learn how to dance bachata for as long as I remember. I am Colombian and Sadly I don`t know how to dance salsa or bachata. I recently got a girlfriend and she dances everything and when we go to events she always wants to dance and I do too but I just don`t know how. Anyway for the past 2 days I`ve been watching a lot of videos and I try to follow but its kind of hard without a partner ( I live in a different city for a few days at a time due to school so thats why I can`t practice with my GF) Anyway I watch myself in the mirror doing the basic steps but I am very stiff and If I start to move my hips I feel like I am forcing myself too and its not coming naturally. Whenever I go out and decide to dance I dont want to have to think about my hips moving and instead enjoy the music. What can I do do loosen up and make it come naturally
Thank you

I personally to just loosen up is to just to feel the beat and rhythm of the music. The best way to not think about hips is to just maybe try a small tap, the hips will come over time (as I see it with my own boyfriend who has no dance experience what so ever). Batchata I feel like you can catch the beat a lot more than you can with salsa. My advice is to watch certain dance videos try looking up these videos on youtube

- Daniel y Desiree Batchata Men solo- I love Batchata
- Batchata footwork ( LENTOS)
- Men styling Batchata Dance (howcast)

Happy dancing!

Hello everyone,
I have been wanting to learn how to dance bachata for as long as I remember. I am Colombian and Sadly I don`t know how to dance salsa or bachata. I recently got a girlfriend and she dances everything and when we go to events she always wants to dance and I do too but I just don`t know how. Anyway for the past 2 days I`ve been watching a lot of videos and I try to follow but its kind of hard without a partner ( I live in a different city for a few days at a time due to school so thats why I can`t practice with my GF) Anyway I watch myself in the mirror doing the basic steps but I am very stiff and If I start to move my hips I feel like I am forcing myself too and its not coming naturally. Whenever I go out and decide to dance I dont want to have to think about my hips moving and instead enjoy the music. What can I do do loosen up and make it come naturally
Thank you
It comes with time. Don't try to force anything because the movements will look contrived and you will look stiffer. As you get more comfortable with your body and the movements you will loosen up. Practicing by yourself as much as possible will be a great help!

Angel HI

I`ve been watching a lot of videos and I try to follow but its kind of hard without a partner
This is why learning from vids is never a good idea. When watching a video, you are seeing the end result of the movement (the step), not how to do it.
I watch myself in the mirror doing the basic steps but I am very stiff and If I start to move my hips I feel like I am forcing myself too and its not coming naturally.
This part of your post is perfect, b/c it answers your question. Like I wrote above, bachata, like all dance, is not about the steps, it's about the movement (the dance). So, - 1 - you mentioned doing the basic steps. Don't even think about the steps; just go where the dance goes, and don't worry about the steps. They will correct themselves by default. Instead, - 2 - focus on moving more naturally --you already said it yourself-- . Bachata is danced in 2 ways; soft and sexy, and syncopated and rhythmic. Pick one. then focus on moving the body from the rib cage, letting the feet and legs move last. This is the first step to developing the natural movement that you are looking for without stiff steps.

Keep us posted. Love Bachata.

Dance Ads