Injury Support Group

skwiggy

Isn't it funny how we think? Sometimes I don't want to go to the doctor because he just *can't* tell me I need to stop dancing. Aint gonna happen. I always ask for Plan B, which is now pt.

So, lesson here...tape it and it will go away. Gotta get me some tape!
Yup. Exactly why I waited until after USA Dance Nationals to go to the doctor for my knee. And rest is exactly what he prescribed. I'm glad I waited. :)

Although I feel certain that I would have healed a lot quicker had I rested earlier. But nothing was gonna keep me from dancing in that competition after all of our hard work leading up to it.

Vince A

You all sound just like my wife . . . "quit dancing??? No way!"

Back in March, she fell and landed on her knee, bruising her patella. Her pt said to stay off of it for 6 months to a year . . . you know what her answer was, yes?

His response was, "I can't physically do that!"

Anyway . . . she went through pt everyday, and I learned to wrap and support that knee with . . . yes, the Kinesio tape . . . and other wraps, so she could dance, or at least walk through the routines with her Pro. She did take about a month off to rest the knee. She still wears a knee brace, and although she took a "first overall" in a comp earlier this month, the judges noted her "as not dancing to her usual full potential and favoring her left knee."

She'll probably be in that brace for another year . . . and she would rather dance now and limp later in life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LXC

wow, i have been thinking of opening up this exact thread for several days! i didn't do it because i was afraid it'd become my whining thread because that's how i've been feeling the last couple of days.

i'm having knee problems since usa dance national. since then i have stopped dance lessons and practices and stayed with mat exercises. last week my knees were feeling better and i was hopeful that we could get back to serious dancing again. then on saturday i took a body-scultping class, the first class involving leg work standing up, and later in the day we danced for about 30 minutes. the next day, i found my knee situation worsened:(

i'm not really sure which activity did the damage, those walking exercises or dancing. i didn't feel any sharp pain or severe discomfort in any of those. but apparently, it's still too much for the injured knees.

latingal

I had a foot problem where there was pain when I flexed the toes--problematic when rising in ballroom. So of course, instead of going to a doctor who would just tell me to stop dancing for x long, I just taped it up with athletic tape when I danced, and it helped reduce the pain by keeping everything in place where it belonged. The problem is gone now[...]
Hey Joe....you're one of the fortunate ones. I thought I could pad and tape the foot/area and it would heal on it's own. However, the problem just hung around.

I neglected seeing the doctor for months (afraid that I'd have to stop dancing) and now I am paying the piper...I might have done some permanent damage to the area and it may never be "normal" again.

I'm glad though that your injury responded!

latingal

my husand's pt gave him the tapes too but he did not find it helpful at all. he preferes using the brace.
Hi LXC!

I have heard that wearing a brace after an injury has healed weakens the area (I suppose by making it dependent upon the support of the brace rather than the musculature around it), but I am certainly not a medical expert!

For me, the Kinesio tape gives a lighter support and allows the muscles to work and strengthen.

Of course that might not be true with an injury that has not healed enough or an area that has become structurally inefficient...

I wonder if we have a doctor in the house?

skwiggy

I have heard that wearing a brace after an injury has healed weakens the area (I suppose by making it dependent upon the support of the brace rather than the musculature around it), but I am certainly not a medical expert!
I'm no expert either, but from my anecdotal experience this is certainly true.

mamboqueen

Hi LXC!

I wonder if we have a doctor in the house?
If they're smart, they won't say so :raisebro:

I'm just completely aching in the back from yesterday's lessons. I think having my pt scheduled right before a lesson and then the next day is probably my key to survival....oy!

latingal

Hang in there MQ....betcha' you got loads of exercises from your PT too....*grin* from one over exercised dancer to another, pass the bengay (tigerbalm, biofreeze, arnica, heat and ice packs, and whatever else you can find)....

LXC

thanks for your concern! i'm a little worried about dependence too. fortunately or unfortunately, the recent diagnosis of his cartliage damage has made it clear to him that he cannot ignor the pt any more. we're using the time used for dancing before to work out and strengthen the leg muscles. hopefully in 6-12 months or however long it takes, he'll be strong enough to dance without braces.

we started dancing as a hobby. it's done some damage to our bodies but we are more active than ever before and now we're committed to total body conditioning to be healthy and to dance better. it's all good...

latingal

Good luck to you both LXC, it's great you've put your strengthening exercises on a schedule - hopefully it will help!

As for the benefits of dancing vs. the damages, yeah - have to say I'm still better off dancing then not!

Basically, I'm having back, shoulder, occasional neck and hip pain. The pt's are working on my core muscles, my glutes, the muscles between my shoulder blades and my hamstrings (that was a special request so I can catch up to Kat's flexibility ;)). They also crack my spine (which is seemingly less of an adjustment each time I go).
Ok. Seriously I might be late when it comes to this thread, but some of you might know that I had muscle spasms in my back, neck, and shoulder area and was completely out for the whole week. I finally was able to go to the doctor's, and they put me on medicine directed for muscle spasms. (It even says muscle spasms on the bottle lol). I have another medicine that I have to take with it though that's more like a strong aspirin. So, please I used to believe that you couldn't do anything for back pain, but please go talk to a doctor! You can do something about it, and it will go away like it did with me this week! I don't want anyone to suffer like I did. If you want to know what I'm taking, I don't mind telling you. One is Skelaxin and the other is Naproxen. If you need something stronger, then there is something stronger out there. They really do work! Ask your doctor if you want! ;)

latingal

Hey SPratt, good to hear your back pain has diminished or disappeared....that's the good thing about an injury support group thread, you get to hear the success stories too!

Hey SPratt, good to hear your back pain has diminished or disappeared....that's the good thing about an injury support group thread, you get to hear the success stories too!
Thank you so much! You know that I so missed everyone at my studio to when I couldn't dance! One of the guys gave me a kiss on the cheek after our performance even lol (to bad he's gay darn it lol). And the others all came up to hug me lol. I was like, maybe I should be gone more often lol! But yeah, I had to go to the doctor's. I was worried I did something really bad to my system. Oh and to top that off, I got asked to help teach a class of high school students on the day that I was able to return, and I'm expected to help teach it in the future, and I'm hoping that he'll like what I'm doing, and that maybe I can start teaching in the future. I won't be ready for another year with all of the stuff you have to prepare for when you teach, but oh it's so fun doing this class, because I also look at it as more practice time! :p

LXC

this is probably no news to anyone, but yoga and pilates really help getting rid of minor back pain. i used to have back pains, sometimes lower back, sometimes upper in between the shoulders. but after 6 months of yoga and pilates, i hardly have any problems with my back, even during periods.

this is probably no news to anyone, but yoga and pilates really help getting rid of minor back pain. i used to have back pains, sometimes lower back, sometimes upper in between the shoulders. but after 6 months of yoga and pilates, i hardly have any problems with my back, even during periods.

Oh I so agree that any stretching is good! But if the problem persists, then you should go and see a doctor ASAP! ;)

cornutt

SPratt, if you don't mind me asking, did they ever figure out what caused that? You might have said in another thraed, but I can't find it...

mamboqueen

My pt told me that they get *many* yoga-related injuries in their office. Some people jump in too fast and try to do advanced poses with the improper technique (ack -- the evil "t" word!). It can be very beneficial if you know what you're doing ;)

mamboqueen

Ok. Seriously I might be late when it comes to this thread, but some of you might know that I had muscle spasms in my back, neck, and shoulder area and was completely out for the whole week. I finally was able to go to the doctor's, and they put me on medicine directed for muscle spasms. (It even says muscle spasms on the bottle lol). I have another medicine that I have to take with it though that's more like a strong aspirin. So, please I used to believe that you couldn't do anything for back pain, but please go talk to a doctor! You can do something about it, and it will go away like it did with me this week! I don't want anyone to suffer like I did. If you want to know what I'm taking, I don't mind telling you. One is Skelaxin and the other is Naproxen. If you need something stronger, then there is something stronger out there. They really do work! Ask your doctor if you want! ;)
See, for me these just mask the pain and I'll end up doing further damage because I don't feel the pain. I am generally not big on taking medicines for anything. Advil is about it. I'm going through pt right now, and I think that the answer for me is to build up the weaker muscles in my tummy and behind the shoulder blades and my back won't be doing too much work.

SPratt, if you don't mind me asking, did they ever figure out what caused that? You might have said in another thraed, but I can't find it...
You can ask me anything! I hurt myself by lifting to many boxes at work. Yes, I lifted them the right way, but I lifted more than I should have. I usually don't lift boxes, because I'm a computer person. So, my back just wasn't used to that yet lol! I was afraid I really did something, because of that though. But no... it was definitely the lifting.

Oh one thing I should say is that this medicine really does a number on your system. You feel great when you take the stuff, but you feel like you are sick when you wake up in the morning. But you still feel a 100% better! Just don't forget about the after affects is all lol. ;)

Dance Ads