It's Friday ... Are You Going Dancing?

samina

checked out a very local club with an allegedly well-attended "latin night". something like 700 people attend every friday. alas... it was just an over-crowded ear-splitting meat market with latin music.

the "free salsa lesson" beforehand had the instructor screaming over the non-latin club music -- that's a first. and i forgot that people can smoke in clubs in florida. that was also a first... never had to navigate a mix of dancing & smoking before, that i can remember. as JA says... TDNWMH.

there was the very wee-est bit of salsa, but mostly it was reggaetaon & bachata... with the former, i've never seen so many women on a dance floor putting the stank on their groove quite.that.way... oof. i don't know what to call that style of dancing, but whatever it is, i'm missing the code in my DNA that finds it remotely attractive. the crowd, however, was of a different mind.:rolleyes:

and the bachata... well, whereas it is usually a rather pre-coital dance in the clubs, this was, well... just "coital".:cool:

things i learned: i'm in "wear your long hair down, wildebeest be damned" country. and despite my body-hugging, low-cut attire, i was *way* over-clothed. i would have fit in better with a fringed, rhinestoned handkerchief top and 5" stilleto platforms, lolz.

i met some nice people and made plans to take them somewhere more dancer-y another time, but i left early... before my lungs could absorb a second pack of cigs.:shock:

Phil Owl

An enjoyable Friday night social, my opening dance was a Rumba with this woman who was just blowaway amazing, passionate, sensual and she definitely had that twirl skirt thing going to boot! :mrgreen:

kckc

Went to my social outlet last night. The local Dance Meetup group had a ton of people there. It is a very active group but very much beginners, so the more advanced people had to work overtime at floorcraft. Even with all of the people there, many were still not dancing, inc. me, as the men will not ask women to dance for any number of reasons, and the women (well, me) get tired of asking or tired of getting turned down (again, any number of reasons). Good, party-like atmosphere, so-so on the dancing, or lack thereof.

Maybe I'm just cranky. DP has been out of town so it will be close to 2 weeks when I finally do see him and betweem my knee/ankle on the left side and neuroma/plantar fasciitis on the right, this body just seems to be throwing in the towel!

Oops, sorry, this is starting to sound like the Whining Thread :)

Sagitta

Double dose Friday starting with Jazz at the Oasis from 6:30 to 8:15pm, cut a tad early for the Latin night at Syracuse, a 1 hour 20 min drive. I danced from 9:30pm to 2:00am in the morning. :)

Sagitta

checked out a very local club with an allegedly well-attended "latin night". something like 700 people attend every friday. alas... it was just an over-crowded ear-splitting meat market with latin music.......

i met some nice people and made plans to take them somewhere more dancer-y another time, but i left early... before my lungs could absorb a second pack of cigs.:shock:
It seems you are having quite an interesting time in Tampa Samina. ;-)

samina

haha... well... making the most of it, sadge. ;)

i learned the day after attending that last place that a woman was killed there last year, and there was a recent shooting. i knew within 2 seconds of entering the place it was like no other i'd attended. won't be returning, obviously.

It's our turn to decorate for our monthly Friday Night Dance Club dance which we will do this afternoon, however we won't be at the dance. Instead we will be at a HS homecoming football game. Our granddaughter is part of the half-time festivities and in the running for homecoming queen.

It's our turn to decorate for our monthly Friday Night Dance Club dance which we will do this afternoon, however we won't be at the dance. Instead we will be at a HS homecoming football game. Our granddaughter is part of the half-time festivities and in the running for homecoming queen.
Oh neat!! Hope she gets it! :)

Giving my home town (of a year or so) one last chance to prove there is somewhere to dance on Friday nights without driving for two hours...not holding my breath, but is it too much to ask for a secret underground ballroom community on my own doorstep?? Cross your fingers!

wonderwoman

Tomorrow night, send off party for a well known salsa instructor in Pitt who is continuing his career in Chicago... I've never been to this particular club, as it's downtown, but I have a friend to go with. :)

Phil Owl

Definitely, checking out a new dance group (for me) Country Western Social Club has a last Friday of the month dance called Friday Knights, not just 2-step but LOTS of Swing (EC and WC), Hustle, Latin and more. Looking forward to it.

I’m hoping to go dancing tonight if time permits. I would like get a haircut right after work because I need one so badly. It’s so bothersome that I can’t let today go by without one. I was supposed to get one earlier this week but the barber has been very busy this week with customers. There is a “Salsa Styling and Footwork” two-hour workshop at my studio today that I would love to go to along with the social right after. But it starts at 7:30pm. I get out of work at 5pm and usually I get home around 6pm. Assuming the haircut takes an extra half hour if I get one on my way home and I can eat dinner in 15 minutes, I can just about make it, giving myself a 45 minutes to commute to the studio, which is just enough time. However, if this tight schedule doesn’t work out, then I may have to forgo my dancing plan for tonight, sadly. Not sure how it will work as this schedule sounds *really* tight. But I'll take it as it comes.

Dance Ads