Is this salsa?

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to be accurate it is (competitive) ballroom style cha cha, but to a far slower tempo than you'd ever get (or is even allowed) in competition.

Angel HI

Well, to be accurate it is (competitive) ballroom style cha cha, but to a far slower tempo than you'd ever get (or is even allowed) in competition.
And, it is because of this (see blue), that I would classify it as DanceSport Cha Cha. DS tends to be more free, whereas comp style, except for showcase, should adhere more to BR standards.

Oh, sorry Claws...BR = ballroom; DS = dancesport. And, Welcome to the DF. Thanks for your post.

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
That confuses me Angel, as "dancesport" is the term coined specifically to reference competitive ballroom and differentiate it from social (i.e. non-competitive) ballroom.

Angel HI

That confuses me Angel, as "dancesport" is the term coined specifically to reference competitive ballroom and differentiate it from social (i.e. non-competitive) ballroom.
Hmm...perhaps, it's another one of those regional/school/genre/hemisphere thingys. The term DS became popular, I believe, around the '98 Atlanta olympics. There were many meetings between the councils, etc. about it, and it was named not to differentiate between competive and non-competitve dance, but to differentiate between syllabi driven "ballroom" style of dance and a more opened or non-syllabi restricted style. This was influenced also, in part, by the changes that were going on in the USSR, and the influx of dancers with names that we couldn't pronounce who didn't know the amer. syllabi but were becoming more and more an intregal part of the studios, comps, etc.

On a personal note, this is one of the reasons why I dislike DS. B/c, IMO, albeit that it created a much needed expansion and broadening of BR, it is a huge part of what is wrong with BR. DS, again, just from personal observation and feeling, allowed many non/undertrained (by amer standards) dancers to enter BR comps. The inclusion of jazz, ballet, and other techniques brought much excitement to the art/sport of BR, which was suffocating under its own stagnation, but it also allowed acceptance for a lack of traditionally, well trained "BR" dancers.

The result is much of what we see today at comps; a complete redefinition of some dances, and dances that resemble nothing of the original. At a watching of one of the OS Balls (Amer Ballroom Challenge, now), we jestfully turned off the sound, and played different music to each dance (cha for samba, rumba for cha, etc), and the music fitted the dances/ers perfectly. This should not be, regardless of the fact that, yes, things change.

Oh dear... :confused: Je suis désolé....I am so sorry for the rant. :confused:

*sneaking out w/ tail between legs*

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
No problem as far as having heard/learned it differently, but based on my research the term dancesport was coined specifically to differentiate competitive form social ballroom as part of the IDSF's efforts towards Olympic recognition. (Although I certainly accept [and even expect] that the term would be used in different ways in different places by different people.)

tangotime

I want to know if its a salsa performance or dance of some other style.
What ever it is, their steps, rythm, movements are graceful. I love it !!!

Please comment.

They are dancing variations from what is known to the average public as cha cha. In reality, the music they are using, has absolutely nothing to do with the poly rhythms of Cuban style music .

You have posted on SF asking about salsa.. that is your guide to what the " latino " genre is about... the music ! .
It requires specific instruments within a band ,to create a specific sound that can be identified as indigenous afro/cuban rhythm. " Pop " music is devoid of that crucial element .

Syncopating a bar ( as in 4 and 1 ), does NOT transform the music in to another genre .

The reason Show music is invariably used, on many occasions ,is to enable the general public to recognise more every day type music.

Angel HI

No problem as far as having heard/learned it differently, but based on my research the term dancesport was coined specifically to differentiate competitive form social ballroom as part of the IDSF's efforts towards Olympic recognition.
You are correct in this, and actually, with that, we are saying the same things. In efforts to make BR more of a sport [for the olympics] than an art, all of the things that I posted before were allowed/changed, and DS was coined...yes, ultimately to achieve that which you mentioned.

Dance Ads