Inspirational Dance Book

Has dancing changed your life?..... I am interested in compiling stories about how inspirational and life changing dancing (of any kinds) can be. But I need your stories and information to help me. Sort of like a Chicken Soup for Dancers book. I don't believe one already exists, let me know if it does. Share your stories with me here!

Below is a rough draft of my own inspirational story:

From Wallflower to Dancing Queen

Like many girls between the ages of 3-16, I took tap, ballet and jazz lessons from a local dance studio from the ages of 3-12. Unfortunately, even though I loved to dance, after a falling out with my teacher I decided to stop taking lessons. At about age 8 or 9, I started developing and gaining weight, even though I went to dance class twice a week. After stopping dancing, I never found any other form of exercise that interested me, so I ended up continuously gaining weight with no way of losing it. Between my weight issues and being shy, I spent most of my school years being a wallflower. I didn’t have many friends, was very uncomfortable among the opposite sex, and never had a boyfriend or went on dates.

After a tumultuous Internet relationship, I was ready for a change in my life. With the debut of Dancing With the Stars, ballroom dancing started to enter my mind. After seeing a commercial for a local Arthur Murray dance studio and finding out that a fellow male classmate was a teacher there I decided to take a chance and check it out. Even after just one lesson, I was hooked. I took lessons almost twice a week, went to as many group classes as I could fit into my schedule and every Friday night you could find me dancing the night away at the studio. Not only was I getting asked to dance by the male teachers and fellow male students, I wanted to dance so much that I began asking them to dance with me. With time I became more comfortable around the opposite sex both on and off the dance floor and even went on a few dates. I started to feel good about myself and the way I danced, I also ended up losing some weight. I entered a few competitions and while I did not do great, they were fun and helped me advance in my dancing.

After six years of being a student, I decided that I wanted more from my dancing career. Since there were no openings at the studio where I took lessons, I decided to take matters into my own hand. With the help of my family I started my very own dance studio near my home to share my love and passion for ballroom dancing with the local area. It is such a wonderful feeling to watch my students learn new steps and lessons about life, especially when they have an “a-ha” moment. I feel life I have finally found my passion and purpose in life and look forward to the future and the opportunities to inspire others through dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really wanting to compile these into a book? You should maybe think of a standardized form/word count for people to use. I think it would be great to read everyone's story, but I'm not even sure where to start with mine.

Dance Ads