I Can't Believe I'm Doing This . . .

Well, we're coming to the tail end of my week of entertaining a guest from London. Exercise hasn't been all that high on my priotity list, but I did get out swimming and diving over the weekend and I've spent most of the week walking for hours around Toronto with my friend. I also got him out to the dance studio for the guest party they were throwing. I did an impromptu salsa demo and I think I've managed to snag a new ballroom convert! Food-wise, I haven't been eating as well as I normally do simply because of my friend. I've been eating out a lot more than normal, so I plan on remedying that on Sunday once he's on his way back home. The visit has been great, but it's thrown a crimp in my progress. I will be back on track on Sunday, if not Saturday night.

How's everybody else doing?
 
Medira said:
Well, we're coming to the tail end of my week of entertaining a guest from London. Exercise hasn't been all that high on my priotity list, but I did get out swimming and diving over the weekend and I've spent most of the week walking for hours around Toronto with my friend. How's everybody else doing?
I still do my running when I am out of town - a great way to see a new place! The big problem then is sweaty clothes and shoes in the hotel. I also find that I never seem to gain weight because of both the running and the all the extra walking. The best vacations are those where everything is in walking distance and you don't need a car.
 

chachachacat

Well-Known Member
I went for a walk yesterday, then 2 hours of shopping!!!! My favorite exercise, next to dancing!
I need to get back to the workout room, though...

How's everyone else doing?
 
chachachacat said:
I went for a walk yesterday, then 2 hours of shopping!!!! My favorite exercise, next to dancing!
I need to get back to the workout room, though...

How's everyone else doing?
My favorite shopping area - a HUGE outdoor outlet mall in the resort area where we own a condo. I can go there every day and really put on the miles (and really put the packages in the car!)
 
Swingolder said:
Medira said:
Well, we're coming to the tail end of my week of entertaining a guest from London. Exercise hasn't been all that high on my priotity list, but I did get out swimming and diving over the weekend and I've spent most of the week walking for hours around Toronto with my friend. How's everybody else doing?
I still do my running when I am out of town - a great way to see a new place! The big problem then is sweaty clothes and shoes in the hotel. I also find that I never seem to gain weight because of both the running and the all the extra walking. The best vacations are those where everything is in walking distance and you don't need a car.
I agree completely!

The weekend was spent on 11 acres in Virginia. My friend has a place out there that comes complete with inground pool and diving board, not to mention many german shepherds to run around and play with. I've been walking my friend into the ground since he came back to Toronto with me though. He keeps saying at the end of the evening that his legs are jello. :p I figure I'm doing a pretty good job. I've never been much of a runner (I just don't like it) but I can walk for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles... :D
 

chachachacat

Well-Known Member
Swingolder said:
chachachacat said:
I went for a walk yesterday, then 2 hours of shopping!!!! My favorite exercise, next to dancing!
I need to get back to the workout room, though...

How's everyone else doing?
My favorite shopping area - a HUGE outdoor outlet mall in the resort area where we own a condo. I can go there every day and really put on the miles (and really put the packages in the car!)
:lol: :lol:
OOoooooh, outlets!!! Last night, we went to Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet - "Off Fifth."
LOVE that store!! Even better than Nordstom Rack!! :D :D :D
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
I'm just a cheerleader, in this thread. But, as a cheerleader, I have to say expect relapses. Don't be too hard on yourself. You walked today. That's good. There are going to be times when you make a lot of progress and times when it looks like you're making none. But don't sweat it. The net result, in the long run, is going to get you closer to where you want to be. Baby steps still get you there. 8) :)
 

chachachacat

Well-Known Member
pygmalion said:
I'm just a cheerleader, in this thread. But, as a cheerleader, I have to say expect relapses. Don't be too hard on yourself. You walked today. That's good. There are going to be times when you make a lot of progress and times when it looks like you're making none. But don't sweat it. The net result, in the long run, is going to get you closer to where you want to be. Baby steps still get you there. 8) :)
Thank you so much!!
 

Vince A

Active Member
Hiya Cat . . . I'm still Playing . . . just busy!

I resonded to this last night before I went to bed. It was there . . . I checked, but it's not there today. Can't remember if I said something bad, and one of them moderators took it off?????????

Strange . . .
 

Josh

Active Member
Medira said:
The weekend was spent on 11 acres in Virginia. My friend has a place out there that comes complete with inground pool and diving board, not to mention many german shepherds to run around and play with. I've been walking my friend into the ground since he came back to Toronto with me though. He keeps saying at the end of the evening that his legs are jello. :p I figure I'm doing a pretty good job. I've never been much of a runner (I just don't like it) but I can walk for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles... :D
I feel the same way about running. I just do not get the runner's euphoria (sp?) that so many people describe. I feel like I always have to justify myself when I'm around runners and races here--I am a huge cycling fan and while I am not as passionate about cycling as dance, I really do like to road bike. So it's always, "yeah, I would have run this race, but I'm more of a cyclist *cough*". Running kills my knees--the constant pounding makes it difficult to even walk if I run for a few days in a row.
 
Medira said:
Swingolder said:
I still do my running when I am out of town - a great way to see a new place! The big problem then is sweaty clothes and shoes in the hotel. I also find that I never seem to gain weight because of both the running and the all the extra walking. The best vacations are those where everything is in walking distance and you don't need a car.
I agree completely!

The weekend was spent on 11 acres in Virginia. My friend has a place out there that comes complete with inground pool and diving board, not to mention many german shepherds to run around and play with. I've been walking my friend into the ground since he came back to Toronto with me though. He keeps saying at the end of the evening that his legs are jello. :p I figure I'm doing a pretty good job. I've never been much of a runner (I just don't like it) but I can walk for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles... :D
Sometimes running gets old, but it is quicker than walking. So since I have limited time to squeeze in six miles, it is faster to run than walk. (Although there are some people that walk almost as fast (slow) as I run.)
 
Swingolder said:
(Although there are some people that walk almost as fast (slow) as I run.)
Yeah, me too. I went running once with my husbdand. It ended abruptly when I looked over to see him walking (!) next to me. I'm 5'6" and he's 6'1" so his legs are a great deal longer, but still. :evil: Oddly enough I can walk faster than he can. :D
 

pygmalion

Well-Known Member
Vince A said:
Hiya Cat . . . I'm still Playing . . . just busy!

I resonded to this last night before I went to bed. It was there . . . I checked, but it's not there today. Can't remember if I said something bad, and one of them moderators took it off?????????

Strange . . .
I've had that happen to me, too, a few times. *shrug*
 
Sorry about the silence, it's been a busy week!

I'm still playing. In fact, I've lost another 4lbs. since the last time I weighed myself, which brings me to a total of 48lbs. lost. This past week was spent mostly dancing, with a couple of evenings where I stayed out way too late at a salsa club. The gym hasn't come back into play yet, but I have plans for next week. In addition, I'm heading up to the cottage this weekend, so I plan on swimming and water skiing for a good portion of the time there. :)

I spent a lot of my downtime at work this week looking into recreational dance classes at local rec centres and universities in town, as well as gyms in the Toronto area. I figure, if I can find a good deal, I can cancel my current membership at home, sign up for one near work and make use of the gym in the morning and over lunch. I'll still have to see how the logistics work though. It isn't a definite decision. There are a lot of appealing options in staying where I am AND switching. I may make use of some of this space to ramble for a bit.

I have a good stability ball workout for those of you with access to one. :)

- Sit on the ball with your feet planted firmly on the ground, feet together and legs bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Let your arms hang comfortably, straight down at your sides light while holding light hand weights.
- Slowly (using one count of eight, if you're listening to moderately paced music) lift your arms straight in front of you until they are parallel to the ground
- Once your arms reach the peak of the movement, slowly (again, one count of eight) lower them back to their resting position
- Repeat 30 times

Things to note:
- Your butt should not move! You'll need to tighten your abdominal muscles and really work your core to keep from wobbling all over the place.
- Keep your back up straight as if you're sitting with your back firmly against a wall
- Focus straight ahead of you
- Keep your feet flat on the floor at all times
- The weights should remain light until you find it is easy to do this without the ball moving beneath you

Variations:
- Lift your arms directly out to the side until they are parallel to the ground
- Swing your arms front to back, opposite of one another (i.e. left arm goes forward as right arm goes back) - the same sort of motion as when you're walking
 
Hey Vince, good to see you back to dancing. Sometimes we just need a break. I'm sort of in a funk myself. We go dancing a few times a week, but many times I just don't feel like going and I sent hubby off alone. I miss my old friends and all the old places that we danced in Calif. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the dance scene here in AZ. Anyway, I read that your going to Carefree? If so, we'll see you there! (ps. I need to get back to the gym myself. I quit going after I got my new job and I have to find time to get back into it again).
 

Vince A

Active Member
dancergal said:
Hey Vince, good to see you back to dancing. Sometimes we just need a break. I'm sort of in a funk myself. We go dancing a few times a week, but many times I just don't feel like going and I sent hubby off alone. I miss my old friends and all the old places that we danced in Calif. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the dance scene here in AZ. Anyway, I read that your going to Carefree? If so, we'll see you there! (ps. I need to get back to the gym myself. I quit going after I got my new job and I have to find time to get back into it again).
Nice to hear from you . . . haven't seen you since, um, uh . . . Arizona!

Yep, we'll be at Carefree next month . . . save me a dance or two or???

How's the weather? Getting used to it? It's only a 105 here!

See ya soon . . . say "hello" to W . . . .
 

Dance Ads