"I Can Dance; 4 Stories"

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
MIT Ballroom Team is having a showing this week, on campus for the team members, since there is a huge scene with me teaching their group class. Should be fun.
Welcome to DF mjr!

I used to work for PBS and it might be possible to find a distribution channel for buying the dvd. I am already contacting my two local stations to see if they will air the film.
Congrats to Larinda and the other dancers interviewed! I watched the youtube intro clip - mahvelous!

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Each local PBS station picks it up independently. This time it is just NY PBS ch 13.

You can certainly call your own local station and request a showing in your area.
A few years ago I was interviewed for a very small dvd that was being printed and inserted into a book, written by a pro-am gal named Lydia, called I can Dance. It was about her experiences in the ballroom world.

After I was interviewed the producers and editors decided to expand the video and make a whole movie, called I Can Dance; Four Stories. There were 4 people chosen to be featured in this documentary. Myself, John Nymcheck, Lydia, and a cute very old pro-am woman named Matilda. My portion of the documentary focused on my move to Boston, my pro-am championship work with Cantski, as well as my work with the MIT Ballroom Team.

The documentary was made and then the movie stalled. And stalled. And stalled. However, now, some 2 years later PBS is picking up the movie and it will be broadcast starting this November. NH PBS will be starting and then it will move out from there. When I get the dates and times I will post them here.
I don't know if you will get this because I see that dates are from 2011. I had just seen I Can Dance Four Stories this past summer, Aug 2012. I am 61 years old and have been taking ballroom dance lessons for a little over a year now and a long time fantasy and dream of doing this has finally come true. After watching this show I was so inspired and moved by all of the stories it has made me a better ballroom dancer. Although I have a long way to go and do compeititions through my dance studio, it is by far the best thing I have ever done in my life. Is there a way I can get the DVD if this show as I see it will probably not be playing again in New Jersey for some time. Thank you so much for inspiring so many people especially me.

Dance Ads