Injury Support Group

See, for me these just mask the pain and I'll end up doing further damage because I don't feel the pain. I am generally not big on taking medicines for anything. Advil is about it. I'm going through pt right now, and I think that the answer for me is to build up the weaker muscles in my tummy and behind the shoulder blades and my back won't be doing too much work.
See, that's what I had thought too. I even blamed my headache medicine for my pain, because I thought that you know since I take that stuff that it prevented me from realizing my pain, but that wasn't the case at all I had found out. Now, I have to take this stuff all week, so I'm afraid to drive anywhere etc. lol (even though I did dance, but the doctor said I could). But really this type of medicine I could have just taken the first night and have it be done, but I like following the doctors orders lol. (I'm keeping what I don't use up this week for later lol.) ;)

Laura

I know I'm not alone here. What's broken and needs fixin'? And what are you doing to get it fixed?
My left ankle has been fubared for a while. It all started when I was in college, I was running across the street in front of Penn Station in New York and tripped on a manhole cover. The street had been repaved, raising the level of the street surface, so the cover was recessed and I stumbled in it and rolled my ankle, tearing a couple of ligaments. It took over a year to heal completely, and I ended up with a good deal of scar tissue in there.

I re-injured it mildly once or twice speed-walking or running for fitness, but it was mostly fine until a couple of Januarys ago when I was in China with a friend. It was her birthday and there was a big raucous party, and I drank WAY too much baijiu (white sorghum whiskey I think), and fell down the kitchen steps (just three of them). I really re-injured the ankle badly. I would walk fine on it, but dancing was tricky for quite some time. I re-rolled it again in a competition, it was quite dramatic as I nearly collapsed at Tony Meredith's feet while he was judging!

Anyway, it's been mostly okay. Every so often something gives in it, I suspect it's scar tissue ripping and re-forming. I get physical therapy in the form of Feldenkrais treatments, and when I'm tired or the ankle is feeling wonky I wear an Ace elastic ankle bandage on it. I've been re-training how I use the foot because I've tended to pronate out in the bad direction anyway, and have been doing a lot of strengthening exercises in Pilates to build muscle support all around the joint.

Another thing I did was give up wearing heels higher than 2", for dancing or for general wear. However, my teacher is really really tall, and we all agree that I feel better and look better with 2 1/2" heels. I recently bought a pair and am going to start dancing in them a few minutes at a time to see how things go, slowly building up to dancing in them all the time. We'll see how it goes....

Two things that have helped me with foot and back problems:

A podiatrist. Worth seeing for knee and hip problems that don't seem to be getting better, because bad foot mechanics can "trickle up" and stress other parts of your body.

Feldenkreis. I love this! It's a kind of movement therapy, either done in a class or in private sessions, designed to remove muscular habits that are causing pain or dysfunction. It's very gentle, so can be usually be done even with an injury. But it works amazingly well.

mamboqueen

seriously, 5 lbs. off of me and people are starting to call the anorexia hotline. I have actually had to cut back on my cardio because I'm burning more calories than I need to. Yeah, shut up and stop complaining....I know...but when you get to be my age, thin doesn't look the same as it did 20 years ago!

LXC

My pt told me that they get *many* yoga-related injuries in their office. Some people jump in too fast and try to do advanced poses with the improper technique (ack -- the evil "t" word!). It can be very beneficial if you know what you're doing ;)
one of my yoga teachers said so too and i can certainly see that happening. instructors make a huge difference here. some of them are very careful in giving options and emphasizing correct and safe form rather than the perfect picture, some just flow through poses without much instruction even though it's a lower level or all level class.

it really helps to find a yoga teacher that's also a pt or knows a lot about therapeutic practice. it seems like they're not hard to find.

LXC

See, for me these just mask the pain and I'll end up doing further damage because I don't feel the pain. I am generally not big on taking medicines for anything.
me too. i didn't take anything for the knee until this week. but after the relapse, i'm now taking advil. i guess there's no way to tell if it's really getting better or just masked by the medicine until i stop taking it.

LXC

I had to go light on the pt last night as they did not want to overdo it on my back. I did lie down on this foam 1/2 cylinder "thing" and it was really great...it opens up the ribs and chest. I thought it was going to be uncomfortable, but I really think it helped. Going to buy one at some point...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRM-DENSITY-Foam-Roller-Full-Cylinder-New_W0QQitemZ7249489662QQcmdZViewItem
one of the pilate instructors use this in her class. it's great because you can really feel the lower back.

you can also use it to massage your spine and legs, probably other parts too.

Ok. I'm sort of frustrated. I have to take my medicine at least for this week, and it makes you drowsy etc., and I was called into work, and I said I can't do it. I said this medicine is making me feel lousy etc. I just now tried taking a shower, and I was sorry I even did that. That's the only bad thing about medicine is the after affects lol. But with this stuff, you aren't supposed to drive etc. I'm not sure why because I'm probably the most relaxed person on the highway lol, but maybe they make you to relaxed? Does anyone know why that is? I hope that they aren't mad at me, and that they think I'm faking. Good thing that I have a doctor's note! And they should be thankful for I didn't drag them through workmans comp. even though they said I could have. But I have to be honest with them. I don't want to go to work and fall asleep or something, because in a way that's what this medicine is like. ;)

and123

heeee.... :p SPratt has "medicine head". Yeah, I guess those warnings are listed for a reason. Be careful :shock: Years ago I did a dance performance on a tiny dose of Vicodin after injuring a rib, and boy was I loopy....

I start PT next Friday. Haven't had any work done on me (massage or chiropractic) for a few weeks now, and I have to say my shoulder hurts a lot more than it did before, so maybe those treatments actually were accomplishing something.

Blah.

heeee.... :p SPratt has "medicine head". Yeah, I guess those warnings are listed for a reason. Be careful :shock: Years ago I did a dance performance on a tiny dose of Vicodin after injuring a rib, and boy was I loopy....

I start PT next Friday. Haven't had any work done on me (massage or chiropractic) for a few weeks now, and I have to say my shoulder hurts a lot more than it did before, so maybe those treatments actually were accomplishing something.

Blah.
Haha... my sister has been calling me a druggie this past week lol. I was pretty loopy earlier this week, but the medicine did something good for me, I was able to get rid of my one instructor for a more advanced one! I don't think that I could have done this prior lol. But yeah I felt pretty loopy during my lessons this week. I don't know if loopy is the word though, but maybe extremely tired would be more appropriate? It's like no matter how good you feel, you want to sleep. And maybe the driving thing is because you aren't as alert as you are without the stuff? Either way, I'm going to stop taking this stuff this weekend, so I can work next week! I figure that a couple days off the meds will tell me if I'm ready to work again. ;)

mamboqueen

Blah.
Welcome (back) to the club :shock:

i had a rotten tooth pulled this morning so i am on the injured reserve, but blessed with scripts for valium *and* vicodin. i can't wait for my lesson this evening :)

I don't have an injury but, I have foot problems in that the balls of my feet get to hurting when I'm on them for too long (which is a much shorter time than for most people). A few years ago, I went to the doctor and had x-rays done. Thankfully, all that was found was inflammation and that's when I discovered Epsom salts. :)

Now, I make sure I have comfortable shoes (my favorites are Birkenstocks but, they are not the best for dancing), ice them or soak them in Epsom Salts when they get to hurting, and get a pedicure about every 4 weeks.

For dance lessons, I found that Freed practice shoes (Roma in wide) are the most comfortable shoes with heels. When things are bad, I switch to flat dance sneakers or my flat swing shoes. Also, I usually only can handle one dance lesson at a time so, I take lessons 4-5 days a week.

For showcases, I can handle uncomfortable shoes (if needed for the costume) for the short amount of time I need to wear them.

That's my story.

Paula

See, for me these just mask the pain and I'll end up doing further damage because I don't feel the pain. I am generally not big on taking medicines for anything. Advil is about it. I'm going through pt right now, and I think that the answer for me is to build up the weaker muscles in my tummy and behind the shoulder blades and my back won't be doing too much work.

But things like ibuprofen are also anti-inflammatories, so they can actually help with healing by keeping the swelling and irritation of the muscle down. When I had a foot injury, as it was healing, I always took ibuprofen before I danced. What I found was that, if I took it, I had no pain afterward. But if I didn't take it, my foot would hurt the next day. That can't be the med masking the pain, because it would have worn off by the next day. I think it was actually keeping the injury from being irritated by the dancing.

But things like ibuprofen are also anti-inflammatories, so they can actually help with healing by keeping the swelling and irritation of the muscle down. When I had a foot injury, as it was healing, I always took ibuprofen before I danced. What I found was that, if I took it, I had no pain afterward. But if I didn't take it, my foot would hurt the next day. That can't be the med masking the pain, because it would have worn off by the next day. I think it was actually keeping the injury from being irritated by the dancing.
Yes, that is exactly what my medicine does for me. I should have explained it like that, but I didn't think of it at the time. Sorry! ;)

Dance Ads