I Can't Believe I'm Doing This . . .

Vince A

Well, I'm still working pretty hard . . . steadily, but slowly losing a few pounds . . . competition in Arizona is the weekend after next . . . Pro-Am Swing and Hustle if she is up to it . . . Just Dance Swing with a lady who said she has never done a "Just Dance" before . . . then Jack and Jills.

Will get to see a few DF'ers there . . .

I usually don't have a problem with nerves . . . you know, Mr Cool, ice-water flowing through my veins, etc. But now I'm already thinking about it, and getting myself worked up . . . I just have to remember how to I used to channel that nervousness into energy!

I can do it!

I think I can?

"I hate competiting to pieces."

chachachacat

Vince A said:
Well, I'm still working pretty hard . . . steadily, but slowly losing a few pounds . . . competition in Arizona is the weekend after next . . . Pro-Am Swing and Hustle if she is up to it . . . Just Dance Swing with a lady who said she has never done a "Just Dance" before . . . then Jack and Jills.

Will get to see a few DF'ers there . . .

I usually don't have a problem with nerves . . . you know, Mr Cool, ice-water flowing through my veins, etc. But now I'm already thinking about it, and getting myself worked up . . . I just have to remember how to I used to channel that nervousness into energy!

I can do it!

I think I can?

"I hate competiting to pieces."
You can do it, Vincenzo!!!
I know you will be great!!!!

Sagitta said:
Medira said:
*peeks in* ...any updates guys?
How about ya?
Well, I weighed myself this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see that I finally broke the barrier that I had encountered. I had been stuck at a plateau for a couple of weeks now and it didn't seem as if any of the adjustments I was making to my routine was having any effect. It was very frustrating...BUT! I can now proudly say that I've lost 50 lbs. since the middle of February. I'm feeling good -- still no back pain and I'm at the point where I'm taking in the waist of all of my pants and skirts (I don't have the money to buy new stuff, so I'm working with what I've got)

Last night, I signed up for some group swing classes at another local studio, so between that, my current studio, the gym, the pool and the lake at the cottage, I've been busting my butt to get back to where I want to be. I'm also considering looking into night classes with the NBC again, as well as getting back into tap and possibly jazz. One of my more long-term goals is to get my flexibility back to the point where I can oversplit comfortably and hopefully regain a full unsupported leg extension. *sigh* I miss my flexibility. I can still split without too much trouble, but I have a long way to go.

As far as the comp goes Vince, just remember to have fun with it! You've done this before. You know what you're doing. :)

...and remember slowly getting in shape is better than not doing it at all.

Vince A

Medira said:
Well, I weighed myself this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see that I finally broke the barrier that I had encountered. I had been stuck at a plateau for a couple of weeks now and it didn't seem as if any of the adjustments I was making to my routine was having any effect. It was very frustrating...BUT! I can now proudly say that I've lost 50 lbs. since the middle of February.
WOW . . . congratulations . . . that's some feat!

Medira said:
I'm feeling good -- still no back pain and I'm at the point where I'm taking in the waist of all of my pants and skirts (I don't have the money to buy new stuff, so I'm working with what I've got)
And you know, I don't think I would buy new stuff, at least until I'm sure where I want to end up, and if you get there or not.

Medira said:
Last night, I signed up for some group swing classes at another local studio, so between that, my current studio, the gym, the pool and the lake at the cottage, I've been busting my butt to get back to where I want to be. I'm also considering looking into night classes with the NBC again, as well as getting back into tap and possibly jazz. One of my more long-term goals is to get my flexibility back to the point where I can oversplit comfortably and hopefully regain a full unsupported leg extension. *sigh* I miss my flexibility. I can still split without too much trouble, but I have a long way to go.
Sounds like you're pretty dang flexible to me . . .

Medira said:
As far as the comp goes Vince, just remember to have fun with it! You've done this before. You know what you're doing. :)
Yes I do. I guess I'm nervous because I don't know if we are competiting for sure or not . . . I'm prepping and practicing hard . . .

Medira said:
Yes, yes, yes! I remember how my divorce hit me back in '96 . . . I lost 67 pounds in 2 months, and I really hurt myself internally. This loss, though I don't think I look overweight, will be a pound a week, or so!

Thanks for the congrats! It feels good having lost that much, though not as good as knowing I'm free of back pain (unless I do something dumb, or gain the weight back again)

Vince A said:
Medira said:
I'm feeling good -- still no back pain and I'm at the point where I'm taking in the waist of all of my pants and skirts (I don't have the money to buy new stuff, so I'm working with what I've got)
And you know, I don't think I would buy new stuff, at least until I'm sure where I want to end up, and if you get there or not.
Well, I know that some of the stuff I would buy now will still fit me when I hit my goal. The fact that some of the clothes I wore when I was in high school will fit me again proves it. You're right though...better safe.

Vince A said:
Medira said:
Sounds like you're pretty dang flexible to me . . .
I am still quite flexible...just not as flexible as I'd like to be. It's another one of those items on the list of fitness goals I have. That full, unsupported leg extension is one of the larger goals...

Vince A said:
Medira said:
Yes I do. I guess I'm nervous because I don't know if we are competiting for sure or not . . . I'm prepping and practicing hard . . .
Good for you! That's what's going to help you to know that you're ready for this. You can do it. :D I know it.

Vince A said:
Medira said:
Yes, yes, yes! I remember how my divorce hit me back in '96 . . . I lost 67 pounds in 2 months, and I really hurt myself internally. This loss, though I don't think I look overweight, will be a pound a week, or so!
67 lbs. in two months??? That's insane! I can't imagine what sort of havoc that must have wreaked on your body... No lasting damage though, I assume/hope? A pound a week is definitely more than reasonable. How has it been going?

pygmalion

Medira said:
I'm also considering looking into night classes with the NBC again, as well as getting back into tap and possibly jazz.
NBC? Something Ballet Company? 8)

And congrats on all your progress -- especially your milestone. You rock. :notworth: :D

chachachacat

Congratulations, Medira!! Wow, 50 pounds gone!! and no back pain - YAY!! You go, girl!

I have rededicated myself to doing Yoga daily, religiously.
I feel SO great! Balanced, centered, strong, tall, and flexible, more every day. I've lost 4 pounds, and my waist is smaller!
Look out, I'll be tearing up the dancefloor soon!

I'm especially motivated by two things at the end of August/early Sept.
1- The Embassy Ball, (debut back to the Ballroom Comp World after 3 years!!)
and 2- My SO's sister is coming to visit and we will be doing the Getty Museum and LACMA! ( Los Angeles County Museum of Art, incl. King Tut!) Lotsa walking, and I don't want to miss a single painting!

chachachacat said:
I feel SO great! Balanced, centered, strong, tall, and flexible, more every day. I've lost 4 pounds, and my waist is smaller!
I think yoga would be great for a dancer. I wish I could get into it, I am not balanced, centered, strong, tall or flexible! The university I work at offers Yoga classes but they are during the day. I have taken classes during the day and called it my lunch hour but they it is usally 49 18 or 19 year olds and me! In a history or math class, it never mattered but in a Yoga, I would feel very old!

chachachacat

Swingolder said:
chachachacat said:
I think yoga would be great for a dancer. I wish I could get into it, I am not balanced, centered, strong, tall or flexible! The university I work at offers Yoga classes but they are during the day. I have taken classes during the day and called it my lunch hour but they it is usally 49 18 or 19 year olds and me! In a history or math class, it never mattered but in a Yoga, I would feel very old!
'Yoga has been known for its gentle stretching, good for older folks as well as everyone! Maybe you can find a really good tape and some private time to do Yoga. Or another class somewhere, they are popping up all over. It's good to have a teacher to start.

*Yoga is about focusing internally, on your own body, often with your eyes closed.* It doesn't matter who else is in the class, it's not about comparison at all.

I'm not tall, either, (not as tall as you look in your pic!) but I am standing tallER. :D

pygmalion

Yoga is great! For all ages, IMO, especially if you can find a good instructor who gives both poses and modifications of each pose. That way, whatever your level of flexibility, you can participate. 8)

pygmalion said:
Medira said:
I'm also considering looking into night classes with the NBC again, as well as getting back into tap and possibly jazz.
NBC? Something Ballet Company? 8)

And congrats on all your progress -- especially your milestone. You rock. :notworth: :D
Thank you so much! It feels wonderful and it's more than I could have ever hoped for.

NBC = National Ballet of Canada - I work five blocks away and I used to take night classes there before my accident. I've been hoping to look into what sort of adult classes they offer. :) I go by there every morning and watch the dancers warming up in the main studio...and every morning I sigh and wonder where I could have been if I hadn't had the interruption. (I would have never been a company dancer. I don't have the right body type. I had the flexibility though.)

Cat - I'm so glad to hear that yoga is helping! Once I get situated in my new job, I'll be in a good location where I can swing over to lunch time classes a couple of times a week at a gym across the street.

Best of luck on the walking and fitness goals! I'm sure you'll be able to reach them in plenty of time to shine at the Ball. :)

Swingolder - Maybe check out your local recreation centres? They may have a yoga class in the evenings that would have a crowd that is more comfortable for you. :)

Dance Ads