Is anyone out there still doing CW Circle Mixer dances?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
If you dance Argentine Tango, people almost expect that you will go to Buenos Aires. But I've never heard anyone here in the US say that you have to go to Texas if you do "Texas Two Step".
When I did go to Texas once, it seemed like all the people who knew how to dance more than basic stuff were from somewhere else, including Europe. But, maybe it was just where I was.
I know that in the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and other National Parks there seems to be many people from over seas.

Texas two step

Do the Texan dance the "Texas Two Step"? Our teacher (here in France) taught us this dance, but I don't really like it.

How about the Argentine Tango, is it an "americanised" version of the Tango?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
There are several to many versions of "Texas Two Step", and some of them are known simply as "Two Step". In one form or another, it's pretty widespread at country western places here in the US (or so I understand since I haven't been everywhere). Sorry it didn't appeal to you.

Agrentine Tango is a pretty complex topic. Some would argue that both the US and Europe have AT that is different enough, both in the dance itself, and all the culture that surrounds it, that they ARE Americanized of .... er ... Europeanized?

Have no idea if there are videos of any of this. Can't find any on YouTube. Sorry. I will also ask our instructor where her 'wheel' mixer comes from. Here are more detailed descriptions that might help: In the "wheel" mixer, ... In our "waterfall" mixer, ...
Thanks, old dog, for taking the time to type out more details for us. We have a much better idea of the "spokes" and the "waterfall" effect.

VERY INTERESTING :kitty: as we have not run into these particular dance formations ourselves anywhere (so far). We will be trying to work these out on the floor in the future.

Thanks a bunch!! :kissme:

Thanks, old dog, for taking the time to type out more details for us. We have a much better idea of the "spokes" and the "waterfall" effect.

VERY INTERESTING :kitty: as we have not run into these particular dance formations ourselves anywhere (so far). We will be trying to work these out on the floor in the future.

Thanks a bunch!! :kissme:
You are more than welcome, TOBs.

One small but important detail I left out (which may be obvious): When doing the 'wheel' formation mixer, all the couples must be dancing exactly the same patterns at the same time; otherwise the whole formation soon falls apart. This also allows someone to "call" the patterns which helps the inexperienced to know what figures are coming next.

In contrast, doing a 'waterfall' mixer allows every couple to dance whatever figures they wish as long as they generally progress along the designated route across the floor. A few leaders may take detours or use 'holding patterns' but this is discouraged as it may impede traffic and/or be perceived as monopolizing a desirable partner.

Best of luck in your 'mixer quest.' Let us know from time to time how things are progressing.

Amazing

I didn't know there were several versions of the "Texas Two Step". Still have a lot to learn. I feel terrible, I shouldn't have told you I don't like that dance... However, I prefer dances where there are a lot of steps. It's good for the brain and good exercice.

I've never done any Tango, but it's fun to watch.

There is an email that has been going around for a while now that is absolutely precious. Your post reminded me of it. Only it's not "dancers"....it's tractors ! Real farm tractors square dancing. It's on U-tube, so those of you that want a real treat, just key in "tractors square dancing". It's neat ! Enjoy...........JingleBoots

There is an email that has been going around for a while now that is absolutely precious. Your post reminded me of it. Only it's not "dancers"....it's tractors ! Real farm tractors square dancing. It's on U-tube, so those of you that want a real treat, just key in "tractors square dancing". It's neat ! Enjoy...........JingleBoots
Love it! Thanks for sharing! :D

Wondering if the organizer for our monthly local dances been reading this thread?

Last dance, she had everybody get on the floor for a circle dance mixer. Apparently this was the first time in quite a while. Reports she got lots of positive comments, so I expect she'll make it a regular thing.

Dance Ads