Injury Support Group

Laura

I agree about the anti-inflammatories. My Feldenkrais practitioner is a big fan of Ibuprofen and whenever I complain about my ankle the first thing she asks is if I've iced it and taken Ibuprofen. The anti-inflammatories keep the swelling down, even small swelling that can repeatedly create micro-tears that over time can possibly build up to pemanent damage.

I agree about the anti-inflammatories. My Feldenkrais practitioner is a big fan of Ibuprofen and whenever I complain about my ankle the first thing she asks is if I've iced it and taken Ibuprofen. The anti-inflammatories keep the swelling down, even small swelling that can repeatedly create micro-tears that over time can possibly build up to pemanent damage.
Yeah they said that for me they couldn't take any x-rays or anything like that until the swelling went down. I might not need the x-rays after all, but she said I still had to take the meds.

skwiggy

I used to pop Ibuprofen/Advil and Naproxen/Aleve like candy. But after taking so much, I seem to have torn up my stomach lining, and now I can't take it at all. Even just 2 Advil makes me quite ill. :(

I can take Celebrex without getting sick, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it makes me gain a ton of weight.

So mostly I rely on ice and faith to keep the swelling down.

Some people's stomachs are more sensitive to ani-inflamms, but even if they don't give you problems, I think it's always a good idea to eat a little something when you take them.

skwiggy

Some people's stomachs are more sensitive to ani-inflamms, but even if they don't give you problems, I think it's always a good idea to eat a little something when you take them.
I couldn't agree more. If I had been more diligent about taking them with food, I would probably still be able to take them. I never thought about it, because they never bothered me before. So I highly recommend that even if they don't bother your stomach, you take them with food so they will continue to not bother your stomach.

mamboqueen

I used to pop Ibuprofen/Advil and Naproxen/Aleve like candy. But after taking so much, I seem to have torn up my stomach lining, and now I can't take it at all. Even just 2 Advil makes me quite ill. :(

I can take Celebrex without getting sick, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it makes me gain a ton of weight.

So mostly I rely on ice and faith to keep the swelling down.
Ever try anything like meditation? Honestly, sometimes when I'm not feeling particularly well (usually at *ahem* that time), if I am sitting relaxed somewhere (don't laugh) at one with nature, I feel much better. I just try to focus on something other than the pain.

skwiggy

Ever try anything like meditation? Honestly, sometimes when I'm not feeling particularly well (usually at *ahem* that time), if I am sitting relaxed somewhere (don't laugh) at one with nature, I feel much better. I just try to focus on something other than the pain.
Worth a shot. Next time I'm in pain and can't take pills, maybe I'll try that. :)

Overall, I'm in WAY less pain than I used to be. I just need to keep being very diligent about strength training and stretching, and I usually do ok. If I get complacent for just one day though, I'm toast. Which reminds me, I'm WAY overdue for a professional massage. :)

Laura

Yeah, I'm all for Ibuprofen...but I can't take more than 6 a day or my stomach gives me grief. That's about all I'll take.
The suggested dose for me was one before dancing, and one after, and that's it. Much easier on the stomach. Be careful with this stuff you all.

skwiggy

Haha! It's actually what most doctor's recommend before they give you anything!
I've been to a lot of orthopedics, and none has ever recommended such a high dose. The most that has ever been recommended to me is 4 advil OR 2 aleve. Are you sure the doctor didn't say "OR", not "AND"?

skwiggy

The suggested dose for me was one before dancing, and one after, and that's it. Much easier on the stomach. Be careful with this stuff you all.
Ah yes, that's the other thing. It was suggested to me that if you know the activity is going to cause inflammation and you know you're going to take the advil anyway, take it BEFORE the activity. An ounce of prevention...

I've been to a lot of orthopedics, and none has ever recommended such a high dose. The most that has ever been recommended to me is 4 advil OR 2 aleve. Are you sure the doctor didn't say "OR", not "AND"?
Nope. You can take them together. Now, I haven't done it, but I know you can take them together. The most I've ever done is 2 Aleve. I don't like Ibuprofen. It just doesn't set well with me. ;)

mamboqueen

Hmm...I wasn't sure if it was that effective in small doses, spaced out like that, but maybe it's worth a try. Thanks. And I owe you a pm. Just haven't had time for the little novel.

Laura

Yeah, that's the thing -- the Feldenkrais person was always telling me to take ibuprofren, and I gave her the "masking of pain/don't want to rely on drugs" speech, and she said the low dose would be enough in my case to help keep the inflammation down to head off possible damage, but woudln't deaden me to the warning signals that pain brings.

Dance Ads