If follow doesn't stay on beat.

I have danced with leads where we fell off beat and some either:
1. speed up the next step to catch up and get back on beat
2. skip a step to catch up

I'm at ease with speeding up to get back on beat but when they skip a step or three, I often times get confused and one time even tripped up lol

I have danced with leads where we fell off beat and some either:
1. speed up the next step to catch up and get back on beat
2. skip a step to catch up

I'm at ease with speeding up to get back on beat but when they skip a step or three, I often times get confused and one time even tripped up lol
If you fall off beat as a couple it's the leaders responsibility to lead back to the beat. One technique is a hesitation step (aka skip a beat or three). Keep in mind it has to be led, no follow is going to know you are returning to the dominant down beat "here" without a lead in advance.

Jag75

(This is a spin-off question off of http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/is-staying-on-beat-important.47352/)

Have to mention that I've been only dancing for couple of months, so I stay within my league.

I just started dancing socially (i.e. outside of the group class setting where instructor counts, and outside of private classes where the instructor knows how to dance) and I found that women I dance with a ignorant-incompetent about beat and phrase.

I've been having hard time figuring out the beat on the floor while I have no problems doing it off the floor, until I realized that I was assuming that my partners know what they are doing and was trying to find the beat they were dancing to.

Once I realized that - things got a little better on one hand - now I can dance on beat. Which puts me off sync with my partner.

Hence this question. Am I doing it wrong? Should I try to force the follow on beat? or dance to different rhythms? or succumb to her rhythm?
Q - how do you know your partner is off beat? Salsa is complex and you may think you're dancing on the 1, but dancing to something else.

Also - how across are you on on1 vs on2?

vit

A hesitation most often is led with a slight body rise and being careful to give no indication of a weight change.
Body rise isn't something commonly used in salsa, at least not among people that call themselves salseros; salsa taught together with other ballroom dances is of course a different story, howerver most people that learned salsa in ballroom studios don't go beyond very basic salsa dancing, that indeed consists of a few figures. I mean nothing wrong with that either, just I want to point out that many things are different depending where you actually dance

Ballroom salsa teaching video

Club salsa in NY

Last edited:
Body rise isn't something commonly used in salsa, at least not among people that call themselves salseros; salsa taught together with other ballroom dances is of course a different story, howerver most people that learned salsa in ballroom studios don't go beyond very basic salsa dancing, that indeed consists of a few figures. I mean nothing wrong with that either, just I want to point out that many things are different depending where you actually dance

Club salsa in NY

I was not specifically talking about Salsa when I mentioned body rise, just hesitation steps in general.

For Salsa specifically, there's a hesitation in every basic, so should be 2nd nature to any Salsa dancer.
1 2 3 Hold 5 6 7 Hold
Find yourself off time milk one of the Holds until you're back.

vit

In salsa nobody calls that hesitation or hold, and nobody stops moving either, it's just that you do a step lasting two beats ...

In salsa nobody calls that hesitation or hold, and nobody stops moving either, it's just that you do a step lasting two beats ...
Symantics, hold, hesitation, slow, 2 beats, whatever, milk it for whatever additional beats is needed and you're back on time.

tangotime

For Salsa specifically, there's a hesitation in every basic, so should be 2nd nature to any Salsa dancer.
1 2 3 Hold 5 6 7 Hold

That, is the very thing one should NOT do in salsa. The QQ "hold".

I would concede, at the very beginning of learning the foundation steps, there may be a slight pause, but, the objective for anyone who wishes to pursue the "dance" to the next level, then " blending "the Fwd and Back basic to create smoothness, is what distinguishes the great dancers from the average .

This is not to say that, it will immediately cure timing problems , but will put them on a better pathway for how to "use " the music , and maximise ,the 4 beats in the bar .

vit

Yes. It's not just about semantics, so in a way hold, hesitation, slow, 2 beats are all the same, but different words ring different bells in heads of the people. So it's not the same.

I would concede, at the very beginning of learning the foundation steps, there may be a slight pause, but, the objective for anyone who wishes to pursue the "dance" to the next level, then " blending "the Fwd and Back basic to create smoothness, is what distinguishes the great dancers from the average .

This is not to say that, it will immediately cure timing problems , but will put them on a better pathway for how to "use " the music , and maximise ,the 4 beats in the bar .
Yes, I agree. In any Dance you should be working toward smoothness and fluidity. In foxtrot the slow sould smoothly blend with quicks, the 1,2,3 in Waltz should be invisible to a observer. I was merely speaking of a trick or technique if you prefer, that if you find yourself stepping your 1 step on the 3 count a way to find your way back to taking the 1 step on the 1 count.

tangotime

I was merely speaking of a trick or technique if you prefer, that if you find yourself stepping your 1 step on the 3 count a way to find your way back to taking the 1 step on the 1 count.
A simpler way, is to do a Rock step, which is more in keeping with foundational movements, of which this one is key..

tangotime

]
On the very 1st step, there are3 very common faults ( and this is with Prof's (?.. !! ).

# 1.. That is NOT an Open break, its a Separation break

#2.. the guy seems to step "under" his forward break step., no sign of body moves, foot catches principle .

#3,..The back breaks , would do justice to F/trot !!.

Didn't watch any more, it makes my eyes bleed :(

Dance Ads